Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Interesting - street shooting is the main reason I did get the K-7.

From the tests I've seen, in RAW the K-7 is very much up with the pack. K20D is perhaps slightly better at high ISO, but it didn't look like much of a difference.
I don't shoot raw and the K20D in my opinion is almost a stop better as far as Jpeg output goes. Most of my Street shooting is at ISO 1600

03-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, thanks guys! So much good info!

I don't have a ton of money, which makes the K-7 that much more appealing. And I don't take photos for money, just for me.

I don't shoot, or plan to shoot tons of sports, I'd just like the option to. Well, "action", like mountain biking anyway. I don't think that's quite as difficult as "real" sports, where the action is more random.

Another thing I'd like to get into more is "stobist" stuff. I know both the K-7 and d300s can trigger off-camera flashes with the built-in flash, but I'd probably get a hot-shoe remote setup anyway just to not have to worry about line-of-sight issues. (And they're cheap on ebay).

pb_red - I know exactly what you mean about buying into a system. I think if it were "just a camera" I wouldn't be so up in the air about it. When looking at the fast zooms, it's Pentax's SDM vs. Nikon's prices.

Groucho - Yeah, Rowe is where I went. They have Nikon and Canon only.

Arpe - nice rugby photos! What lens are you using for those?

Well, you guys are pushing me towards the K-7. It's not decided yet though. Certainly much to think about...

Greg
03-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote

Well, you guys are pushing me towards the K-7. It's not decided yet though. Certainly much to think about...

Greg
There are also those of us who owned the k-7 along with some SDM lenses, and have regretted the decision. Please make sure you at least try the other brands so you are not disappointed later.
03-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arpe - nice rugby photos! What lens are you using for those?
Thanks.
Sigma EX 70-200/f2.8 (non-macro, non-DG, non-HSM) with a Sigma EX 1.4 TC on it usually, except when it gets too dark, then take the TC off.

My thoughts are that the ISO noise of the K-7 is much on a par as the K20D, and the quiet shutter noise of the K-7 is great.

03-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes I think the noise above 800 is better. I'm still confused why you don't use the K7 for street shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The quiet shutter is very nice, I do wish the K20D was quieter. As far as ISO noise, I have not tested it yet with the new firmware. Is it better?
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Pentax lenses, so I shoot with Pentax cameras.
If I really needed a higher performance body than what Pentax makes, I would be shooting with whatever suited those needs, but I would be compromising on the glass.
To me, when the shutter is open, it's the lens that is between your camera and the subject.
I want that glass to be Pentax.
Regarding SDM, yes, there seems to be a somewhat high failure rate. I have one lens in the shop for it at the moment.
At the same time, I have a hard time believing that the technology is completely bogus, although I do question the implementation of it.
I suspect that most of the time, SDM failure won't be an issue, but it is a bit like playing Russian Roulette.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-05-2010 at 11:10 PM.
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #37

Wow, thanks guys! So much good info!

I don't have a ton of money, which makes the K-7 that much more appealing. And I don't take photos for money, just for me.

Another thing I'd like to get into more is "stobist" stuff. I know both the K-7 and d300s can trigger off-camera flashes with the built-in flash, but I'd probably get a hot-shoe remote setup anyway just to not have to worry about line-of-sight issues. (And they're cheap on ebay).

Greg
If you're interested in strobist, stuff, I would suggest checking out mpex and the cactus v4s. It is an extremely inexpensive way to get into off camera triggering. You can pick up full manual flashes off of ebay/craigslist/forums for very cheap and get going, and will work with any system. If you were more serious about flash photography, there are more developed professional triggering/control systems for other brandsin my opinion.

03-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I don't shoot raw and the K20D in my opinion is almost a stop better as far as Jpeg output goes. Most of my Street shooting is at ISO 1600
Having done maybe 13k shots in the K20D and over 7k in the K-7, I'm going to say that they are about equal in high ISO performance.

I would assume that the majority of K20D and K-7 users shoot in Raw. I can't speak for jpg performance because, quite frankly, I couldn't care less about the jpg performance - I haven't used it since my *ist DL. If you are going to make statements about the K20D doing better, you should make sure that you point out that you're using jpg, otherwise you may inadvertently be spreading FUD. If you're seeing a difference, it's much more likely that it is a difference in jpg processing or style of NR applied rather than the sensor itself.
03-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Javier has said that he uses only in camera jpegs and I'm sure there is a difference between the cameras in this. It is too bad really, because I think that some of the software available really significantly improves high iso images. I've particularly been impressed by the Topaz denoise software that some are using now -- amazing retention of detail and removal of noise.