Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-X Dust Function?

The function on the K-X (where it shows you where on the sensor the dust are. It seems like every time I do it, it is different? How accurate is this function? Anyone used this function yet? ;P?

03-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
The function on the K-X (where it shows you where on the sensor the dust are. It seems like every time I do it, it is different? How accurate is this function? Anyone used this function yet? ;P?
Point the camera at a blank (white or light colored) wall and don't move it while it's making the image.The first time I used it on the K20d, it scared me until I figured that out.. When used properly, it's actually quite accurate.

03-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

I use my lcd monitor as a background for the dust function... just open up "notepad" or whatever the mac equivalent is if you swing that way, and zoom on in. of course, your monitor has to be clean or it will fool the dust function. it provides a flat, uniformly lit white surface.

I've found sometimes the dust finder reports dust on the lens' rear element, rather than on the sensor.
03-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe, thanks guys! Okay, I see now. That's awesome!

03-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm not ready to get into this yet since the camera is so new, but how do you guys have dust removal set up?

Is there a disadvantage to having it activate every time the camera powers up (possible mechanical failure), and you manually trigger it if from time to time instead?
03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm not ready to get into this yet since the camera is so new, but how do you guys have dust removal set up?

Is there a disadvantage to having it activate every time the camera powers up (possible mechanical failure), and you manually trigger it if from time to time instead?
I don't know that there's any Advantage to having it run on every startup, which mine do. I don't know because if it's working, I never see the dust that it shook off. I do know that for dust it Doesn't remove, no amount of shaking ever gets rid of it. It then requires (in this order),

A Blower clean- Rocket Blower, etc
A Dry clean- Pentax's O-ICK1 is my fav, some use the Arctic Butterfly (spinning paintbrush)
A Wet clean- Eclips 2 and Sensor swabs or similar

In 5 Pentax DSLRs, I've done a wet clean once. It didn't work, which prompted my purchase of the AB. Just slid the dust around on the sensor (and is for sale right now in the marketplace). Interim, I bought the Pentax cleaning kit, and for an invasive (touch the sensor) cleaning method, I've found nothing better. Wet cleaning should be reserved for when there is an actual chemical smudge of some sort on the sensor. Be it a watermark, finger oil from accidentally touching it, or similar. I don't know how tough the sensor cover filter really is but what you obviously don't want to do, is scratch it. They won't replace it without replacing the entire sensor ($400+).

As far as disadvantage, everything mechanical will eventually fail. I (hope) don't really think there is any real harm in letting it run on startup.
03-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

I have mine set to shake at power on ... dunno if it helps, probably a little bit for really light dust.

I've found running dust removal and turning the camera several times works A LOT better than just running dust removal a few times with the camera stationary. First run is with normal orientation, second is 90 deg to the left, third is upside down, fourth is lens pointed at the floor. I've managed to shake loose even big chunks of dust that way.

03-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Thanks guys! That all makes sense!
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
On my k-x, it is not accurate at all. I don't use it anymore.
03-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Porga Quote
On my k-x, it is not accurate at all.
It always is if you aim at a completely featureless target (eg, a sheet of white paper, or blue sky) when performing the function. But if there's anything at all in the scene you are shooting - including texturing on a wall or fabric - that will be incorrectly interpreted as dust.