Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what do you set the sharpness and saturation to?

should i be changing my sharpness and saturation levels on the menu or is the general consensus to leave the default @ 0?

03-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #2

I would think most people adjust sharpness in PP.
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cinaibur Quote
I would think most people adjust sharpness in PP.
I'm with you on this one. I leave sharpness, saturation and contrast all set at 0 and handle all in PP.
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Zero. I do all my adjustments to the RAW files in post processing.

03-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Just started using my KX, and since I'm just doing JPEGS now--and the camera's processing has been so highly reviewed--I've been using Bright as +1 on both sharpness and saturation.

In time, I'll learn to realize and visualize all I can do in PP, but for now, I want to give the out of camera image a little edge, and plus one ain't no big deal.
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Just started using my KX, and since I'm just doing JPEGS now--and the camera's processing has been so highly reviewed--I've been using Bright as +1 on both sharpness and saturation.

In time, I'll learn to realize and visualize all I can do in PP, but for now, I want to give the out of camera image a little edge, and plus one ain't no big deal.
I would still be capturing RAW files. Once JPG settings are set and the files are made, it can be difficult (not impossible) to undo.

03-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I would still be capturing RAW files. Once JPG settings are set and the files are made, it can be difficult (not impossible) to undo.

Believe me--I hear where you're coming from. But it's only been a week and I haven't exactly been capturing any mind-blowing visuals yet anyway.

I also need to buy a new and larger card.
03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Believe me--I hear where you're coming from. But it's only been a week and I haven't exactly been capturing any mind-blowing visuals yet anyway.

I also need to buy a new and larger card.
I shot JPGs with my K-7 for a few days, too, just to get a fell for the camera. I was glad to switch over to shooting DNGs.

I don't know where I'd set everything in-camera, but for saturation, I think I'd go with natural. At least that's what seemed right to my eye with the K-7 in the few days I shot JPGs.

A new, bigger, faster card might be just the thing to get you started shooting in RAW, Ira. But don't rush: get to know the K-x first.

Enjoy!

03-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, find the settings that look right to you. Whenever I get a camera, I try all the settings and pick the ones that give the most natural results. I use a color-chart and such but you can eyeball it. The importance is the result. With the K-7, I find Saturation +1 and Fine Sharpness 2 +3 to give the best results.

Here I even did the K-7 sharpness test for everyone to try all 27 settings:
Pentax K-7 Image Sharpness | Neocamera.com

When trying out, make sure you look at both soft (the fur) and hard (the writing on the buttons) details.

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

All at their weakest/lowest other than off.
03-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
should i be changing my sharpness and saturation levels on the menu or is the general consensus to leave the default @ 0?
On my K10 all at centre except the sharp which is on max.the saturation and contrast are best left for PP.
I have found that either raw or jpeg if i pixel peep at a straight edge there is large difference to the jagged edge effect that is visible with it off and on. I also found that in pp regardless of which brand and which sharpening method applied there was no improvement over using the in camera one.
all this experimenting was done by me for my images long ago and I have used these settings both on a K100d and the k10 for a couple of years and see no reason not to. maybe it is my lenses or my head lenses??
Alistair
03-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've read that its best to have contrast set to minimum so that the camera can capture the most information available without clipping, in all situations. I noted that the OP didn't ask about contrast, wondering what other folks thought about contrast.

The others i set to natural and zero, adjusting during pp for only those that i work on.
03-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've read that its best to have contrast set to minimum so that the camera can capture the most information available without clipping, in all situations. I noted that the OP didn't ask about contrast, wondering what other folks thought about contrast.

The others i set to natural and zero, adjusting during pp for only those that i work on.

Philbaum: I have read the same thing elsewhere. I can't remember where. The gist was to set both the contrast and the saturation to a minimum if you are shooting RAW. The file you see on the LCD is a jpeg which uses your settings to generate a histogram. If you use this information to guide your manual metering or EV compensation you may be misled. More specifically, turning up the contrast and/or saturation may push the histogram to the right. This may in turn make you dial down the exposure, thereby underexposing. If you like to ETTR and shoot RAW, keep the settings to a minimum is what they say.
03-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

i shoot with contrast,saturation and sharpness to negative possible. later adjust it to my taste in cs or in lightroom.