Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #16

Original Poster
What a great forum!!!!

Canada Rockies- did you find that when you installed the LL-60 screen you mentioned, there was a trade-off? You say the problems you had disappeared when you installed that screen- so you are saying you got accurate depth of field preview and metering too? And still a light enough viewfinder with slower lenses? Or is this just not a possible/realistic compromise?

As you've probably all guessed I'm a newcomer to dslr and I've been a bit perplexed by a few issues I've had, when I've spent the extra money to step up from compact P&S and I was expecting to get back the control/functions and quality I had when I was using a 35mm SLR SP1000 a few years ago. I should have known things were not going to be so simple.

This thread and the info and links you've all provided have been an invaluable education, so thanks Frank, Marc and "Canadian" for pointing me in the right direction.

03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, this forum is indeed a treasure trove. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been a part of it, and most of the members are very friendly and helpful. Marc and Ash come to mind immediately, those guys are oddly level-headed in a sea of whiners.

I've also lost any semblance of a social life, though Not a good thing...
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I've also lost any semblance of a social life, though Not a good thing...
yes, you do seem to be on here quite a lot.... ;-)
03-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smokeydan Quote
yes, you do seem to be on here quite a lot.... ;-)
'sokay, Spring is almost upon us, and my long-distance mountain bike wanderings will begin again very soon. This has been the best early-March weather I've ever experienced. I think I can safely remove the studded tires from my bike. When that happens, I won't be here nearly as much!

Oh no! What will people do without my valuable insight?!?

03-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smokeydan Quote
What a great forum!!!!

Canada Rockies- did you find that when you installed the LL-60 screen you mentioned, there was a trade-off? You say the problems you had disappeared when you installed that screen- so you are saying you got accurate depth of field preview and metering too? And still a light enough viewfinder with slower lenses? Or is this just not a possible/realistic compromise?

As you've probably all guessed I'm a newcomer to dslr and I've been a bit perplexed by a few issues I've had, when I've spent the extra money to step up from compact P&S and I was expecting to get back the control/functions and quality I had when I was using a 35mm SLR SP1000 a few years ago. I should have known things were not going to be so simple.

This thread and the info and links you've all provided have been an invaluable education, so thanks Frank, Marc and "Canadian" for pointing me in the right direction.
I have not noticed a trade off with the changed screen. It might be noticeable if you have a penta-mirror viewfinder, but with the pentaprism finder of my K10, I don't notice the loss of light. I did not mention that the metering with my DA lenses did not change noticeably. I have yet to find a reason that the screen should be switched out.

As a note - I used nothing but a plain matte screen in my original (and I mean original!) Pentax that I used from 1961 to 1976. I intensely dislike all the junk in the middle of the finder with focusing aids. With practice, you can focus just as accurately without the aids, and still be able to use your spot meter.

Every one of the three bodies I have has a grid screen of one type or another. I don't use it for "rule of thirds", but it sure is handy to keep trees and buildings standing up straight, the way they should.