Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #16

greg, i think best buy carries pentax gear so check it out if you can. i highly recommend holding different bodies and seeing which ones "feel" right and which ones don't.

also, when you move to dslr you are moving to a "system" which includes bodies, lenses, flashes, accessories, etc. all of that stuff adds up to serious $$$ which is why people who have invested a grand or more (or whatever) in non-body gear they're pretty much stuck with upgrading bodies of the same brand. at that point if you want to move to a different brand you can sell everything, lose a bunch of dough, buy all new stuff for a bunch more money, spend time learning things about your new gear, and so on.

so i recommend not thinking about some feature or even a set of features of some body because overall different brands are actually very similar (considering the same price range). instead think about the lens options out there, flashes, and so on. lenses being the biggest expense with the longest life should be the very first thing to consider. once you decide which system to go with then you can chose a body.

good luck and have fun with whatever brand you go with!

03-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gregx999, here's what I did.

I went throught the D300 or K-7 thing. Canon was never an option for me as I have (hopefully "had") eleven Nikkors and two manual focus bodies. One zoom, no AF. And one 5-year-old Lumix FZ15--my first AF, first digital.

If I got the D300, I could use all my Nikkors but one.

But I found this forum, read about most stuff I needed to know, and . . . bought a 35-year-old K-series lens. Before I got the K-7. That was my first step into the world of Pentax. Next came an M-series lens, then the K-7 with the kit lens, a DA 70, and then three more M-series lenses and an MX.

So . . . I've mostly got manual-focus lenses. And one new DA 70. I'm not really interested in any glass with SDM, and I'm not a zoom person.

But . . . for what I shoot, the K-7 and the lenses I've bought work well. The D300 would have worked, too, I'm sure. But it cost as much used as the K-7 with kit lens did new, and I guess I just decided that after 20 years of Nikon, it was time for a change.

A friend's buying my FA, motor drive, flash, and three lenses. And I've more stuff to sell. With the MX, I can use all my "new" manual Pentax lenses. Sure, there are a few holes in my lens lineup, including a macro and a 400mm, but it all feels good to me.

They're both great cameras, the K-7 and the D300. I don't think anyone here will tell you otherwise. But only you can decide which camera and system works best for you. I liked the price of the K-7 lots better than a used D300 or a new D300s, and I liked the size better, too (even though I've read over and over that the D300's ergonomics are great).

But I agree with joeyc, who says it depends on your intended use. That and how it all feels in your hands. The monetary difference can be sizable, but in the great scheme of things, it's not so much, I guess.

Fortunately, I had time to think about it while funds became available. And when they did, I went with the K-7.

Good luck with your choice . . . and let us know what you go with, okay?
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Another user with no SDM issues. I've got the 16-50 and 50-135mm. The existence of those lenses in weathersealed versions is a big plus for the Pentax system IMHO! Note also that if you are really concerned, you can just avoid the SDM lenses... or get an extended warranty.

High ISO - if both are set to do no NR, I don't think there's that much of a difference in performance. Sealing? IIRC the D300 is not sealed all that well compared to the K-7 - I haven't checked lately, so I'm not 100% confident on that, but I certainly recall that from looking it up a while ago. I've shot with my K20D and K-7 and sealed lenses in rain and snow plenty of times (including amusement park log flumes!) with no worries and no ill effects.

IMHO for every plus of the D300/D300s (better fast zoom lenses, upgrade path to D700, slightly better high ISO, faster AF), there is a negative (no in-body IS which is huge if you like prime lenses, much more expensive, not as many interesting prime lenses, no adaptability to use M42 or other lenses, much bigger and heavier, no Hyperprogram mode, no level, no autoleveling, etc...) Can the D300s trigger remote flashes wirelessly using onboard flash? Again, I'm not sure that it can but I could be mistaken - this is a very nice feature to have.

Oh, and if you want video, the D300s can only do 24 fps and 11khz sound instead of 30 fps and 44kHz sound.
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Igilligan

You may have been winking, but

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just buy the Nikon. Pentax obviously sucks.
The K7 cannot autofocus on a Moving object
The SDM lenses are GOING to fail
Getting caught out in the rain with a non WR body isn't a big deal, neither is the brickhouse chassis.
The SR in the camera never works, it's better to pay the extra money for the in lens SR.

I'm sure I missed a few so I'm sure if you go to a Nikon forum, you'll get the same advice.

So there you go.. 100% vote for the Nikon.

For someone trying to be funny, you pretty much nail it... Everything you said is so close to true it ain't funny. 8^)

I think you left off the joke about how the Pentax Pttl flash exposure consistancy pretty much sucks compared to the Nikon Flash. And that the predictive AF on the Nikon is pretty impressive compared to the 'Hit and Miss' (mostly miss) moving subject AF on the Pentax...

To the OP, get the Pentax if it is what you really want. Get the Nikon if you have the money and want the better camera/system.

03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Too many to answer individually, but...

I have a P&S now. I've used a friends Rebel XT (or maybe XTi, can't remember now) a few years ago, and I still have an old Minolta 35mm SLR that I used to use many years ago. No, I have no Nikon or Pentax lenses. Oh yeah, and the camera on my iPhone.

I mostly shoot travel photos (indoor and outdoor portraits - of people and of "things" such as statues, food, street scenes, etc. as well as some landscapes), nature, and fine-art style photos, but I've also tried some sports (Rugby) shooting (yeah, with the P&S - needless to say that didn't quite work out), and some "action" photos involving mountain bikes and motorcycles. \\\)
Both of these cameras would exceed your requirements for quite a time I would imagine. I would certainly consider a slightly older body and nicer lenses, if buying either of these cameras meant you had no money for good lenses. The glass will be the major factor in IQ (apart from you of course).

On the other hand, many people recommend using cheap lenses until you can decide what your requirements are glass-wise. Which is also a fair way to look at it. Good glass is big money, and often new-to-DSLR users won't need the f/2.8 or f/1.4 or HSM or SDM advantages until they learn for a bit.

The K-7 and D300S are some of best APS-C cameras available, so they might be quite a big step up. If you get a K20D or K10D, you can invest in good lenses and upgrade bodies later. Unless you really need the advantages of the K-7/D300S now and know how to make the most of them.
03-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Greg,

Pm sent with offer to use my K7 and limited lenses, come and try them out, the weather is good, spring is springing (beneath the snow) come north and get some hands on quality time.
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the 7D or D300s if you are shooting a lot of sports
Get the K7 and avoid lenses with SDM

03-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Heheh, I didn't notice that you were in Rochester... poor guy. Not many (if any) Pentax sellers here, if that influences you... it didn't bother me. Maybe with the success of the K-x, they'll pick up some more retailers, but they are doing well focusing more on online sales. I don't know if Rowe carries then now; they didn't a few years ago but did carry Samsung (basically the same thing but they don't have a K-7 clone.)

If you're interested in a K20D, I have one of those for sale, just have been trying to find the manual before putting it up here. Katz Eye screen and all.
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Let me tell you my story; short and sweet, i went into the store to add the K7 along with a second set of SDM zooms, i already did ALL the reading on the 300s and 7D along with the K7. In the store out of curiosity i asked to handle the 300s and 7D ...i did the quick math in my head and asked for the 7D 15-85 kit with grip along with the 2 SDM zoom ( i have a K200D) ...the irony is the 7D is sitting here gathering dust and me doing the math as to when i can go pick up the K7

Now that's cleared from what you say you shoot...your first reply was travel and portraiture, any of the cameras you mentioned and not will accomplish that. You should checkout Flickr under their camera finder and see samples of what is being made with each respective camera ...see for yourself what each can do and if it falls in your shooting style/mode, if it's Pentax then come back here...just come back because we have a non-Pentax sub forum also and join in the fun. You can also if you haven't yet check out the Post your Photo forum for Pentax made images.

All that said whatever you decide on just shoot a lot.

Last edited by Clicker; 03-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
03-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been through this Greg, and still am to some extent, especially when I read about the other systems AF ability. However in the end I upgraded from K20D to K-7.
For me it is about the size (smaller means I'm more likely to take it places) and weather seal (as I take pics in the rain), as well as a few other things the K-7 has.

I also take rugby pics. See my website below for examples of rugby and other sport with my K-7 (from 24 July 2009 on). Prior to that was K20D, and I managed with that to get some goodies. If you just photos of someone you know the K-7 will do it easy (depending on lens too of course). If you're doing it for money and want lots of pics, go Nikon, but be prepared to not take it places like restaurants, parties etc.
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote
jgredline - Thanks for the comparo. It's good to know my thoughts weren't way off. Do you still have the K-7? Do you just use primes now? It's interesting to hear your DID think the price diff was worth it. (Is the K-7 what you use for your street photos?)
I still do have the K-7 though it is my least used cam. I do not use it for street shooting because I can't deal with the noise. For my street shooting I use my 2 K20D's and use primes 95% of the time. I use my D700 for for school events and church stuff and when I need clean high ISO images. The D300s I bought to replace the K-7 hence which is why I have sold most almost all of my long pentax glass. The K-7 will be going up for sale soon, but my K20D's will go to the grave with me...

One of the best things about pentax that Nikon can't touch and I am not sure about Canon, is the small primes. That is what has endeared me so much to Pentax. The small lenses are brilliant. Perfect for street shooting. Optics are some of the best you will ever find. Infact, many folks try and adapt Pentax glass to canikons.
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

"I still do have the K-7 though it is my least used cam. I do not use it for street shooting because I can't deal with the noise."

I'm curious, what noise? The k7 shutter noise is far quieter than my K20 was. The ISO noise also is at least as good as the K20 and with the new firmware maybe better.
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Interesting - street shooting is the main reason I did get the K-7.

From the tests I've seen, in RAW the K-7 is very much up with the pack. K20D is perhaps slightly better at high ISO, but it didn't look like much of a difference.
03-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Gregg, sent you a pm on a k7 deal in chicago, it might sway you to the k7. I own one and am very happy with it.
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
"I still do have the K-7 though it is my least used cam. I do not use it for street shooting because I can't deal with the noise."

I'm curious, what noise? The k7 shutter noise is far quieter than my K20 was. The ISO noise also is at least as good as the K20 and with the new firmware maybe better.
The quiet shutter is very nice, I do wish the K20D was quieter. As far as ISO noise, I have not tested it yet with the new firmware. Is it better?