Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How Pentax can quickly re-rule the photo world

OK, so a sensationalist title, and some from the hip comments, but all in the aid of helpful discussion!

When I lost my K-x/FA 31 a friend remarked that at least now I could buy a "proper brand". It's a pity that Pentax have slipped so far... anyway...

Five camera line-up:

1. 645D. Kick Canon and Nikon where it hurts with a system they have no legacy in. The pro trickle-down effect will work wonders.

2. MZ-S size/design full frame (MZ-D size when used with optional grip). What a great looking and highly ergonomic camera. Imagine that with a 3.5" OLED on the back (and a little OLED in the right dial, where the LCD is). This with the FA limiteds, and I'm a happy chappy.

3. K-8 (ISO blah, blah).

4. K-5 (K-x type, with top LCD and weatherproofing).

5. K-3 (K-x type, low-margin teaser to Pentax ownership).

Better call my broker and get some Hoya stock.

03-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Why stop at 645 and 35/FF? From: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/off-brand-camera-discussion-canon-nikon-e...tml#post945334

How about a Pentax-Zeiss K-Ikonta-D 6x9 folder with interchangeable front lens elements? The low-noise sensor WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY would be over 150 mpx. [Math: 6x9 frame is 84x56 mm = 47.04 cm2; D-x pixel density is 3.3 mpx/cm2; 47.04*3.3 = 155.23 mpx] Is that enough resolution? Given Moore's Law, in 18 months, it'll be 300 mpx. 18 months later, 600 mpx. In 4-5 years, we're at 1gpx (gigapixels). Is THAT enough resolution?

Small simple front-element primes, bayonet-mounted on solenoid-driven (no motors) maneuverable board with autofocus, macro extension, and all the movements: tilt, shift, swing, rise-fall, all joystick- or trackball-controlled. Or maybe a slower zoom that inserts THRU the board; at 100k ISO, slow lenses won't matter so much. Silicone-teflon (or whatever) untearable bellows, flash shoe, EV (viewfinder and/or screen) -- or maybe the live view just Bluetooths to your VR goggles. Add a small wireless remote, and you're invisibly tethered for tripod use.

Eat THAT, Hassy!! Sayonara, Canikony!
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Eat THAT, Hassy!! Sayonara, Canikony!
pff, clearly you don't dream big enough. 1 gpixels? That's not nearly enough to capture my sign that says "Pentax 4-EVA!" from outer space.
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

For me you have to have the ability of turning off the DFS and be able to take pictures through your computer. Both for astronomy.

I am seriously considering a Canon T2i just for this and dumping all my current Pentax stuff. Pentax just does not have it anymore. Another thing to think about is product quality. You hear of people praising the K7 and KX but I also see a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad problems with both of them. Not just one type of problems but numerous types. This is why I have stayed away from both.

William

03-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
pff, clearly you don't dream big enough. 1 gpixels? That's not nearly enough to capture my sign that says "Pentax 4-EVA!" from outer space.
So buy a longer lens. Or build a large orbiting pinhole camera: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/932375-post8.html
Blowing a multi-mile-diameter metal bubble in zero-gravity wouldn't be a major engineering problem, but as a globe, the optical distortion would be severe. Bother. We need a big cylinder.

I've read of proposals to plant nukes inside metallic asteroids to blow out their interiors, to make multi-generation starships. So let's fabricate a BIG pinhole cam that way, like an oatmeal box 50 miles in diameter and 100 miles long, with a pinhole in one side and a 50x100 mile sheet of photosensitized fabric opposite it. Aim at someplace interesting, stabilize it with thrusters, open the pinhole, and wait awhile. Of course, that only makes the negative. But any problems can be fixed in PP, eh?
Work progresses on spray-on semiconductors, so by the time we can make that big can in the sky, we'll know how to turn its interior into a large IC array. Spray the entire interior; use the back 1/3 as a sensor, the front 2/3 for memory. (SDHC cards won't suffice.)
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

MZ-S wasn't a big hit back then, and won't be too in digital form. The problem is that the public perception of Pentax is not +ve, and it will take more than competence products to change that, much more. Minolta had many awesome products back in the film days, but they could not make a dent.
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote

I am seriously considering a Canon T2i just for this and dumping all my current Pentax stuff. Pentax just does not have it anymore. Another thing to think about is product quality. You hear of people praising the K7 and KX but I also see a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad problems with both of them. Not just one type of problems but numerous types. This is why I have stayed away from both.

William

Could you elaborate a little more?

I'm not saying your wrong in your decision, but it'd be nice to know in a bit more detail the quality flaws you see.
Also what about the "Pentax doesn't have it anymore" comment.
"It" meaning...?

I mean to purchase a K-7 in the future, so it'd be nice to know all the good and bad points that users find.
Personally, I think it's a good piece of kit.

03-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm not saying your wrong in your decision, but it'd be nice to know in a bit more detail the quality flaws you see.
"It" meaning...?
I think he was pretty specific when he mentioned the DFS issue and the ability to take pictures from the computer. I'm not sure if DFS can be disabled on Canon cameras either, but it's a really annoying "feature" and it's made me give up on astrophotography for now.

As far being able to take pictures from the computer, that's something we used to be able to do, but it was stripped out after the K20D. Removing features like this is discouraging, especially since the software and architecture was already in place.

For whatever else the poster is referring to, I have no clue. Doesn't seem to me like the K-7/K-x have had any more problems than the K20D, K10D or any other cameras from the past. Even Canon and Nikon have their fair share of duds and technical problems.
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Did Pentax ever rule the photo world?
I don't think even in the film days they did :-P
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Did Pentax ever rule the photo world?
I don't think even in the film days they did :-P
ouch... perhaps a history lesson is in order.

Pentax ruled the roost back when Canon and Nikon were just wannabes.
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Todays Nikon's and Canon's are all copies of the Asahi Pentax, but I'm not sure you could say Pentax "ruled" the photo world. They did have their own niche. Back in the day (after the AP, S and Ks dominated the publishing scene) you might choose a Canon/Nikon for sports photography or photojournalism. You might decide to go with a Pentax 645 or 67 for professional studio or outdoor landscape publishing. Pentax was different from Canon/Nikon...better at some things and not at others.....
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Todays Nikon's and Canon's are all copies of the Asahi Pentax, but I'm not sure you could say Pentax "ruled" the photo world. They did have their own niche. Back in the day (after the AP, S and Ks dominated the publishing scene) you might choose a Canon/Nikon for sports photography or photojournalism. You might decide to go with a Pentax 645 or 67 for professional studio or outdoor landscape publishing. Pentax was different from Canon/Nikon...better at some things and not at others.....
I'm talking 60's and 70's here.

Relevant quote from Wikipedia:

"In 1966 Asahi Optical had produced one million SLR cameras since the first Asahiflex of 1952. It took them only another three years, until 1969, to reach two million. This period was a time of complete pre-eminence for Asahi Optical. During the Spotmatic era Asahi were manufacturing more SLRs per month than all the other camera manufacturers combined."
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not know that...quite cool....
03-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I did not know that...quite cool....
It can be pretty funny when someone expresses interest in my camera. I always get one of 2 reactions when they find out it's a Pentax:

"OMG! They still exist?!? Those were the BEST cameras way back when! That's so awesome!"

or

"Pentak? WTF is that? Some chinese crap? Why didn't you just buy a Canon?"
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Could you elaborate a little more?
"It" meaning...?
I mean to purchase a K-7 in the future, so it'd be nice to know all the good and bad points that users find.
Personally, I think it's a good piece of kit.

Quality and Quality control is the biggest "it" issue. Just look at the threads about problems relating to the KX and K7. Not only on this forum but others. A lot of people have a lot of problems with these two cameras. Too many to ignore. More so than current Canon DSLR's in the same price/features bracket.

Just check all the threads pertaining to problems with the K7, in my opinion there are way too many problems to justify a purchase over 1200.00 for me that's all. Not too mention the two features I need. The DFS and computer control. Does it have live preview or video mode, I forgot? That is also some features I need. A number here like and love the K7 but I am not one of them.

I am not a total Pentax basher. I have two Super Programs I use all the time. I love them. I also have two very old Praktica's. I would like to purchase a new Pentax DSLR but won't with the two selections right now. They have to get their quality control in hand and offer better features.

William