Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

AF adjustment for third party lens?

Hello,

Is the Pentax body which have AF adjustment feature can handle lenses made by other brands (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc) ?

Many thanks, RTogog

03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It can handle them, the "Apply All" setting applies to all lenses, regardless of brand or function. However, I'm not sure if the camera will remember specific adjustments made using the "Apply One" setting when it comes to 3rd party lenses.
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

Yes it does, I have a -7 correction on my Sigma 50mm
03-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krtwood Quote
Yes it does, I have a -7 correction on my Sigma 50mm
What is your the camera?
If we have more than one lens, Can it be adjusted for specific lens ?
I got FF problem w/ Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II on my Pentax K200D which doesn't have AF adjustment.

Thanks,
RTogog

03-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
What is your the camera?
If we have more than one lens, Can it be adjusted for specific lens ?
I got FF problem w/ Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II on my Pentax K200D which doesn't have AF adjustment.

Thanks,
RTogog
The K20D and K-7 (and K-x too I think) have auto-focus adjustment, and they remember specific adjustments for individual lenses.
03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, the K-x does not have AF adjustment in menu.

You could tool around in the service mode, but that would be another thread.

SB
03-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shoebox Quote
Unfortunately, the K-x does not have AF adjustment in menu.

You could tool around in the service mode, but that would be another thread.
The more I read about the K-x's limitations, the more glad I am that I got a K-7. I'm sure the K-x is an excellent camera for a whole lot of people, but I've grown really fond of all the control my K-7 gives me.

Of course, I wouldn't miss those features if I never had them in the first place
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #8

the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II and the Sigma 18-250 have no EXIF data for the lens and the body thinks they are the same lens. Is this normal for a K7?

03-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volvomanny Quote
the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II and the Sigma 18-250 have no EXIF data for the lens and the body thinks they are the same lens. Is this normal for a K7?
It might be. Technically, Sigma and Tamron (and many others) did not license the right to copy the K-mount. They reverse-engineered it and were able to figure out how to interface properly with the camera. But they're under no obligation to follow the same rules that Pentax does. They don't have to give each of their lenses a unique ID encoded in the electronics. So it's entirely possible that some lenses will all show up as the same, or that some won't be remembered at all. Such is the way of things when dealing with 3rd-party lenses.

(someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the licensing thing)
03-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #10

Reverse-engineering is a continuing problem for Sigma, according to their engineers. That's why they offer very cheap calibration service.

If you send in your camera along with your lenses, Sigma will calibrate the lenses to your KX, without mucking with the KX's internal adjustments. Not sure what Tamrom's policy is. You will get much better results than if you just send in the lenses and have them calibrated to a generic K-x. Do a search, I have a couple of threads on my experience with their service. Results were spectacular, not just fixing front-focus issues but speeding up focus lock dramatically.
03-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LouD Quote
Reverse-engineering is a continuing problem for Sigma, according to their engineers. That's why they offer very cheap calibration service.
My Sigma 70-200 HSM II & Pentax K200D had been caliberated by Sigma which is successful, but latter on it got other problems w/ their front glass element. It got some "haze & specks" and problem w/ its black matte finish.

Picasa Web Albums - RTOGOG - Sigma 70-200 ...

I decided to send back to Sigma because it is still under warranty.

They didn't return back my old Sigma but replaced w/ the new one. So, the problem of FF is back on my Pentax K200D body. I just thinking to get another Pentax body w AF adjustment because I have many third party lenses.

Last edited by RTogog; 03-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.