Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #1

Firmware updates

Hi
I am a new user and proud owner of a K10D. The firmware version that I ahve is er 1.0.
When I go on the Pentax site, the only "live" firmware upgrade is the latest ver 1.30.
I need the earlier upgrades but have been unable to find them.
Does anyone know a resource for these.
Sorry to be a pain but I am becoming frustrated have been trawling the net for 2 hours.

07-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Forum Member

I was a little confused by the instructions on the firmware website when I first read it, too. You don't need the earlier versions. version 1.3 will give you all of the previous changes too. It is a complete package of the camera's firmware.
07-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Dave will go and do the deed now.
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi. If ever you have troubles do what i do .I take mine into the shop where i bought camera and they do updates for me. Easy

07-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Had the same experience - the website pretty much straight out tells you that you need to install all the firmware upgrades separately. I sent an email to Pentax saying that it was hardly helpful to tell me that without also putting the earlier upgrades onto the website!

They wrote back and said each upgrade includes all prreviously released upgrades.

(I hope they're right - but in any event I did manage to find the other two versions and I did install those sequentially. That said, I haven't installed v1.3 yet. Might do that now).
07-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
(I hope they're right - but in any event I did manage to find the other two versions and I did install those sequentially. That said, I haven't installed v1.3 yet. Might do that now).
I had no problems going from v1.0 to 1.2. I sent an email as well with the same question. Hopefully they will change the wording in their instructions to avoid the confusion.
07-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #7

I haven't installed any of the firmware upgrades yet because I'm leary of introducing new problems, while fixing others in the process.

Does anyone regret updating their firmware on the K10d?
07-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jam2007 Quote
I haven't installed any of the firmware upgrades yet because I'm leary of introducing new problems, while fixing others in the process.

Does anyone regret updating their firmware on the K10d?
No. Each one has gone fine. I haven't encountered any evidence of previously working features getting broken by a subsequent release.

The instructions appear complicated, but only because there are a lot of words, and we're not used to reading instructions for anything in these days of easy-to-use products and short attention spans. I'm just as guilty in this regard as anyone else.

But there should be no reason to find them difficult. If you read them slowly and carefully, and do exactly what they say, no more and no less, you'll find them quite clear.

And so far, they've worked fine

07-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
If you read them slowly and carefully, and do exactly what they say, no more and no less, you'll find them quite clear.
These are the words that gave me trouble(taken from the Pentax firmware website):

"Make sure your camera currently has firmware version 1.00 through 1.20."

If I read this carefully and do exactly what it says, and my camera comes with v. 1.0 installed, I will install 1.10, 1.11, 1.20 and then 1.30. However, versions prior to 1.3 are not available.

The pentax representative that replied to my inquiry said the wording is supposed to mean you can't install a lower version than what you have installed on your camera. No matter how slowly I read that statement, I don't find it clear.
07-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Did you notice any improvements in picture quality, exposure, meter reading, etc? Anything like that?
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I went from 1.00 straight to 1.30, I don't remember where I was reading, but I DID get the impression that the flash is all inclusive. Anyways, I flashed it to 1.30 without any issues.

I didn't keep my test shots in 1.00, but I did play within the menus. There are more options (such as choosing what you want your edials to do and having wireless flash ability) in 1.30 than 1.00 that I found very useful.

I just hope there'll be a firmware flash to get the camera to do a 16bit RAW option... We already have a 22bit DAC, and pentax originally planned for 16bit raw... so come on pentax.
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Lee Quote
These are the words that gave me trouble(taken from the Pentax firmware website):

"Make sure your camera currently has firmware version 1.00 through 1.20."

If I read this carefully and do exactly what it says, and my camera comes with v. 1.0 installed, I will install 1.10, 1.11, 1.20 and then 1.30. However, versions prior to 1.3 are not available.

The pentax representative that replied to my inquiry said the wording is supposed to mean you can't install a lower version than what you have installed on your camera. No matter how slowly I read that statement, I don't find it clear.
The way I have always read this statement is that your camera must have version 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 on it. ("version 1.0 through 1.2")

Unlike incremental updates common on computers, camera firmware updates are complete packages that completely replace the firmware every time. (One cannot replace a newer version with an older one though.)

You are simply wasting your time if you install 1.11 and 1.2 first. Go straight to 1.3. Read and follow all the instructions and it will go fine. I have done this about 20 times without the slightest problem.

Strangely enough, even the newest cameras off the assembly line come with version 1.00, so it is always up to the end user to do any needed updates.