Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 167
The K-x, afaik, comes with the DA L. Although the DA II is claimed to be better, I remember even compared with DA I there were reports of samples that defied this rule... I think overall DA II should be improved, and DA L and DA WR should be optically the same. Sensors doing the differentiation maybe?

Construction wise, the DA WR would be the best, DA L probably the not as great because of the mount.

04-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
The K-x, afaik, comes with the DA L. Although the DA II is claimed to be better, I remember even compared with DA I there were reports of samples that defied this rule... I think overall DA II should be improved, and DA L and DA WR should be optically the same. Sensors doing the differentiation maybe?

Construction wise, the DA WR would be the best, DA L probably the not as great because of the mount.
But the DA L and the DA II are the same lens, just in cheaper packaging, right?
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
But the DA L and the DA II are the same lens, just in cheaper packaging, right?
Cheaper packaging since it has a plastic mount, it doesn't come with a hood.
It also doesn't have measurement markings (infinity to 55mm) and also doesn't have the clutch focus..hmmm, did I miss anything else?
I would rather go for the DA 18-55 II as it is actually affordable and you don't have to scrounge for the hood through any other maker or seller as this is usually the case for most that have the DA L lens, they always end up buying or looking for the lens hood.
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Most definitely, the second version is a little bit sharper and has a little less distortion, but most importantly the vignetting is gone. That was the one thing that annoyed me most about that lens too.
Ditto. I was surprised how much improved the vignetting issue was from mk I to mk II.

Both copies I've had of the DA L have been noticeably better than the original DA 18-55.

04-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,683
The II, L, and WR versions are optically identical, as noted, but there may be some quality control differences. The II I used on my K20D was much sharper than the L that came with my K-x. It seems I got a less-than-perfect copy of the L. The IIs and WRs may be manufactured with tigher tolerances than the cheaper-built L. If you get a good one, though (and most I've heard of are), it's a darn good lens for the price.
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The II, L, and WR versions are optically identical, as noted, but there may be some quality control differences. The II I used on my K20D was much sharper than the L that came with my K-x. It seems I got a less-than-perfect copy of the L. The IIs and WRs may be manufactured with tigher tolerances than the cheaper-built L. If you get a good one, though (and most I've heard of are), it's a darn good lens for the price.
That's an interesting point. I wonder if Pentax can "bin" lenses (or lens elements), the way that Intel and AMD bin CPU's.
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The II, L, and WR versions are optically identical, as noted, but there may be some quality control differences. The II I used on my K20D was much sharper than the L that came with my K-x. It seems I got a less-than-perfect copy of the L. The IIs and WRs may be manufactured with tigher tolerances than the cheaper-built L. If you get a good one, though (and most I've heard of are), it's a darn good lens for the price.
I think that the 55-300mm DA L have more success on this than the 18-55mm DA L.
These lenses are actually a good deal the the more expensive DA 55-300mm.
04-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: south africa, johannesburg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 228
Also better contrast - I've used both lenses and can confirm this.

The new kit lens (V2) is an improvement on V1 and is about the best kit lens of the three top brands of DSLR (excludes Sony and Olympus as these are not the topmost brands :-))

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, camera, dslr, generation, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Comparison of 1st & 2nd Curtain Sync Flash dosdan Accessory and Memory Articles 2 07-25-2011 12:27 PM
Nature Pentax takes 1st & 2nd place in 2 classes at VLF competition!!! (4 images total) Marc Langille Post Your Photos! 55 10-28-2009 11:17 AM
Photo of the Week - 1st Generation Pentaxian Adam Post Your Photos! 4 08-25-2009 06:45 AM
2nd Generation Pentax User cdeakin Welcomes and Introductions 6 08-03-2008 07:18 AM
1st and 2nd POTD, last month jsundin Post Your Photos! 6 04-09-2007 07:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top