Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Here is the part. The main element is around 1/8th of an inch wide.
Yeah, it's usually some tiny piece of electronics that can take the whole system down

Anyway, after calling Pentax and a couple authorized repairs shops and finding out it would cost a minimum of $200 to fix a K20D, and that's assuming it was a fairly easy fix, I decided to just sell the K20D as-is. Turns out the person who bought it from me just wanted it to use with his manual focus Taks, so it worked out well (all things considered) for both of us; I didn't have to bother dealing with the repair and he got a K20D body w/o AF for half prce.

03-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you do that, make sure you're actually on the AF point you want, btw, especially if the red indicators are off.

It's only happened to me twice, but just on occasion I'm like 'WTF is wrong here,' and not realizing I've moved the focus point unintentionally so it's pointing off nowhere. Then I'm like, "Hrm. Slow on the uptake tonight, aren't we, RML."

Just happened to me last night, is why I mention: one of my lenses doesn't like the far left and right points and behaves like that even if I'm deliberately trying to use those points.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-08-2010 at 10:46 AM.
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Before you do that, make sure you're actually on the AF point you want, btw, especially if the red indicators are off.

It's only happened to me twice, but just on occasion I'm like 'WTF is wrong here,' and not realizing I've moved the focus point unintentionally so it's pointing off nowhere. Then I'm like, "Hrm. Slow on the uptake tonight, aren't we, RML."
Unfortunately that wasn't it. Ironically, one time I was so excited to open up a brand new lens I bought that I mounted it up and started firing away. The focus was way off most of the time and for a few minutes thought I had bought a dud... until I realized I my focus point was not set on the center point (like I had thought it was).

No, the issue had something to do with the in-body motor and/or the electronic control system for it. My SDM lens focused fine and using manual focus you could still get the AF confirmation. It was just screw-driven lenses that would not focus correctly using the in-body AF-motor.
03-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #19

I believed this is the same AF failure I experienced with the first K20D I had. In my case, it was fine for the first 3 shots after I got it, and failed on the 4th shot. I had purchased the camera a day before going on vacation, and the problem occurred during the train ride to my destination. At first I had mistaken the problem for AF hunting due to low light, as the train ride was at night. But the next day out in the sun it was doing the same thing and that's when I realized that something was wrong. But that didn't stop me from taking a few hundred photos with my DA16-45, using MF.

When I got back from my trip, I promptly took the camera back to the store and showed them the problem with my DA16-45 and FA*200. Since it was happening with both lenses, I was sure that it was a camera issue. They agreed as well, and gave me a replacement body on the spot. Incidentally, the 2nd body had a much higher serial number - I wonder if this was a common issue with the early production runs?