Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

KX Remotes compared

I ordered a few remotes for use with my KX. Itís a feature I use often. The larger remote on the left is one of the popular inexpensive universal types of remotes. It cost me a whopping $2.99 with shipping included from Hong Kong. It works Ok at close distance. I seemed to have intermittent operation with this remote. Ordered another, same issue. Over about 15 feet it just didnít work at all. The batteries were fine in both.

Ordered the Pentax Remote F for $25 including P&H. It works much better. Wider angle of operation and its works at 30 feet in bright sunlight on my KX.

The Pentax remote is VERY SMALL. And easy to loose. It would be perfect with a wrist strap. There are 3 small screws to open it for battery replacement.

WS

Attached Images

03-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just use my nokia smartphone as the remote controller
03-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have both of the remote controls as in the ỌP But I find myself using the YongNuo RF-602TX more and more.

It is RF, so I don't need line-of-sight. The range is greater (I haven't tested it for range, but more than 30ft for sure).

More importantly for indoor flash shooting: I still can use wireless flash even with 2 sec delay shutter release.

With infra-red remote control, in 3 sec delay mode, wireless flash is disabled.

The trade-off is that the RF-602TX is larger and clumsier with multiple components.

The RF-602TX costs $28.49 on FleaBay with free shipping.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.
03-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The "C" version of the remote is like $12 shipped on ebay and can be clip mounted to the camera strap. Would have bought one, but realized my old canon EOS remote of the same style would probably function fine with the K-X. Been meaning to buy batteries all week to test it.

Update: No, the Canon RC-1 remote does not trigger the Pentax K-x. Guess I'll pick up the "C"

Last edited by kxr4trids; 03-17-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Update
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I didnt know the KX works with RF remotes. I thought it only had an IR reciever.
03-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Excellent idea!
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I also have those 2 remotes, but also have a wired remote what i often use when digitalizing documents. Than i hang the K7 under the tripod. The wireless remote is at its best strait from the front or the back of the cam. But when you're cam is aimed at the table while hanging 1.5mtr above the table, a wireless remote is practically useless.
On a Kx, I've found that I can use the IR remote from the camera's right side, by pointing directly at the camera. I've also used the remote by aiming at something in front of the camera and bouncing to the IR port.

I also missed a strap at the original remote. I compromised my warrenty and connected a strap myself

Just carefully open the remote, cut some very small openings in the side of the remote (very easy, you will see when opened) and close the remote again.
Perfect! I've heard of people drilling through the remote, but never had the nerve. This is exactly what I want for the remote - a detachable neck strap.

Thank you.
03-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

Fantastic idea Sakura! I've been keeping mine in the box just because it's bigger and a little harder to lose. I've toyed with the idea of putting some velcro on the remote and some on my tripod, but I don't trust it holding.

Now I just need to find a little wrist strap like this...hmm....

03-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Forum Member

Woohoo! 5min later and here's some snapshots. Took more time to find a strap and utility knife. lol

I guess my old Sony P&S was good for something now after all!
03-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Men, how could you, a sony strap on a pentax remote

Well, at second thought, finally sony is connected to something good
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Men, how could you, a sony strap on a pentax remote

Well, at second thought, finally sony is connected to something good
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #12

taking the offical Pentax remote f apart, I was impressed with its quality. I was expecting a blob (chip on board), connected to the switch, battery and led, and nothing else. Instead I find an actual packaged microcontroller (or cpld perhaps) with external resonator, two switch pads (only one exposed to the user), a big storage capacitor (47uF at 6.3v) and a driver transistor for the infrared led.

It looks to me as if the driver is configured to dump the capacitor into the led, which should really boost the output. Scoping the cathode of the led (anode was tied directly to the postive rail via a 1 ohm resistor), I could see the puny 2012 battery sagging, but the wave still looks pretty clean.

Using a modulation carrier of 37 kHz, the remote outputs two signals when you press and hold the button, first a rapid fire set of bursts, followed by a brief delay, and then a shorter signal repeating over and over with almost no delay. The second hidden switch outputs a slightly longer burst of signals, and does not repeat if held.

I did not try firing the open remote at my K-x to see what the second button does.
03-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by holance Quote
I just use my nokia smartphone as the remote controller
nice, where did u get driver/soft for that? i came across only WM version....
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter

How?

How do you use this on a K-x? It has not cable remote socket. I love an RF remote on my K-7, but for the K-x I know of no option since it lacks the cable release port.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I have both of the remote controls as in the ỌP But I find myself using the YongNuo RF-602TX more and more.

It is RF, so I don't need line-of-sight. The range is greater (I haven't tested it for range, but more than 30ft for sure).

More importantly for indoor flash shooting: I still can use wireless flash even with 2 sec delay shutter release.

With infra-red remote control, in 3 sec delay mode, wireless flash is disabled.

The trade-off is that the RF-602TX is larger and clumsier with multiple components.

The RF-602TX costs $28.49 on FleaBay with free shipping.
03-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bulldogface Quote
nice, where did u get driver/soft for that? i came across only WM version....
I use irRemote for symbian cellphone