Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #1

Yet Another K-x Battery Problem

I've been using GP 2700 rechargeable NiMH batteries for a while. I used them with my old Fuji S700 and had no problem. When I try to use K-x with GP batteries, the camera just don't turn on.. I tried to wait before I turn the camera on, tried re-charging them, nothing worked out so far. Now, I know K-x is pretty picky about the batteries but I didn't expect to have problems with the GPs. They are really powerful batteries (2600mAh) and I can't understand why this issue occurs. I also tried Duracell batteries, lasted only about 80 shots. What's more surprising is, I'm using the batteries that comes with the kit. I think it's been over 1100 shots and still going pretty "green".

So, I'd like to use my GP batteries, is that possible in any way or do I have to buy Eneloops like everyone had to..

03-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the newest firmware upgrade as this will solve the problem in most cases. What is the battery type selection in the menu set at? Set it to auto and after fresh battery installation give it 30 seconds or so before you turn the camera on.
I use the Rayovac hybrids and they are just fine so you don't have to use the Eneloops. All that being asked/said, I had the same problem to a lesser degree before I downloaded and installed the 1.01 firmware upgrade.
Good luck!
03-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Get some eneloops + Sanyo eneloop charger = problems solved.

Other rechargables may work but eneloops are a completely safe bet.

Also check that you have the latest firmware (1.01) and if not, update your firmware. The newest firmware makes a big difference to the K-x's battery handling.

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
03-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet Another K-x Battery Problem

QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote
They are really powerful batteries (2600mAh) and I can't understand why this issue occurs.
The 2600mAh rating is the storage capacity of the battery NOT the output capacity. Modern DSLR's require higher current than older cameras. As you try to pull more current out of a battery the voltage of the battery drops. This is where there are problems with a lot of AA batteries. They simply cannot supply the required current without the output voltage falling below what the camera requires. Check out the sticky thread "Battery for K-x (and other cameras that take AA's)" at the top of this forum for more info on AA batteries.

My personal choice in my K200D are Sanyo Eneloop's with a Sanyo Eneloop charger which can be purchased with a set of Eneloop batteries.

Hope this helps,

03-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

I use both Eneloops and Rayovac Hybrids and they work equally well. Unless you tend to shoot 600+ pictures at a time, I would strongly recommend that you get hybrid batteries, such as one of these two, as they hold their charge for months.
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Get some eneloops + Sanyo eneloop charger = problems solved.

Other rechargables may work but eneloops are a completely safe bet.

Also check that you have the latest firmware (1.01) and if not, update your firmware. The newest firmware makes a big difference to the K-x's battery handling.

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
Totally agree. I have three eneloops chargers and 12 of their 2000 mAh batteries...very good.
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

i am using the enlopes, they are pretty good.

04-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eneloops are good. I also use Maha Powerex and Imedion batteries which have a higher capacity (2700mah and 2100mah)
04-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The issue isn't Mah but voltage as far as I understand it. The Eneloops are the way to go.
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Inactive Account

here's my experience,

i had some older sanyo 2600mah nimh's that the kx just doesn't like. i found out later that those batteries had problems holding a steady charge.

OTOH, i've put in some panasonic 2100mah's, also a few years old and they work like a charm.

so far eneloops (2 years old) have been pretty stable.

the kx's meter will read orange for a while (latest firmware) so don't be surprised.
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've tried to use the GP2700s in a K100D and they just don't seem to last. Just like you I was very happy with them in a P&S; I even bought an extra set when I bought the K100D

I'm now trying a set of GP recyko and so far so good; we're are at 350 jpegs and 110 raws and they are still going.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html post #5 for a list of possible candidates (if I understand the post correctly).
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #12

For my K200D I used normal battery and I had many problem when it was could, the battery was often empty also when I don't used it. I have changed with Panasoni AA Infinium 2100 mAh, it works fine and I had no more battery problem. I know this is not the same case but you can try this battery.
04-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Drop in some lithiums, and update the firmware.

Then try the same.

But in case it doesn't (for whatever reason), try Eneloops as previously suggested, or Duracell 2650 mAh Rechargeables.
04-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Guess I will pick up some eneloops pretty soon. Can they work in any charger? Cause I've already got an energizer charger.
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Guess I will pick up some eneloops pretty soon. Can they work in any charger? Cause I've already got an energizer charger.
They will work in that energizer charger but there is a chance that particular charger will not charge the Eneloops to their full capabilities. You can buy Eneloops that come with a charger, or you can read the many great comments on this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html