Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #1

Difference in Tamron Zoom Lenses?

I am going to purchase a zoom lens this weekend and don't know the difference between these two lenses. Is one appreciably better than the other? I have a Pentax *ist DL and am currently using the lens that came with the kit (18-55).

I want to be able to get some wildlife pics and thought that one of these would be good for a first lens. I don't want to spend any more on a lens right now as I am just starting out.

Any thoughts?

Amazon.com: Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens with hood for Pentax DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Tamron Autofocus 75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD with Hood for Pentax SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Thanks,
Todd

(After looking at them again, one seems to lack Macro. Am I correct that the first lens with macro would be best for me now?)

07-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Given the price difference there is $15-20 (less than the difference at B&H - B&H wants $190 or so for the Di Macro version), definately go for the Di LD.

Less important than the macro capability is that the Di version has improved coatings on the optics - the idea behind the Di lenses (and Sigma's DG lenses), i.e. lenses that cover full frame but are "optimized for digital" is that the sensors of most digital camera sensors are far more reflective than film, and so tend to make the problems of cheaper lenses more obvious than film does. (A perfect example would be my first-generation Sigma 28-200 f/3.8-5.6 - it gave good results with film but HORRIBLE contrast when mounted on my K10D).

Thanks for the Amazon link - they are priced well below B&H (that's VERY rare) and it appears to be a direct offering from Amazon, not an affiliate vendor. (Many photo products on Amazon are from Adorama - not that Adorama is bad, but just like B&H, I get charged sales tax if I order from them since I am a New York State resident.) I had been considering the Ritz Camera Quantaray-rebadged version of the 70-300 Di LD because it was cheaper and no-tax, but I'd rather order the Tamron-branded version for the same price from Amazon themselves.
07-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have the 70-300 and it would be great for what you are wanting it for. I use it for action shots and for wildlife shots.
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I have the lens on order and should be receiving it soon.