Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 High Speed Continuous Shooting

I discovered that High Speed Continuous mode is pretty limited when the two Lens Correction menu options, Distortion Correction and Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction, are set to on. The number of continuous shots is essentially reduced to one third.

With these options off, I'm getting 15-20 shots before the camera's processing buffer fills up and the camera begins to hesitate. With them on, it hesitates after 4 to 5 shots.

This isn't too surprising since these options obviously require more processing during the save operation.

Since I shoot sports and want to use the high speed mode, guess I'll just need to get smarter regarding the conditions when these settings are really necessary and make the necessary trade off accordingly.

re-t

03-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most of people do these corrections in post processing.
03-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think most of the people who worry about this sort of thing need to go out into their back yards and try to figure out which rock they left their life under.
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Suggestion only:

shoot RAW and do the corrections during PP.

JP

03-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

whoops......wrong post
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
I discovered that High Speed Continuous mode is pretty limited when the two Lens Correction menu options, Distortion Correction and Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction, are set to on.
I discovered the Earth is not flat.
03-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I discovered the Earth is not flat.
I could have told you that, but you probably would have ignored me
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes it takes way longer to save a file when those are turned on.

03-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I could have told you that, but you probably would have ignored me
I NEVER ignore anyone, I just discredit them and mock them and then belittle whatever else they have to say. THAT's the Canadian way!

Another signature banned? I saw nothing wrong with it!
03-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
I discovered that High Speed Continuous mode is pretty limited when the two Lens Correction menu options, Distortion Correction and Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction, are set to on. The number of continuous shots is essentially reduced to one third.
With these options off, I'm getting 15-20 shots before the camera's processing buffer fills up and the camera begins to hesitate. With them on, it hesitates after 4 to 5 shots.
This isn't too surprising since these options obviously require more processing during the save operation.
Since I shoot sports and want to use the high speed mode, guess I'll just need to get smarter regarding the conditions when these settings are really necessary and make the necessary trade off accordingly.
re-t
The topic of continuous shooting was discussed in other threads: for example https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/87505-k-x-continuo...g-problem.html. Let us go back to the basics.

If you do continuous shooting (Hi), the optiumum setting are:

- remove all post-processing (especially lens correction) in your camera settings; extremely important because the PP slows down the writing speed; Do check that lens correction is Off

- use a good SD card; for example a Class 10 30 Mb/s; in continuous shooting [Hi], you will need have 5 files per seconds to transfer to your card;

- do not saturate the buffer: select a file format (and size) that allows you some continuous shooting without saturating the buffer; for example, with a class 10 SD card, ensure that the file size is less than 6 Mb to achieve 5 fps; I use myself JPEG 6Mp [***] file format with my Sandisk SD class 10 card;

- do not use RAW in continuous shooting [Hi]: you will fill up the buffer after a couple of shots.

- you must set the camera in AF.S or Manual focus during continuous shooting [Hi]. Do not use AF.C.

These basic guidelines are used by every serious "continuous shooter". It is correct that you may need to correct for lens distortion and a simple software like PTLens does a great job, especially when you have a large number of photographs.
03-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #11
bfo

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
- you must set the camera in AF.S or Manual focus during continuous shooting [Hi]. Do not use AF.C.

Could you please explain why?
03-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
Could you please explain why?
In AF.C, the camera will continue to adjust the AF continuously: the processing will slow the camera and you will not not achieve 5.2 fps in [Hi] mode.
03-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
In AF.C, the camera will continue to adjust the AF continuously: the processing will slow the camera and you will not not achieve 5.2 fps in [Hi] mode.

Just as a matter of interest is that with all makes or just Pentax.

I would have thought AF.C is when the high fps would be most needed.
03-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Just as a matter of interest is that with all makes or just Pentax.

I would have thought AF.C is when the high fps would be most needed.
I think the higher end Nikons and Canons dedicate a processor to AF so that AF performance isn't compromised as much.
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I read that one of those two, C or N or maybe both, you can choose focus or shutter priority. So it'll either only fire when focus is confirmed, or just fire away even if not in focus.