Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did the repair hurt the IQ ?

Had my K20 in for repair (the SD card hardware needed to be replaced) and now I can no longer get the same kind of glass-cutting macro sharpness with the DA-35 lens. Here's an example (AWB, RAW f/3.5 @ 1/90s, SR and the focus point was the bee's thorax, the brightest part):

I'm using a split collar KatzEye lens and the Pentax 1.3x eyepiece, and everything looks correct in the camera focus just like pre-repair, but it's coming out a bit soft. Any idea what the "repair" could have done to cause this before I start yelling at them?
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 03-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Could this found in the Exif have anything to do with it?

"Sharpness = soft (1)"

Don't know, just asking. Anything could have happened while on the service bench..

03-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The more I look at it. The more it looks like the petals to the bee's left are the sharpest point.
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JeffJS, don't think the setting matters, it's a RAW image,
Brian

03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wildlifephotog, could be and that means the actual focus point is not even close to the "red" focus point I used... and it used to be a lot closer than that. It's almost as though the sensor and/or focus screen has been moved sideways in relation to the other , if such a thing is possible?
Brian
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Shouldn't happen, but possible. Does the red dot look centered in the focus screen?
I'd do a few tests. Use a tripod and pick definite focus points. See if it matches what you are really aiming at with the red dot.
They may have adjusted the focus values in the debug menu too.
03-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ran an AF check (don't flame me if you don't like this focus chart, it's what I have) and it looks good to me for neutral BF/FF.

Still, it isn't as sharp as it was pre-repair but I don't really know how to explain that, to the Forum or to the repair folks,
Brian

03-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems a little far fetched that a repair having to do with the SD card hardware would affect the ability of the sensor and ens to create a sharp image. I guess in a zen world anything is possible, but the idea seems a little out there.

Jason
03-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
wildlifephotog, could be and that means the actual focus point is not even close to the "red" focus point I used
Have you experimented to figure out how large the sensors are? But from I can see at this size, I'd agree the focus appear to be on the petal just to the left of the bee, and if the red dot was on the bee, the petal would almost *definitely* also be in range, so I don't see this image as indicating a problem. This type of image is exactly why AF is considered of limited value for macro photography.

BTW, depending on what RAW processing software oyu used, the fact that in-camera sharpening is set to a negative value may well have affected the results of the conversion - most RAW processing programs do look at your camera settings in setting their own defaults.
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jasvox, why would it be "far fetched?" Are you saying it can't happen, or just that you don't think it can happen? If you are saying "can't," then I'd like to see some support/citation for that; if you are saying "think," then I'll take that for what it's worth,
Brian
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, depending on what RAW processing software oyu used, the fact that in-camera sharpening is set to a negative value may well have affected the results of the conversion - most RAW processing programs do look at your camera settings in setting their own defaults.
marc, I'm using Adobe RAW 5.6 and I don't use the "25" sharpening default, preferring to do it in PS,
Brian
03-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Have you tried focus adjustment? Unless there are any Pentax techs on the forum, none of us know what might or might not be affected when any work is done to it.

As for the camera settings and shooting RAW, I can't answer as to whether they affect the RAW file or not but it's easy enough to test. I know that in my Photoshop Class, they have told us to turn down Contrast and Saturation for exposing to the right purposes but I believe that is because the settings do affect the histogram which could lead to underexposed RAW files. I'm waiting for confirmation of that.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

FHPhotographer,
Just taking your opinion that the focus has changed somehow as a fact, then trying to figure out how that might have happened.

Could it be that disassembly of the case is necessary to replace the SD card mechanism - i don't know. But it sounds likely that some case disassembly was required. If so, perhaps they didn't get the AF sensors aligned in the same way in post repair as they were in pre-repair. This might be a good question to ask the repair organization.
03-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
jasvox, why would it be "far fetched?" Are you saying it can't happen, or just that you don't think it can happen? If you are saying "can't," then I'd like to see some support/citation for that; if you are saying "think," then I'll take that for what it's worth,
Brian
Yes, far fetched. It's an opinion, not a fact since I wasn't the one who worked on your camera. What exactly do you mean by SD hardware? If you suspect it needs to be adjusted, just contact Pentax and have them look at it.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 03-06-2010 at 01:18 AM.
03-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it just gets better and better. The j$&%#&^((*&)(*(_(_)*&*)&(_*) thing is back in the shop because...

Brian