Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #91

Is that soemthing that can be resolved with a firmware patch or the new DA* lenses?

07-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
Is that soemthing that can be resolved with a firmware patch or the new DA* lenses?

I certainly hope so.
08-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #93
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote

Here it comes. I wish I got paid a nickel for every time I have said it. People are professional, cameras are tools.
"Amateurs worry about the equipment; professionals worry about the money; masters worry about the light."

I use my istD and K10D bodies to make money so I guess I am a pro but there are many very talented people - some of whom are in this forum - who aren't professionals, but could blow my stuff away in a heartbeat. I don't tell them what to buy and they don't tell me. In all my years in this game, I have come to form some simple rules (remembering that "rules" in photography are much like the code of pirates: more like guidelines, really.)

#1 - REAL pros never disparage any other pro's choice of equipment. Only amateurs criticize another person's camera because real pros know there are as many styles of shooting as there are shooters, and what works for one may not work for another. Pros will usually buy the best camera they can afford that gets the results they need to make money.

#2 - Results are what counts. My clients don't give a whit about the camera, lens, resolution or whatever. They have never asked what either I or my 5D-toting partner use; they get the shots they need no matter which of us is shooting that day. While I sometimes lust after her 5D, every time I pick it up and compare the results with her Canon and 85mm 1.2 L lens against my K10D and 77mm 1.8 lens, I am more and more satisfied with my purchase.

#3 - There are a lot of issues involved in what camera is selected by professionals, and anyone who thinks Nikon can match the fast service provided by Canon's professional service division is sadly mistaken. Canon built a reputation based on fast service for pros (provided one is willing to pay HIGHLY for this privilege of course.) I have never gotten super fast service from Pentax Canada. On the other hand, that's why I never go out with less than two identical bodies and all my servicing from them has been done perfectly.

The bottom line: my clients don't care what I shoot with; they only care what I shoot. It meets their needs and Pentax currently meets my needs (which, if you think about it, is pretty much just meeting their needs.)
08-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #94
Inactive Account

(Be nice I'm new here)

I am not a professional, but I know a professional who have worked for several years, he said to me that the camera usually isn't the problem, if you know what you are doing a flimsy compact camera can sometimes be all that you really need. He said that doing the best with what you have available is what truly makes you professional. I know nothing about photography other than the basics (take the lens cap off etc. ). I am however a fairly professional graphical designer and I know that it is NOT the pricetag on your mac or the size of your screen that makes you good, it's what you can do regardless of equipment that really is the thing to worry about. I usually try to stay away from my computer as much as possible before my idea is in place, working by hand is what I really like and the best things I have done are usually "manually" made and only scanned and corrected slightly on the mac.

(And sorry to everyone if my english is bad, I try my best)

08-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ben; here goes nothing...

We positively clashed in a 'before time', then we managed to find some common ground. Perhaps we will find some more in this story. I still don't like your 'tease' threads about upcoming Pentax releases and in general choose to ignore most of your 'pro' aspect threads because I really don't care what people believe about or as pro level-most of those types are so full of bullpoop it's simply nonsense. You must get quite a kick out of starting such threads!

I have an Italian friend-really, in Italy. Speaks and writes American English very well cause I don't speak Italian! He's a Photographer--pro like you but not in fashion. More like erotic fantasy. He's goofy; knows that's what I think of him--likes it. We clashed once or twice in another forum. Like with you, I needed to take a long, hard, deep look at my motivations.

A couple years ago he did photography with a flashlight. Strong, emotive, exotic and erotic; a lot of death motif stuff. Then one day he grabbed a Pentax from a friend and did a self study with self portraits and shots of himself in a mirror and, well, more goofy stuff-way too conventional, entirely outstanding. Didn't want to give the pentax camera back to it's owner! He may still have it!

Today he makes photographs without a camera. Like I said, he's goofy. There ain't any prize involved, but anyone who can name the process or procedure would gain a measure of respect and admiration from this old pain-in-the-butt member. Technically, what he does is still photography, but only those with real knowledge, experience or artistic talent will fully appreciate that photography doesn't come from a camera or a 'pro' label or the size of it's price tag; it comes from the soul of the creator---did you find the common ground?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am quite taken a back by many of the questions regarding the pro capacity of the K10D. There have been the doubting Thomas's that ask.."Is there a Pro Pentax?" or why doesn't Pentax make a pro camera etc etc etc. The answer is this. The K10D is the Nikon D200 of Pentax. It compares favorably with all of the top end dslr's on the market. So why these insecurities? I think it has more to do with the perceived value of the camera. If it sold for 1500€, the public perception would be the contrary. Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.
08-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John?

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
We positively clashed in a 'before time', then we managed to find some common ground. Perhaps we will find some more in this story. I still don't like your 'tease' threads about upcoming Pentax releases and in general choose to ignore most of your 'pro' aspect threads because I really don't care what people believe about or as pro level-most of those types are so full of bullpoop it's simply nonsense. You must get quite a kick out of starting such threads!

I have an Italian friend-really, in Italy. Speaks and writes American English very well cause I don't speak Italian! He's a Photographer--pro like you but not in fashion. More like erotic fantasy. He's goofy; knows that's what I think of him--likes it. We clashed once or twice in another forum. Like with you, I needed to take a long, hard, deep look at my motivations.

A couple years ago he did photography with a flashlight. Strong, emotive, exotic and erotic; a lot of death motif stuff. Then one day he grabbed a Pentax from a friend and did a self study with self portraits and shots of himself in a mirror and, well, more goofy stuff-way too conventional, entirely outstanding. Didn't want to give the pentax camera back to it's owner! He may still have it!

Today he makes photographs without a camera. Like I said, he's goofy. There ain't any prize involved, but anyone who can name the process or procedure would gain a measure of respect and admiration from this old pain-in-the-butt member. Technically, what he does is still photography, but only those with real knowledge, experience or artistic talent will fully appreciate that photography doesn't come from a camera or a 'pro' label or the size of it's price tag; it comes from the soul of the creator---did you find the common ground?
John? How ARE YOU? I am so glad to have read your beautifully written post. You are a fine writer and I have missed some of the enlightening advice you have shared here on the forum. I am so glad that you are back..Sincerely...Knowing you, you will think I was being sarcastic. No John I meant what I said and yes I get a really kick out of "BUZZ" marketing one of my specialties.

Ben...

PS: I will be away for some time working on the other side of the camera for a while as a creative director. I will share what that is shortly as I cannot share the info as it may affect the launch, being that a teaser is part of the campaign. None the less, if you can make it to Paris the 6 &7th of October, I would love to meet you and chat.

PSS..Some images taken without a camera...And Published
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
08-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #97
Inactive Account

PSS..Some images taken without a camera...And Published
What does it mean "taken without a camera" does this mean photoshop? If so, im not very impressed, I understand you are a professional and all that and Im not saying that I would have taken better pictures, but I am curious. If this is done purely in photoshop I would say it is a mediocre job, the sky is loking very fake in one of the shots. I understand that you are a professional photographer but even so, I dont think that was a very good shot, If its real I am amazed, and I would be very impressed if it is, but I dont think it is. I know that I am a Newbie on this forum and that I dont know a SHIT about Photohraphy but To me that shot doesent seem good at all. Even so, it got published and that means I am most likeley wrong in some ways of my judgement of this photo. I would like to know more about the "not taken with a camera" aspect of this job.

(sorry if my english is bad, and sorry if I am stepping on someones toes with my critique, i am not trying to be an arse, I am just stating my point of view)

08-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sky Low JPEG Quality

QuoteOriginally posted by sortebill Quote
What does it mean "taken without a camera" does this mean photoshop? If so, im not very impressed, I understand you are a professional and all that and Im not saying that I would have taken better pictures, but I am curious. If this is done purely in photoshop I would say it is a mediocre job, the sky is loking very fake in one of the shots. I understand that you are a professional photographer but even so, I dont think that was a very good shot, If its real I am amazed, and I would be very impressed if it is, but I dont think it is. I know that I am a Newbie on this forum and that I dont know a SHIT about Photohraphy but To me that shot doesent seem good at all. Even so, it got published and that means I am most likeley wrong in some ways of my judgement of this photo. I would like to know more about the "not taken with a camera" aspect of this job.

(sorry if my english is bad, and sorry if I am stepping on someones toes with my critique, i am not trying to be an arse, I am just stating my point of view)
The sky is pixelating because this is a very low quality and highly compressed JPEG. The original has none of these artifacts. These images were all done as "Scans" on my Epson 3200 Photo Scanner. I built all of the sets directly over the principle object except for the sky image. As to the Sky Looking Fake..Everything in this image is intended to look very "Dali-esque" or "Surrealistic" Not "NORMAL" Yechhhhhhh.....

Ben
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 08-12-2007 at 07:58 AM.
08-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #99

The sky is pixelating because this is a very low quality and highly compressed JPEG. The original has none of these artifacts. These images were all done as "Scans" on my Epson 3200 Photo Scanner. I built all of the sets directly over the principle object except for the sky image. As to the Sky Looking Fake..Everything in this image is intended to look very "Dali-esque" or "Surrealistic" Not "NORMAL" Yechhhhhhh.....

Ben
Good fun, innit?
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #100
Inactive Account

Sortebill, to paraphrase: be nice, you're new here.
08-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #101

Just to add, my father was a professional photographer working for Kodak for many years and taught me a lot in our home darkroom. Back then everything was film and he had a number of different cameras Mamiya, Kodak, Blad and Pentax. It's funny that I never saw him buy either a C or N brand, but I've seen him use them many times, he's now using an *iSTD and a K10. It all comes down to what fits the photographer and his/her style of shooting and needs. As for myself I've never owned anything but a Pentax (and still have them all) with the exeption of my Mamiya C333. I didn't stick with Pentax becuase of brand loyalty, I just found them to be dependable and always met my needs. When I was looking for something to replace my *iSTD I was looking at going with C (couldn't afford N) when the K10 was announced. After doing a review of all of the specs of both the C (Rebel) and the K10 I chose to purchase the K10, once again NOT for brand loyalty but because of the quality of the camera and what I like to use it for. I just don't think a C would have survived the week my family just spent at the beach where I stood waist deep in the ocean shooting pics of my kids on boogie boards and getting hit by sea spray all day. The K10 never failed me and my Sigma 135-400 stood up just fine.

So I guess I'm saying why argue over what does it matter if the camera is considered "Pro" or not. Photographers will purchase what they need to meet their needs.

Last edited by MShawn63; 08-14-2007 at 09:50 AM.
08-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I think that the K10D was not meant to be a professional camera in that it was never touted that way by Pentax. This, of course, doesn't mean that you can't make a living using the camera. There are different levels of camera. When Ned Bunnell posted pics of the K10d w/grip next to his EOS1 he made note that the two different cameras were being marketed to two entirely different markets.

Personally, I like the K10D and have had good success with it. I have, however, missed shots of in flight birds because of slow focus. I don't have f/2.8 and f/4 glass either for my zooms because I can't afford it. My Bigma has to do. Both the lens and the camera have to be considered when assessing focusing. Low light performance is always going to be slower. Hence the desire for larger aperture.

All in all I think the K10D is a good performer. Being a pro is as much about the photographer as it is the camera, BUT you need to have equipment that will do what it is supposed to when it is supposed to. The more features, the more we think "pro"... this is a Nikon/Canon world right now. Perhaps things will change. I am hoping for good things with whatever model usurps the K10D next year. Let's face it, why replace it (as flag ship) so quickly if it was meant to be a "pro" model. Obviously Pentax intends to come out with something "better"...
08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Pal

QuoteOriginally posted by oxford_artist Quote
Sortebill, to paraphrase: be nice, you're new here.
My skin is pretty thick..Live and learn I guess. Thanks for your kind support though.

Ben
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #104
Inactive Account

Hi all

This is my first post on this forum so this is my opinion for what its worth.

Many years ago I bought a pentax "super a" great camera. I can remember at the time ther was a debate raging about motorwind speeds and do sports photographers need 10fps. A well known professional at the time said that he did not use a motorwind as he wanted to choose the exact moment the photo was taken rather than use the machine gun approach and risk the shutter closing either just before or just after the action had taken place. skill over technology.

At the moment I am looking to get back into photography and have been looking at various cameras with a view to using them to turn semi pro.

I scoured the reviews comparing specifications and getting depressed that I would need at least a C 5d.

Then I went onto some photo library sites and started to look at what they required and found out that with a 10mp camera you could easily make a submission. Identify your market.

I am now looking to buy the K10D as it is priced similar to enthusiast level cameras but is comparible to (and has been compared to on this thread) much more expensive cameras like the d200.

I beleve that any camera that produces photographs that meet your photo buyers needs is a pro camera.

Thanks
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parcae Quote
(snip) I beleve that any camera that produces photographs that meet your photo buyers needs is a pro camera.

Well said. And a very nice start (first post) in this forum. Welcome.

stewart