Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLR actuations

I just recently purchased a K-x for about a week and I've already at about 3,000 actuations (and no, I didn't sit around all day holding the release trigger cause the continuous shot sound so fast).

I heard that modern day DSLR has a life span of about 100,000 actuations, so have I just took 3% of the camera's lifespan in a matter of a week, or should I not worry about it?

03-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be too worried about the lifespan problem. Usually the first week of a new product is very gruel some as you are playing with all the new features and tidbits. 3000 does seem high to me but that's just me. But to be honest I don't think you did all those 300 shots as most cameras are tested with by the manufacturer and some of that maybe from them. If you think about it 100,000 actuation is 100,000 photos that's a whole lot if your an amateur or even a beginner.
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I just recently purchased a K-x for about a week and I've already at about 3,000 actuations (and no, I didn't sit around all day holding the release trigger cause the continuous shot sound so fast).

I heard that modern day DSLR has a life span of about 100,000 actuations, so have I just took 3% of the camera's lifespan in a matter of a week, or should I not worry about it?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The K-x is an "entry level" body and as such, if/when you reach the end of it's "life span", you'll want to upgrade to a more robust body if you're enjoying the hobby, or may just want an upgraded (features and such) entry level again.

Remember, when getting into the DSLR world, you're not just buying one camera unit, you're buying into a line of products. Bodies come and go very quickly, new models come out often, but the lenses are what stay with you.

Case in point, my mother had an old film Pentax with three lenses for it (PK mount). She stopped using the camera about 10 years ago when I got her a digi-point'n'shoot. Now that I have a K-x, I'm able to use her old lenses. Glass lasts a LONG time if treated well.
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

100k actuations is a good round figure, but it could very well be trouble free far beyond that. One plus of getting to 100k actuations over the next year or so would be, you're getting lot's of shooting in and hopefully means you are taking some fantastic photographs.

Enjoy the camera!

Jason

03-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I've thought the same thing, though I've only hit 5000 shots after 3 months and that's nothing too extreme.

My thought is that even if my camera melts into a pool of melted plastic and scorched metal after the 100,000th actuation, i'll have surely gotten my money's worth out of it. If I wore it just firing the shutter to hear the continuous drive at work, then probably not. But if even one percent of those shots were keepers, a thousand good shots is worth a few hundres dollars.
03-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is seldom the shutter that actually breaks on an SLR any way. It is usually some of the electronics inside that decide not to work right. Back in the film days, it would probably have taken me a year and half to get to 1000 photos. My how times change.
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I racked up 4000+ the first month or so I had the Kx. Mostly fooling around with it, testing it out, trying out a bunch of different lenses, etc. I agree with the Rondec, if at some point down the road your Kx fails, it will likely be something other than the shutter. Also, as other posters have pointed out, 100,000 doesn't actually represent how many shutter actuations the camera can perform. That number represents the number of cycles for which a certain percent of shutter are expected to fail. What I haven't seen anywhere is what percentage of failures the 100,000 cycles refers to. Could be the number of cycles until a 50% failure rate, could be 100,000 until a 5% failure rate. Regardless, just enjoy the Kx and don't worry about the numbers
03-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone, that was very informative!

03-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Don't feel too bad, I have heard of wedding photog that brag that they take 3000-5000 at a wedding. I have seen people try and do the math and it doesn't make sense. So I think taking 5000 in a month could be construed as a little slow
03-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think 100,000 is on the low side

From what I've read about modern shutter construction I think 100,000 is low. I've heard that 200,000 or more is quite doable.