Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #16

The K-x, afaik, comes with the DA L. Although the DA II is claimed to be better, I remember even compared with DA I there were reports of samples that defied this rule... I think overall DA II should be improved, and DA L and DA WR should be optically the same. Sensors doing the differentiation maybe?

Construction wise, the DA WR would be the best, DA L probably the not as great because of the mount.

04-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
The K-x, afaik, comes with the DA L. Although the DA II is claimed to be better, I remember even compared with DA I there were reports of samples that defied this rule... I think overall DA II should be improved, and DA L and DA WR should be optically the same. Sensors doing the differentiation maybe?

Construction wise, the DA WR would be the best, DA L probably the not as great because of the mount.
But the DA L and the DA II are the same lens, just in cheaper packaging, right?
04-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
But the DA L and the DA II are the same lens, just in cheaper packaging, right?
Cheaper packaging since it has a plastic mount, it doesn't come with a hood.
It also doesn't have measurement markings (infinity to 55mm) and also doesn't have the clutch focus..hmmm, did I miss anything else?
I would rather go for the DA 18-55 II as it is actually affordable and you don't have to scrounge for the hood through any other maker or seller as this is usually the case for most that have the DA L lens, they always end up buying or looking for the lens hood.
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Most definitely, the second version is a little bit sharper and has a little less distortion, but most importantly the vignetting is gone. That was the one thing that annoyed me most about that lens too.
Ditto. I was surprised how much improved the vignetting issue was from mk I to mk II.

Both copies I've had of the DA L have been noticeably better than the original DA 18-55.

04-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The II, L, and WR versions are optically identical, as noted, but there may be some quality control differences. The II I used on my K20D was much sharper than the L that came with my K-x. It seems I got a less-than-perfect copy of the L. The IIs and WRs may be manufactured with tigher tolerances than the cheaper-built L. If you get a good one, though (and most I've heard of are), it's a darn good lens for the price.
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The II, L, and WR versions are optically identical, as noted, but there may be some quality control differences. The II I used on my K20D was much sharper than the L that came with my K-x. It seems I got a less-than-perfect copy of the L. The IIs and WRs may be manufactured with tigher tolerances than the cheaper-built L. If you get a good one, though (and most I've heard of are), it's a darn good lens for the price.
That's an interesting point. I wonder if Pentax can "bin" lenses (or lens elements), the way that Intel and AMD bin CPU's.
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I think that the 55-300mm DA L have more success on this than the 18-55mm DA L.
These lenses are actually a good deal the the more expensive DA 55-300mm.
04-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Also better contrast - I've used both lenses and can confirm this.

The new kit lens (V2) is an improvement on V1 and is about the best kit lens of the three top brands of DSLR (excludes Sony and Olympus as these are not the topmost brands :-))