Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
firmware 1.30 released for K10D

There's a new firmware update for the K10D up on the Pentax USA web site, here.

The update specifically addresses only one issue, support for the supersonic motor drive lenses that will be released later this year. It is possible that there are other fixes included in the release that are not publicly acknowledged, but it's always hard to tell.

I am not recommending the update, just mentioning it. If you decide to update, instructions will be found on that page. It's not hard to do, if you follow the instructions carefully. It is rather more difficult to fix the problem that might be caused by NOT following the instructions carefully.

I'm off to install now.

Will

07-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #2

Have noticed that with downloading the firmware to the camera you now have to preoad the update to your cameras memeory card first where'as previousley with the istDS one could download directly to the camera from a saved folder in your PC..
Can that still be done??..
Cheers
08-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #3

thank you for the info WMBP. i got my K10d month ago with the firmware 1.0 and want to update to 1.20(as u dont recommend for the 1.30 update) and i couldnt find any download on the internet for it. the only download file i can find is v1.30 , do i need to update step by step from 1.0 to1.1 to 1 .20 or the v1.30 includes all? thank you!
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slinn Quote
thank you for the info WMBP. i got my K10d month ago with the firmware 1.0 and want to update to 1.20(as u dont recommend for the 1.30 update) and i couldnt find any download on the internet for it. the only download file i can find is v1.30 , do i need to update step by step from 1.0 to1.1 to 1 .20 or the v1.30 includes all? thank you!
No, each update completely replaces whatever firmware is in the camera. You can go from any version right up to the newest one. (You cannot go BACK to a previous version - at least not without hacking the firmware - though.)

Don't worry. 1.30 works just fine for the vast majority of people. Read the instructions FIRST. Most update problems happen because people skip what turns out to be an important step. The two most important points are to make sure your battery is fully charged first and do NOT turn off the power until it says "complete." Also, once you expand the compressed update file, copy the .bin file to a formatted SD card. Do not copy it to any folders on the card; just drag the .bin file directly onto the card icon itself. Insert the card, hold down the MENU button while turning on the camera, and the update starts automatically.

Once it is complete, don't forget to reformat the card.

I am sure I missed something, so READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I have formatted istD, K10D and K100D bodies many many times and have never had the slightest problem.

08-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #5

thank you very much Chickenhawk for your time to my question in such detail! i can now update my k10d. Cheers! slinn
08-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I am not recommending the update, just mentioning it.
Not sure, but it looks as if someone here may have misunderstood my statement that I wasn't recommending the update. What I meant was, I'm not telling anybody what to do. Not just because I don't generally do that, but also because at the point I started this thread to announce the 1.30 firmware update, I hadn't installed it myself.

I certainly did NOT mean that I was positively recommending that you avoid this update.

In other words, for myself, I think most updates are very likely good things and I try to get them and install them a.s.a.p. But some people take the approach that, if it doesn't seem to be broke, don't fix it, which is reasonable. And some people seem to be afraid of firmware updates, which is less reasonable, in my opinion, but not simply paranoid.

So, um, I reported -- you decide. ;-)

Will
08-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

No worries Will. I actually read it the way you intended it anyway.

I am also one who updates asap, and I have never had a problem with Pentax updates.