Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Why dont you just set your custom function "AF with halfway" turned off and set custom function "AF button" set to enable autofocus.

that way, you can continue to keep the subject in focus by tapping the AF button
then when you snap the shot, there is no need to confirm...it just shoots when you tell it.

8)

10-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
John? How ARE YOU? I am so glad to have read your beautifully written post. You are a fine writer and I have missed some of the enlightening advice you have shared here on the forum. I am so glad that you are back..Sincerely...Knowing you, you will think I was being sarcastic. No John I meant what I said and yes I get a really kick out of "BUZZ" marketing one of my specialties.

Ben...

PS: I will be away for some time working on the other side of the camera for a while as a creative director. I will share what that is shortly as I cannot share the info as it may affect the launch, being that a teaser is part of the campaign. None the less, if you can make it to Paris the 6 &7th of October, I would love to meet you and chat.

PSS..Some images taken without a camera...And Published
I rediscovered this thread, and saw that it had evolved further. I was a little saddened to see that two users, whom I generally read from, and have found valuable info from in the past; had clashed earlier on.
But going through the thread, I see that there still is mutual respect, and acknowledgement of where each person stands.

John, one of your funniest and straight to the point posts, are in this thread that I stumbled upon some time ago :

Regretfull that I tried to help you: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Follow-up from the Regretfull One: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I think we generally have fun in our forums, and donít take ourselves too seriously. It is great that there can be a friendly tone, but my general stance is that on the net, every once and a while, some people need to be told in clear terms, how the situation is. Hence, why I like to read posts from jfdavis58, Luzart, *Isteve, etc.

Great pictures BTW. Looking forward to hearing how all the Salon de Paris went.
10-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I rediscovered this thread, and saw that it had evolved further. I was a little saddened to see that two users, whom I generally read from, and have found valuable info from in the past; had clashed earlier on.
But going through the thread, I see that there still is mutual respect, and acknowledgement of where each person stands.

John, one of your funniest and straight to the point posts, are in this thread that I stumbled upon some time ago :

Regretfull that I tried to help you: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Follow-up from the Regretfull One: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I think we generally have fun in our forums, and donít take ourselves too seriously. It is great that there can be a friendly tone, but my general stance is that on the net, every once and a while, some people need to be told in clear terms, how the situation is. Hence, why I like to read posts from jfdavis58, Luzart, *Isteve, etc.

Great pictures BTW. Looking forward to hearing how all the Salon de Paris went.
Our "jfdavis58" quite frankly is brilliant. His intellect is sharp as a razor and I must say that he has a level of integrity that I aspire to achieve. My only regret is that he wasn't able to come to Paris for the "Salon de la Photo" last week. He would have been a special guest of mine in the VIP room. I would have finished a magnum of champagne with him and probably had a great laugh...Here is to John!
10-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #109

Thanks for the revival Ben

I am glad this thread has been revived, I must have missed it in it's first iteration. Some great comments were well written and to the point.

My father said many times, and I have heard similar from other sources that;

'It is not the price or the quality of the tool that controls the skill of the tradesman, but rather the ability of the tradesman to control the tool to achieve the desired outcome.'

Is photography any different, really?

Another oft quoted statement, 'A poor tradesman always blames his tools.... '

Of course, nowadays we should say.. 'Tradesperson..' (not that there is anything wrong with that...)

Phil

10-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My grandfather was a carpenter and sculptor. The man would carve a scene on wood, rock, mother of pearl, or an egg shell with equal ease. No matter how many times I saw him do it, I was always amazed. He used no laser cutters, no 3D modeling tools, no computerized wood turners (not that they were available to him back in the 70s and 80s :-) When carving into rock or wood he would use a well-worn carving tool and a thick piece of leather as a pivot support for the tool. All else came from him and his rugged hands.

As many very talented individuals here can prove, the talent behind a photo has little to do with the price paid for the equipment. Otherwise... everyone and their mother with extra cash laying around would be an instant pro photographer once they bought a "pro level" camera .
10-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
G5

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
My grandfather was a carpenter and sculptor. The man would carve a scene on wood, rock, mother of pearl, or an egg shell with equal ease. No matter how many times I saw him do it, I was always amazed. He used no laser cutters, no 3D modeling tools, no computerized wood turners (not that they were available to him back in the 70s and 80s :-) When carving into rock or wood he would use a well-worn carving tool and a thick piece of leather as a pivot support for the tool. All else came from him and his rugged hands.

As many very talented individuals here can prove, the talent behind a photo has little to do with the price paid for the equipment. Otherwise... everyone and their mother with extra cash laying around would be an instant pro photographer once they bought a "pro level" camera .
Shot with a circa 2002-3 5 mega pixel Casio QV-5700 and published...
Attached Images

10-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Why has "pro camera" come to mean only speed?

Guess all those pros shooting medium format aren't really pros. Haven't seen one of these cameras capable of 5fps. Feel sorry for the 4x5 and 8x10 shooters. They must not be pros either. They don't even have af. All those shots from Adams, Weston, and others are just amatuerish. Such a shame.
Hey, the D200 and all the big dog Canon and Nikons aren't pro either. According to my Pro video shooting friend (tv station). Who would live with a paltry 5 frames a second when there is 24fps (with sound even)?
Pentax is more into landscape and art while the big two are into speed. You don't compare an Indy car to an off road Baja racer. Pro uses what is needed to create HIS/HER image.
thanks
barondla
10-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #113

Why does this subject make people so angry?

This is my first post, but the subject of a "PRO" Pentax DSLR is the reason I joined the forum. I have been a professional photographer using Pentax equipment for over 35 years- some "pro", most not. The pro cameras (3 LXs) were purchased for their features, not for the thrill of overpaying. When I purchased my istd, I really had to convince myself that staying with Pentax was the right thing to do. Having read an interview with Pentax's senior vice president of sales and marketing where he said "As regards to professional 35mm SLRs, Pentax really is not in that business. The professional market, as such, belongs to Nikon, and to a lesser extent, to Canon.", I had to wonder if they felt the same way about DSLRs. I tried the Canon 10d, Nikon D100, Olympus E-1, and whatever Fuji had, and just liked the Pentax more. Now, all of those cameras have 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generations, and Pentax has not kept up. That does not mean I am putting down the K10D in anyway. I have used one and it seems to be a very nice camera. But, for the kind of photography I do, the faster speed, more accurate focusing and low light level performance has forced me to rent other manufacturer's equipment. Also, all of the new models from the other makers allow me to use my 20 gbs worth of compact flash cards (my latest email from Pentax stated 'I think compact flash is pretty unlikely to be on a future model"). Another feature missing is a PC socket- I know I could buy an adapter and work around it, but My istd has it, and so do the upgraded models from Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc.
So, why all the angry responses to the subject? I WANT to stay with Pentax, and am willing to pay a fair price for the features I need, but I am not optimistic that Pentax feels the need to support the professional photographer- I hope I am wrong.

10-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #114
and
Veteran Member

as far as compact flash goes, i hope they dont include that. its time to get over compact flash... you can get 8gb sd cards that are so much smaller, i dont see why they should include the old cf format. give us multiple sd slots, 2 slots, maybe 2 more on the grip, lots of people have several sd cards, what nicer place to store them than in the camera itself, no need to change cards, the camera will switch over to the next one when one is full.
10-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am quite taken a back by many of the questions regarding the pro capacity of the K10D. There have been the doubting Thomas's that ask.."Is there a Pro Pentax?" or why doesn't Pentax make a pro camera etc etc etc. The answer is this. The K10D is the Nikon D200 of Pentax. It compares favorably with all of the top end dslr's on the market. So why these insecurities? I think it has more to do with the perceived value of the camera. If it sold for 1500Ä, the public perception would be the contrary. Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.
I happen to own a D200 and A D40 and I can tell you that I far prefer my Pentax Cameras...The D200 has nothing not even in the ISO shots over the K10D.
10-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Shot with a circa 2002-3 5 mega pixel Casio QV-5700 and published...
I love your work and this shot is excellent. Just love the tone of this picture. Care to give an insight how you achieve the colour? Thanks.
10-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #117

To me, it's not about if it has the "po" status behind it or not. For me, it's all about a camera that has the performance I'm looking for. I went wit the k100d, it was my first dslr. But now the more I use it, and the more I determine what type of shooting I like t do. It's not what I want any more. Now i want a camera that has fast/accurate AF. and can click off plenty fps. It's not about the price or status of a camera. it's what it can do for me. Not what it can do for other people. I'm nowhere near being a "pro". But I still know what I want and what I'm looking for in a camera.

That is all, have a good day/night.
01-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I have tested all my Pentax autofocus lenses with the K10D, and accuracy is 100%. However, when I tried my Sigma AF 24 f/2.8, it backfocused slightly.
My experience is that if the camera and/or the lenses are front- or backfocusing, then the camera and/or the lenses are miscalibrated and this can be fixed by Pentax (for Pentax original lenses).

Another thing regarding autofocus - is that if you use the center-point and re-composing technique, you change the camera to subject distance so the camera is no longer focused on the subject. It is here the 11 point AF comes in so handy, select a point that is the closest to the subject to minimise the re-composing as much as possible. Another factor is that the AF sensors are much larger than displayed in the viewfinder, they cover a larger area. And the AF picks up the closest thing to the camera to focus upon. Say that you, for example, focus on a structure (not a flat, plain, surface) the AF will detect the highest point of the structure and focus upon it, even if it is very small and lies out of the visible AF indicication point in the viewfinder. Care must be taken when shooting.

Oh, lenses with SDM (Supersonic Direct Motor) will be released for Pentax after the summer. I believe that you will enjoy their performance.

Take care
R
You know, whenever I see this kind of long-winded discussion about autofocusing, autoexposure, scene modes, etc. it just reminds me of how much I believe that all of this auto-fill-in-the-blank crap is ruining photography. Have all the "professional" photographers who "must" have "fast, accurate AUTO focus" forgotten how to uh, TWIST a FOCUSING RING?! By the time you choose your appropriate auto focus "point" (which may well be changing as the subject moves anyway) and locked in and recomposed and on and on you could've just twisted the focusing ring until what you wanted to be in focus was in focus and snapped the bloody picture. Is it just me?
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #119
Inactive Account

There is a very large set of weird people out there. Here is a case in point. My first DSLR was a Canon Digital Rebel. It was all silver, but I was the happiest photographer alive as I had been dreaming of an affordable DSLR after spending way too much on a Nikon Coolpix 990 back in 2000. Well, wouldn't you know it. I go onto various photogaphy forums all pumped up about the new acquisition, and lo and behold, there is a huge number of nut cases out there who are dissasembling their cameras to spray paint it black simply because the silver wasn't "pro" looking. Bwhahaha!

Another case in point. There seems to be this misguided notion that Canon and Nikon are for action and wildlife photographers, and Pentax is more for landscapers and other sedentary endeavors. Not sure where and how this comes up. I mean, people were shooting wildlife and action shots before that pesky invention we call autofocus came about. Seriously, any camera can do anything the photographer puts his/her mind to it. Some cameras make those jobs easier to obtain, and others don't. this does not mean that a Pentax is only good for landscapes only.

I have a co-worker who much prefers rangefinders and is now getting into medium format photography. He likes the manual only cameras where you need an external light meter. I learned on just such a camera. He just got into photography a few years ago and is enjoying it immensely. He takes really nice photos as well. My point is that the camera does not make you a pro, nor does your gear. It is what you do with it that is the qualifying quotient.
01-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Well said, Chako. Know what? I still use a hand held meter (incident light), since it's accurate - every time. Reflected light metering is not, because it is all subject to the same basic (but not always applicable) assumption, which is that whatever is in your viewfinder will reflect 18
% of the light that is hitting it. Correct exposures with reflected light meters (regardless of their supposed sophistication) are happy accidents, nothing more.