Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

- use a good SD card; for example a Class 10 30 Mb/s; in continuous shooting [Hi], you will need have 5 files per seconds to transfer to your card;

- you must set the camera in AF.S or Manual focus during continuous shooting [Hi]. Do not use AF.C.
I'll agree with most of your points, but my experience says that 20Mb/sec continuous write speed is fast enough for the K7 (so I'm not really disagreeing, just setting the bar a little lower for card speed).

AF C with either single point AF (Center Point or Select Point) mode will give you at least close to max frame rate. With Multipoint mode and AF C, frame rate will drop to about 3fps.

Scott

03-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I'll agree with most of your points, but my experience says that 20Mb/sec continuous write speed is fast enough for the K7 (so I'm not really disagreeing, just setting the bar a little lower for card speed).
I find that a faster SD card (like 30 MB/s) doesn't really increase the number of shots I can take in a burst, but it noticeably speeds up the buffer write-out time. So I only need to wait less than 10 seconds before the buffer is empty rather than 15 seconds or more.
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I find that a faster SD card (like 30 MB/s) doesn't really increase the number of shots I can take in a burst, but it noticeably speeds up the buffer write-out time. So I only need to wait less than 10 seconds before the buffer is empty rather than 15 seconds or more.
You are right: the card tranfer rate is not relevant if you take only a couple of shots. But it is essential when you take a long sequence of continuous shooting. The buffer will become full rapidly when the photos cannot be tranfered quickly enough to the card. This is a critical consideration if you do long sequence of continous shooting: e.g., 10 to 20 s or longer.

To date I have been able to do up to 45 s continuous shooting [Hi]. In the [Hi] mode, with no processing, an Sandisk Extreme III card, and 6 Mp JPEG files, I can achieve a "real" frame rate with the K-7 is very close to 5.2 fps +/- 0.1 fps. I mean, based upon the EXIF data of the files: e.g., about 31 shots in 6 s.

For those interested, I obtained my best results with my manual focus Nokton 58mm f1.4 lens. Its shallow DOF allows to pick up some amazing details : e.g., of water projections and droplets above a running creek.
03-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hcc,

Thanks for your helpful and informative posts here.

regards,
-tom