Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New K7 arrived

Hi all:

Work has kept me busy these last few days. I received a new K7 from Amazon on Tuesday, replacing the one I sent back.

I only have tested it briefly with two lenses, but it looks great so far. No lens calibration is necessary and the images are in focus. Everything seems to be working properly. I am gald I got a new body as I clearly received a defective one--or at least "out of sync" body.

I appreciate everyone's help and comments!!!

Gregg

03-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #17

I don't suppose there is a lens calibration charts that can be downloaded and printed?
03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Calibration

Hi:

There are charts out there. I know Kunik wanted me to use a chart and normally I would have. I only have 4 lenses, though, and all four could not reach focus even at the greatest micro-adjustment. At +10 the images were close--but no cigar. Plus, the batterty ran out awfully fast--too fast.

Having a k20d for more than a year and having to wait 7 weeks while my DA* 16-50 was repaired for the infamous autofocus issue I simply did not want to take a chance. And, as stated, use of the micro adjustment did not completely fix the problem. There may be some "hack" out there that might have addressed the issue, but for a brand new camera to require that is just not for me.

I have no doubt that other brands of DSLRs have quality control issues, so I do not think it is a K7 or Pentax thing.

I used the K7 today for a bit and it is very "snappy." It is noticebly quicker than the k20d. Image quality appears about the same with perhaps a bit of additional perceptible noise than the k20d at ISO 400 and at ISO 800 a bit more noticable--but the noise is more grainy and less color noise; so it has a film look.

If I was a low light/sports/wedding/event photographer the noise might be an issue, but I use the k20d and K7 mainly for fashion/glamour work in my home studiio or on location where I always shoot at ISO 100 and have my own lighting and off camera flashes--so I am really happy so far with what I see with the K7.

Gregg
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The power issue alone would be enough for me to return the camera. Even my aftermarket batteries are good for more than 700 shots. OF course, I'm not doing any video in there or doing a lot of in camera playing around with the photos. I have the screen basically shut off (press info button until it turns off).

I don't think I saw it in any of the posts but have you tried Manual focus? Can you get a Sharp shot at ALL?

WRT to the adjustments, someone mentioned calibrating for the entire body and Then for the lens. I don't think the 2 are additive. That is, each lens has it's own calibration regardless of the body (apply all) AF calibration. So, you cannot go more than +/- 10 either way.

There is a similar thread on dpreview ( Re: New K-7 backfocusing. Cannot fully correct). The original poster tried the double adjustment approach and it worked for him. So apparently it is cumulative. I wish I had known that before I spent $40 shipping my K-7 and lenses to Pentax.

Bob

03-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hopefully, this will be the only major problem I have with the K7. I really like using it so far. It is quicker and just has that extra snap.

Gregg
03-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
There is a similar thread on dpreview ( Re: New K-7 backfocusing. Cannot fully correct). The original poster tried the double adjustment approach and it worked for him. So apparently it is cumulative. I wish I had known that before I spent $40 shipping my K-7 and lenses to Pentax.

Bob
I can't remember where but I had read that they were not. If someone has discovered that they are, all the better I guess. It seems though that one would not want to to do that unless ALL lenses were missing by more than +/-10. Once you adjust the body AF, you've changed it for all of the lenses. Now you have to go back and calibrate for all the ones that were working before. The manual (p121) doesn't state one way or another.