Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

Canikon dealer used a Pentax

My husband had passport photos made today at one of the only true camera stores in our area. While we were waiting we overheard the owner say several times that he is a Canon/Nikon dealer only. After the photos were taken, my husband came out smiling and whispered, "He took the picture with a Pentax K110D." We found this pretty amusing!

The owner offers beginner film/DSLR classes each month. I was thinking about signing up...now I'm very curious to hear his take on cameras!

03-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the person didn't ask the correct question. He should have asked the owner what camera he used rather than what he sold.
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
LOL! Exactly! Good point, Blue.
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Banned

maybe he figured the K110D was only good for passport photos.

03-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So I listed my historic 2nd home for sale [google TOLAND ADOBE BISBEE ARIZONA] and the realtor sent her photographer over for the MLS shots. I didn't expect Julius Knipl but I hoped it would be someone with pro gear doing a pro job, someone to talk to. Instead, here comes an old cowboy with a Sony Mavica, 10x zoom, all of 640x480 resolution, pictures written to a floppy disc. We had nothing to say.

Real estate photos, passport photos, store ID photos -- they don't need a dSLR, don't need fancy glass, don't even need 1mpx resolution. That dealer could have been using a Mavica. At least his standards were a bit higher.
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
maybe he figured the K110D was only good for passport photos.
Maybe. But when I go out to work on my old Bronco, I don't say "hey, its 30 years old so I'm going to use the shittiest wrench in the tool box." In other words, I use my best tools except in situations where I know they will get fubar.
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So I listed my historic 2nd home for sale [google TOLAND ADOBE BISBEE ARIZONA] and the realtor sent her photographer over for the MLS shots. I didn't expect Julius Knipl but I hoped it would be someone with pro gear doing a pro job, someone to talk to. Instead, here comes an old cowboy with a Sony Mavica, 10x zoom, all of 640x480 resolution, pictures written to a floppy disc. We had nothing to say.

Real estate photos, passport photos, store ID photos -- they don't need a dSLR, don't need fancy glass, don't even need 1mpx resolution. That dealer could have been using a Mavica. At least his standards were a bit higher.
Nothing personal, I've seen crap photos be a problem in real estate etc. I'd rather the printer down size as needed. I've done newsletters and there isn't anything that pisses my off quicker than people promising good images and sending me low res crap that would be crap even if it were in focus.

03-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well for what it's worth, these photos were technically for a handgun license. All handgun license photos are used with the LEO Facial Recognition Database. Therefor, they have to be in focus and of good resolution (overall good IQ).

I had posted this because I was amused at the owner's choice of "personal" gear...especially since I'm sure he could have his choice of any bottom shelf Canon/Nikon for "lowly i.d-type photos". It makes me wonder what other personal Pentax gear he has, and/or what his opinion of it is. I wasn't intending to rag on the guy...I was actually thinking it was pretty cool that he recognizes Pentax at all, let alone actually uses one in his business.