Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-X, K-M or other for 1st dslr

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I'm in the hunt for my first dslr, had posted in Nikon forum but someone there suggested maybe a Pentax. So I'm looking for recommedations for new or 2nd hand Pentax body & kit lens up to max $550, preferably a bit cheaper.

My shots are for my photo blog (Eclectic images), flickr or home wall so I don't need anything amazing- just a good all rounder.

I have 1 child, another coming next month so getting good portraits, low light capabilities a plus.
Budget is/will continue to be an issue so I'd be looking at inexpensive 2nd hand lens mainly.

I suppose it makes sense to get a camera that'll work with as many lens as possible- do Pentax have a large amt of lens (2nd hand available), are they cheaper/more expensive than other brands?

I suppose the lens that I'd be looking at getting after a while would probably be a nifty fifty, good length zoom for sports (and possible other shots too), cheap macro maybe.

The obvious other choices (besides Nikon)are such as Pentax K-M/K2000, Canon 1000D, Olympus E-510/20, Sony Alpha A350 etc.
would you recommend your Pentax over other cameras?

I know people feel them and see which you prefer and the any I've mentioned will do the job but I'm still happy to get advice from users.

Cheers,

03-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like money is a critical issue. That makes me wonder how long you'll be happy having spent a lot money on lesser equipment. I think the K-X is at the outer edge if not past your stated limits. But if you can handle it the K-X is probably worth the extra dough.

I own a K-2000 and am happy with it but if starting out I'm not sure it's the route I'd go.

If you really want a cheap but capable alternative, Best Buy has a refurbished K100D available for $239 and the 18-55mm kit lens is really quite good. So for under $300 you have a very decent DSLR. It's only 6MP but you will find many many people in this forum who have owned, love, still own and use a K100D. (myself included). Many people also applaud the K100D's low light ability.

Other than that, maybe a DSLR isn't right for you at this time. In which case I can recommend Panasonic's line of bridge cameras, Their FZ series. IIRC the FZ-35 or FZ-38 is the most current. They have all been well received and can be found used in good condition on e-bay.
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I suggest go for the Kx rather than to buy something cheaper and regret it in the end.
IMO it is the best value DSLR so far and has the best high ISO performance.

About the lenses, Pentax doesnt have the cheapest nifty fifty and primes out there i think Canon has more lens options but pentax has in-body shake reduction w/c Canon Nikon dont.

It all depends to what you are shooting mostly. I check out your site and i think Pentax is a better choice budget wise..
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the K-x. There's simply nothing that beats it, not just in low-light capabilties, but in just about every other feature. And for what it's going for, it's definitely worth shelling the extra bucks over the K-m for.

All the best for the safe delivery of your second little one, and welcome to the forum.

03-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-X with kit lens is under $550 at amazon right now.
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

The K-x is my first DSLR and I couldn't be happier. It's easy to use now but has plenty of advanced features to use as I progress. So far, I love it.
03-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

If you do decide to try the KX fumfie.com has the Kx with kit lens $459.00 which is well within your price range. They advertise on e-bay.

03-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

careful of funfie.com. Seen some reports of them selling grey market camera. That means no USA warrenty possiably. Also they tack on a 6% fee.

Here a month old on on ebay for $470 + shipping.

Ebay
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

I would recommend a K-x for first DSLR, it's an amazing camera. Also, if you want something cheaper second-hand, I would recommend a K200D or maybe K20D (have no idea about it's current pricing). Technically speaking, K-x has some very decent low-light capabilities (mathematically, but to be exact, they have a very-very good noise removal tool in JPEG conversion).
I don't know, if you want to use it in rough weather, but the K20D is weather resistant (to some extent) while to my best knowledge the K-x is not.
03-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

First DSLR camera.

Coming from an owner of a KM(K2000). Pick up a KX hands down no looking back. I don't hate my Km by any means but the Kx is just so much more better than the Km for only a couple dollars more. Don't know about Ireland but a new Kx is $649 here a slightly used Km maybe 399$ used? For the extra money you get an overall better camera that you'd have HD video, HDR, and better ISO performance. All definately worth it.
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I would never consider of a K2000/k-m now that the k-x is out, it's way more worth the price differential. Out of the suggested ones that you've listed, the K-x outperforms them all in terms of IQ and features like in-body SR and corrections. A perfect noobie camera.
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
My head is fried- on minutethinking of getting the K-X, next minute thinking of getting something like a Canon 350D with kit lens & Tamron 18-200 zoom for about €200 or so...
03-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #13

Have you thought about the K10D?
Last generation, but it's a little more pro-sumer oriented, if you can live without video. I got mine refurbished through Best Buy for about 400+tax.
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
At the moment I'm going with K-X, kit lens & 55-200 for €407.

My only concern is are 2nd hand lens a lot more expensive than Canon/Nikon- mainly nifty fifty or 35mm fixed (want a lens for pics of toddler & new baby coming.
03-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have found that Pentax mount used lenses to be less than the others, Love my KM but would go for the KX