Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
I'd just like to say a big thanks to Ira too. I was scratching my head trying to work out why my manual Chinon 50mm f1.7 wasn't stopping down in AV mode and beginning to think that I'd have to put it in the back of the cupboard.

Now I can use it and I am so pleased. It's a fabulous lens, beautiful colours and bokeh despite only having a six blade iris.
Glad my explanation helped, but I keep forgetting to tell people that with M42 with A/M setting, you CAN use Av mode. All of mine are M42, and I've just only been doing it in M mode, so it keeps slipping my mind that Av works with these lenses.

HOWEVER...........

I just did a quick test or two in my office because I'm going to be going outside to do preliminary testing on 3 of my Taks, and I got DRAMATICALLY different exposure results between Av and M. M was MUCH closer to correct exposure, with no EV needed.

But this is why I'm doing these tests today. (See my thread in Lenses.) Compensation is often needed, with some lenses a lot better than others, but it's not equal at all F stops. I'm going to test to find the sweet spots on these 3 lenses as far as correct exposure goes.

03-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Ira, you probably know that already, the adventage of Av mode mover M mode is that you can use Exposure compensation +- EV to compensate for the over-and under exposure. Also, since the lens can only metering on either center-weigh or spot, that is why you will have to adjust EV accordingly. It all comes with experience, but I usually chimp... before I get the final shot. M42 lens is great, except for the inconvenience of the adapter (on and off) between M42 and K-mount lenses. Have fun with it... I have been shooting primarily on MF lens lately.
03-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Sara, there's a bunch of other stuff you'll have to do too before you can use those lenses, depending on the lens. I'll summarize the above and more here:

1) Custom Menu 4--Use Aperture Ring--Permitted.

2) Menu 4--Green Button--Action in M Mode--TV Shift.

3) Camera Focus Switch on the front of the body to M (manual).

4) Mount the lens--turn on camera..and scroll to the correct focal length.

The camera doesn't know what to do as far as Shake Reduction goes, so every time you install a manual lens or power up the camera with a manual lens on it, you have to tell it the focal length. (If you leave the lens on there, it will default to the last number you selected.) Just choose the number that's closest to what you have. For a zoom, pick a number which you think will be closest to what you'll mostly be shooting. It's not all that critical, since it's only for Shake Reduction, but Shake Reduction is pretty fantastic.

5) Set camera to Manual mode (dial on top).

6) Set lens to Manual.

Look through viewfinder. You should see it getting darker as you turn the aperture ring to the higher numbers.

7) For shooting, select an aperture you want to shoot at. Focus, and you will get a beep and a little flashing diamond icon for in-focus confirmation at the bottom of the viewfinder.

8) Hit the green button--and it will display the shutter speed that the camera has selected for that aperture. (You don't have to keep holding the Green Button down--it's locked at that shutter speed until you hit the Green Button again.)

9) Depress shutter button half way and wait to see the "Hand," the Shake Reduction icon, at the bottom of the viewfinder. THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL SHOOTING--EVEN ON AUTOMATIC LENSES. SR IS NOT ACTIVE UNTIL YOU SEE THE HAND!

10) Fully depress shutter button.

11) Rinse and repeat.

Some tips:

If you don't want to mess with the Green Button to set the shutter speed for each shot, you can shoot in Av mode (aperture priority), but this will only work at your lens's widest aperture. (I'm not sure why, or if you have to choose Automatic on the the lens.)

Also, you will always see "F--" in your viewfinder, because the lens can't communicate its aperture to the camera. So, this is normal. You will also not get the aperture used in the EXIF data when you use the Pentax Utility software that came on a CD with the camera or another computer program.

Finally, you may want to focus wide open, then go to your desired aperture before hitting the Green Button. Believe me--the visual and audio in focus confirmation is a big help, but you still want to see the in focus for yourself, because it's not 100% reliable, and it depends on the focus point(s) the camera is using. And it's just easier to focus in the brighter viewfinder of wide open.

HOPE THIS HELPS! AND HAVE FUN!

(And I'm telling you all this regardless of the outcome of some stupid hockey game.)
Bedankt voor deze uitleg, heb het vandaag geprobeerd en inderdaad werkt perfect me mijn oude K1000 objectieven. ben ik blij om want mjn 50 mm f2.0 is een zeer goede lens.
hoewel ik op zoek ben naar de samyang 85mm f1.4, enkel via ebay te vinden ...maar is dit wel te vertrouwen?
03-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Ira, you probably know that already, the adventage of Av mode mover M mode is that you can use Exposure compensation +- EV to compensate for the over-and under exposure. Also, since the lens can only metering on either center-weigh or spot, that is why you will have to adjust EV accordingly.
I know, but M just seems easier to me because of all the EV I NEED when shooting my lenses in Av mode.

In M mode, exposure usually perfect, so I'll just use my center weighted metering, aim the segment on what I want to meter for, hit the green button, and then I frame the shot.

You're probably right for the fast moving stuff, in that as long as I know what my Ev should be for that lens, just be ready to hit it. I'll start playing with that down the road.

Last edited by Ira; 03-27-2010 at 08:52 AM.
04-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
yes, you can use old manual lens on kx. but You need to go to Custom Menu 4 and change Using Aperture Ring from Prohibited to Permitted. and you can press the green button for exposure measuring
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #21

Hello. I know this thread is old, but I have just registered, and I have a new K-x . After some experimenting, I have found that M42 lenses will work in Av mode, only if the electric contacts in the mount flange are shorted, i.e. if the lens's flange is conductive (don't ask how I realize this). If this condition is fulfilled the the exposition is fine (more or less).

Best regards

Javier