Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Metering problem on K10D?

Metering mode: muti-pattern
Shooting environment: indoor lighted. Object is lighted by room fluorescent light while surrounding is darker.
Data: P mode, 1/5s, F1.8, ISO800
Syndrome:
1. As soon as I half press shutter button, Tv value changes to 0.5", Av stays same, and both are flashing. If I go ahead and take a shot, it is overexposed.
2. If I change metering mode to one of the other two modes, it is fine. The shot is correctly exposed.
I checked K10D's specs. Muti-pattern metering mode works for EV0~21. Maybe the EV of my shooting condition is below EV0? Any idea?

Last edited by hyyz; 03-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the reading changes when you half-pres the shutte,r that suggests you probably have the AE point linked to the AF point. Is that what you want? Could that explain the overexposure? That is, the object itself is exposed OK, but things around it are not? Anyhow, from the exposure settings you list, sounds like you're definitely pushing the metering limits of the camera. In extreme low light, you're almost always better off in M mode and setting exposure yourself.
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Metering mode: muti-pattern
2. If I change metering mode to one of the other two modes, it is fine. The shot is correctly exposed.
It's pretty clearly a case of the multi picking up the darker sections of the room and over exposing. it's exactly why you have centre weighted metering ..... that's what it is for.
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I should correct this. It is not as soon as I half press; it is right after focus is achieved (focus light on) but just before the shot is taken that I see the flashing of Av & Tv.

I kinda agree with Marc that I may have the AE point linked to the AF point. I'll double check that. However, I always use center focus point. So, like Alfisti said, some darker areas may be picked up by some of the 16 patterns.

It is strange that no other users have reported experiencing this. I encountered this problem quite often.

03-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They ar enot reporting it because it's doing what it's supposed to. I never use matrix, i use centre weighted only.