Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Forthcoming review of D-BG2 knock off

Hey guys, last night I bought this off eBay:

Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D + 1 D-Li50 Batttery - eBay (item 260521352202 end time Mar-10-10 01:42:17 PST)

There have been several discussions recently about knock-off grips, both the BG2 and BG4... I've read all of them, I've heard the pros, cons, concerns... and decided to go for it.

I picked that one because some of the others were lacking features... some only had one dial (like the one from dealextreme), others didn't have body pins (not the contacts, but the pins that keep the thing from twisting). This one has both and comes with a battery.

Anyway, they say shipping can take up to 15 business days (no surprise there), but when it comes in, I'll post my thoughts/opinions.

03-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Judging on the pictures, it looks very good, and as you mentioned, metal locking pins.

The only thing i'm not sure of, is the battery that is included. I'm unable to see wich brand it is. That could be my only thing of concern

And the same thing as the BG4 grip, it is a lot cheaper as the genuine one. These grips aren't nothing more than a box with switches, so impossible that anything could go wrong with you're camera. And even if all the wires in the grip would get shortcircuit, the only thing that will happen is that you're camera thinks you're an idiot because you are pressing all the buttons at the same time

And even with loose contacts, nothing can go wrong as some people mentioned. You're camera will stabilize the power coming from you're grip on the same way as it stabilize the power of the accu in you're cam itself. The voltage of an accu or battery changes with the load left in it. Electronics can't handle that very well, that's why there always is a stabilizer in battery powered equipment.
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 similar ones on order for my K7 & My K20D to test.
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Same one

I have the same one and have found it very good, especially considering the price.

My only complaint is the latch that keeps the battery door closed.

03-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #5

great! keep us updated, lavascript! :]
03-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just got one for my K10D. Mine is made by Travor. Received it yesterday and only used it once. My first impression is it's OK for the price. It's definitely not Pentax quality but for $40 I'm not complaining, just hope that it won't leave me after couple months...
03-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is someone in the forum that had this aftermarket grip for a while and have seen some used?
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

At that price, it's certainly worth the risk. And with a 30 day money back, all you'd be out is the return shipping to China!

Anyway, I may get one as well.

03-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just FYI, still patiently awaiting my grip. =)
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My son bought me one of those Chinese D-BG2 replacement grips off of eBay, for Christmas. I'm not sure which brand it is, since I don't have it with me, right now. The name Travor sounds familiar, so that might be it.

I don't have a genuine grip to compare it to, but the fit and finish seem to be acceptable. It has all the same control wheels and buttons as the genuine Pentax grip and they all seem to work well. Physically, it mates to my K10D perfectly.

Mine came without a battery, but I have the original Pentax battery and a cheap eBay knock-off battery. Both fit in the grip just fine. The battery tray locks in place securely and has storage for a spare SD card and the Pentax IR remote. Unfortunately, I have an aftermarket remote that is much bigger than the Pentax remote, so I can't say how well that fits.

In use, the grip seems to work perfectly. The two e-dials work exactly the same way that the two on the camera work. The buttons all function perfectly, as well. With the battery, the K10D becomes a little heavy, but I don't mind. For vertical shooting, its great to have the shutter release on the corner and the extra e-dials.

If anyone is looking to buy one of these, just a note of caution. There are a few sellers out there with grips that lack the e-dials and/or the buttons. They function ONLY as a grip and extra battery holder. For just a couple bucks more, you can get one with all the controls.

I'm not an engineer, but it is my understanding that making molds for injection-molded plastic parts is pretty expensive. Given that, and the fact that there probably is not an enormous market for K10D/K20D-specific battery grips, I wonder if at least some of these aren't made by a subcontractor who makes the genuine grip for Pentax, or at least provides the molded parts.

In short, I'm very happy with my Chinese grip.
03-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I also got a Trevor grip, but after a week I've sent it back because of extremely hard shutter release button. Also, battery door kept opening by itself. It was not usable at all. So, I've sent it back at the end of December and now I'm waiting, and waiting...
I'll let you know how the replacement looks if it get to me eventually.
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How can you tell if it is a "Travor" grip?
03-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Inactive Account

It was on the manual and on the box.
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it today! Indeed, there is a noticeable cheapness to the plastic, as though the camera were made out of LEGO and the grip is Mega Blok. But for the price, I can live with it. Most of the controls function as expected, but the shutter button has a different feel to it. It's hard to describe. Actually, I guess the FEEL of the button is the same, but the point at which it registers a half-press is much further in. There is VERY little difference between a half-press and a full press. Also, I initially had issues with the preview "button" not working right, but it seems okay now, so I dunno. Even if that didn't work, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

At first, I thought it was DOA, but then I noticed the other power button! Silly me. And now I remember reading about that.

Pics to come...

OH! And yes, it is the Travor grip, even though the eBay pics don't show it.
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'll add by two cents about the shutter release. I find it takes a longer throw and more weight to push. Sort of like a 2 vs 5 pound pull.

Not at all bad.

Though I think there is a power leak in mine. I never used to turn my camera off, and until I got the grip it would never drain a batter, but now if the grip is on it will drain the battery until it is completely flat.

I now have to remember to power off the camera. Not that that is a huge hardship.