Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awaiting Delivery

Hi all
I just purchased a K-X by way of E-bay after a long and thoughful process of what DSLR Camera I wanted to buy. I haven't received delivery yet, but I know I made the right choice. It comes with the 55-85 lens and the 55-300 lens.
I have a Konica Minolta Z-6 that has been my faithful companion for the last 5 years. I know one of the influences it had on the choice I made was all the filters etc will be able to fit the "new" camera.
I look forward to joining the "family".
Ken aka Islandmahn..

03-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Congrats on your new camera! I really like the K-x so far and I really like the 17-70mm F4 SDM. My wife doesn't like the lens as much because she feels its too large for the camera, so I just bought her an 18-55mm from someone on the forums.

Welcome!

Mike
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by islandmahn Quote
Hi all
I just purchased a K-X by way of E-bay after a long and thoughful process of what DSLR Camera I wanted to buy. I haven't received delivery yet, but I know I made the right choice. It comes with the 55-85 lens and the 55-300 lens.

I look forward to joining the "family".
Ken aka Islandmahn..
Welcome to the forum Ken aka Islandmahn. If you don't know it already, this forum will be the greatest source of information and solutions you can find. I look forward to seeing some of your first shots posted.

If you actually get delivery of the 55-85mm lens please remember take care of it as it's one of a kind.
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hate to be a pessimist but make sure the ebay seller is an authorized Pentax seller or at least they bought it from an authorized seller. Warranty is more important than you think.

I did not know there was a 55-85mm lens; did you mean 18-55mm kit lens? I would sell the 55-300mm for ~$280 on the marketplace and switch lenses.

03-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
... I would sell the 55-300mm for ~$280 on the marketplace and switch lenses.
Why? The 55-300 DAL is a great lens.
03-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Because I'm waiting for him to sell it to me on the marketplace.

All kidding aside, it is a great lens. But because of its monetary worth, one could use it to fund other lenses that may be more fitting to the photographer's style. Just an idea.
03-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@hangu

All fair enough. But by the same token I'd also suggest the OP hold onto the lens until he figures out what style of photography he is into. It's a handy lens, covering a useful range, and the image quality is creditable. And a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Over the last few months I've noticed a few K-x users round here who got the K-x/DAL 300 kit expecting the 300mm zoom to be a piece of kit lens crap they'd need to sell instantly, but have been surprised how good it is and kept it.

I don't have the lens BTW. That kit wasn't available where I am. I wish it was.
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
I Stand corrected and thanks

Hi and thanks for the responses.
And I stand corrected. In my excitement I misquoted and it is the kit 18-55 mm lens. I usually take a lot of "nature" photography because of the beauty of the West Coast of Canada etc. So, I thought getting something that would have the same range as my Konica Minolta Z6 in zoom capabilities. So, I was shopping for the 55-300 lens. I looked at the reviews and this decision was long in the making over all the other DSLRs out there.
5 more sleeps :ugh: and I get delivery...
Ken.

03-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just like Christmas

Well, Saturday was the big day. Got the new K-x kit with lenses. Got the lens attached and batteries and SM card installed and started taking pictures.
First thing I noticed was the feel the familiar feel of my Pentax 35mm I had back in the '70's. After taking several outdoor shots, I quickly downloaded them to my PC. I was astounded by the picture quality difference from my previous digital camera.
This is going to be the start of a beautiful and devoted relationship here. When I get some pictures worth posting, I will do so.
I have been looking at those already posted and I only hope that some one will praise my contributions like those before me.

Ken