Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Upgrade" from K10D to K-x?

So I have a K10D that's served me well. Honestly, I'm not really in the market for a new camera, so I try to stay away from the reviews of the newer models, lest I lust after something I cannot afford.

That being said, I'm gathering from other posts that the K-x is a great high-ISO shooter. I use ISO1600 quite a bit on my K10D, and I can live with the noise level. But it'd be great if it wood be even lower, or if I could use my slower lenses in low light.

So ISO 12800, 12.1MP, HD video... I really like having two control dials, but I think I could live without it. What else would I be missing from the K10?

03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather sealing, size and feel (could be good or bad), no remote port, less external controls means more menu diving, no AF point indicators in viewfinder, no Digital Preview switch, and probably some other things which may or may not be important to you.
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No AF point indicators?? Yuck. No remote port? I honestly only pull out my remote every couple of months, but I've been thinking about an intervalometer. And no digital preview??

Hrm...
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As nice as that sensor is, I would only get the K-x for myself as a second body. There's just no way it could replace my K10D. Ideally, I'd love it if they put that sensor in this body without the video.

03-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There *is* digital preview - just no dedicated switch for it (it's done via a button on the back).
03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
No AF point indicators?? Yuck. No remote port? I honestly only pull out my remote every couple of months, but I've been thinking about an intervalometer. And no digital preview??

Hrm...
I went from the K10D to the K-x during Christmas holidays. The lack of AF indicators in the viewfinder has not bothered me any at all, you see the brackets in the viewfinder so it's really easy to know where the indicators are. And I've photographed, landscape, people, sports and animals with the K-x since I got it.

There is no dedicated digital preview like on the K10D, but you can set the green button do bet he digital preview button, and I have, and for me, having a button that does it rather than flip the power switch is better.

The lack of a port for a wire release is stupid though, I wonder how much cheaper the camera is due to that. But there is a way around. Either a remote control, or this kind of a wire release for time lapse: https://www.pclix.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Products with this cable: https://www.pclix.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=13

The menus are set up well IMO, and the "menu diving" isn't slow. I do miss two wheels, but it works having one, and it was worth it to me to get the very good ISO performance of the K-x, speed and HD video recording. The size is also more OK than I feared it would be, I did use a battery grip for the K10D.

It a well worth upgrade IMO, I don't regret it for a second, except that I'd like to still own my K10D as a back up camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There *is* digital preview - just no dedicated switch for it (it's done via a button on the back).
Which button on the back are you talking about? I use the green button for it, and it's on top.
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

I'm one of those who also "upgraded", and I don't regret it either.
It's tiny (which is a good thing for me), hi-iso is real nice (much less frustrating than K10D), and I have accepted and got used to the lack of some things like front e-dial and AF points in vf (easy for me since I like HyperAv mode and I use mostly rear wheel; I like manual focus, too, and use a K3 mf screen with thirds grids).

Some things I don't like, though, and that make me look at current prices of K-7, are:
-nimh batteries; with them, camera doesn't work as "crisp" as with lithiums
-af under warm light
-shutter sound (kinda loud)
03-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, if you're willing to invest in a more pro-line body, the K-7+grip just cannot be beat. You use ISO 1600 often? No problem - unless you're into ISO 3200-6400 range often, I wouldn't see the K-x offering you any significant advantages.

03-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #9

I moved from the K10D to the Kx and never looked back. Much faster AF, lighter, better IQ, more FPS with larger buffer and far superior high ISO. If you shoot ISO 1600 at lot, you will love the Kx.
03-10-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Thanks for the correction.
03-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just picked up a K-X from the PentaxForum's marketplace at a great price. The price was right and since I figured that it would be hard to find a K-x to try out I'd just buy this one, check it out and then decide whether to keep it or my K20D.

I must say that it is tiny but is very well designed. I am impressed with the high iso shooting to say the least. It blows the K20D away IMHO. 3200 looks pretty good to me, especially after a bit of PP. And 6400 isn't that bad for most stuff after some pp. The menus make most changes easy and I don't think the lack of wheel or top LCD would be as bad as first thought. Oddly enough the lack of a grip is the one that makes me hesitate the most. I shoot probably 75% vertical and have fallen in love with my gripl. I'm planning on trying the K-X out this weekend and then making a decision on which one to keep.

But I'm leaning toward keeping the K-X. I just think the IQ is better for most situations.
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! Great replies, guys, thanks!

I use AF point select a lot... how would I know which one I was selecting?

And to you folks who don't miss the second dial as much as you thought... any Strobists? I do a fair amount of off-camera manual flash stuff and it's easy to adjust stutter speed, aperture, and ISO quickly. How is it on the K-x? What do you have to press while turning the dial?
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I can certainly understand wanting a Kx for low light shooting. It does have some drawbacks, already mentioned. For myself, I would not replace my K10D with the Kx but if I had some extra cash, I would have no problem buying it as a second body.
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I use AF point select a lot... how would I know which one I was selecting?
Kind of like how K-7 used to be before the first firmware update: you have to press ok first, then use dpad to change AF point. I don't think there's an option of just using dpad since directional buttons are assigned to what has been in the Fn menu (i.e. flash, WB, ISO, and drive)

QuoteQuote:
How is it on the K-x? What do you have to press while turning the dial?
No strobist, but in manual mode, rear wheel is on shutter speed by default. If you hold the AV button, and then rotate the wheel (operation does not feel awkward), it changes aperture. You press right dpad once to open ISO menu, then you can use either rear wheel or left/right to adjust the value (you don't have to look at LCD since ISO changes are also shown in viewfinder)
03-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I can certainly understand wanting a Kx for low light shooting. It does have some drawbacks, already mentioned. For myself, I would not replace my K10D with the Kx but if I had some extra cash, I would have no problem buying it as a second body.
That is what many of us have done. I still use the K20d and the K10d, but the K20d has made me use the K10d much less.

I really enjoy the K-x and I am very glad I bought it, but I do miss the focus indicator and the front exposure dial. Also, I use my cameras on a tripod often enough that I would not want to entirely give up the ability to use a wired remote. Because I use the K20d on the tripod, I am embarassed to say I had never even noticed that the K-x did not have a remote port.