Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

K-7, back from repair but now video is broken.

Got my k-7 back from CR kennedy here in Australia today. Was a failed firmware update that bricked it that was the reason for repair, they fixed that and it now works and is running 1.03 which is great and all but now video is stuffed.

As seen in this sample vid: ok youtube is in read only mode at the moment so instead for now a screenshot of the lines will have to do until i get back from work and youtube is back to normal. Screenshot(800kb) Jpeg compression etc has made the lines look a bit softer then they are etc.. but you get the idea.

There are very distinct hot vertical red/bright lines all the way along the image and ontop of that the left 1/3 of the image has its own unique brightness to it. Also seems to be quite a few dead/stuck pixels. Is the same for liveview. But taking pictures is perfect.. its wierd.

ADDED YOUTUBE VID:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdd0o42dHNg

Do you think i should send her straight back for repair(postage + tracking + 1200 insurance comes in at like $40 so its a bit annoying to do it twice) or do you think its some settings or maybe flashing back to a older firmware and up again may fix it? Im a bit worried about firmware updates seeing my last one froze.

Service report says:

Repairs required: Failed firmware update. Froze during phase 1.
Service report: DISMANTLED BODY S/F NEW MAIN P.C.B ASSEMBLY CLEANED REASSEMBLED & CHECKED.

I have tried googling a bit and it would seem that this is how the sensor works in video and live view modes, its splits the sensor into thin lines like this and reads them line by line but i read one thing saying the lines were horizontal and another seemed to suggest that they are vertical which would correlate with my issue although i dont know why its making the borders of them red. The lines are mainly visible in low light while in daylight they are still there they are sort of drowned out and you cant see them unless you look closely.

Last edited by gmturner; 03-09-2010 at 05:13 AM.
03-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #2

Original Poster
updated main post with video sample with the camera. Weird that nobody has even commented on it..
03-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically, send the company a message and point them to the video. It's suposedly their fault so they should do something before you tamper with it.
03-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
yeh i think i will send them a email. Just realised when i imported some images onto the computer the lines actually are on the images, just less prevalent. So would seem the PCB they put in is rooted.

pic of edge of my computer screen @ 100%: http://www.countryfurniture.net.au/_IGP0058.jpg

Makes you wonder how good their "testing" is.

03-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gmturner Quote
Makes you wonder how good their "testing" is.
Their testing is probably fine.
However in a case like yours (and for that mater most jobs) they just get the known issues fixed, then send it back to you. If you would have asked them to check the camera out afterwords they may have taken the extra 3 minutes out.

It's really no different than anything else. Most companies just don't have the time to test everything, before sending the item back to the owner.
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the SAME EXACT problem with my repaired K-7; the sensor pattern even looks the same! I emailed Pentax customer service and gave a huge rant over my two bad repair experiences (first one was with a faulty repair job on a DA* lens). A customer service rep offered to replace my unit after I sent the faulty unit directly to him.

- Jason