Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 and Steve Kroeger climb Aconcagua (6962m)

I just found and wanted to share the following expedition report:

Steve Kroeger mit der Pentax K-7 auf dem Aconcagua | fotointern.ch - Fotografie Nachrichten

Google-translated:
Google Translate

May be an interesting read. Steve Kroeger seems to have been impressed by the K-7.

03-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

many out door photographers seems to like k7. Size and weather sealing are big plus.
i remember seeing some good pictures in a local magazine here in japan.
03-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Superb, thanks a lot. Will be looking forward to his next ascents
04-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #4

i am using a kx now. but i really like the weather sealing of k7. that's so cool

04-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great report thanks for the link.
04-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Great report thanks for the link.
BTW ... I have seen that Pentax Germany now features the story on the Pentax K-7 minisite

PENTAX K-7
Go to the 4th tab "K-7 im Einsatz" -> "Steve Kroeger"

It is Flash (for no good reason) so Google translate is unavailable. Blame Pentax.
04-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great report. Does anyone know which lens(es) Steve Kroeger used? It would be some WR or DA* lens(es) (?).

Thanks in advance for any insight...

04-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, I would like to find out too, which lens did Steve Kroeger used during the expedition to Aconcagua.

I will be going up to the highest peak in South East Asia (4,095m ASL) sometime middle of this year. Would like to know what lens is suitable.

Cheers.
04-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
I will be going up to the highest peak in South East Asia (4,095m ASL) sometime middle of this year. Would like to know what lens is suitable.

Cheers.
Mt Kinabalu, right? I was there two years ago and it's a really nice trek. I only brought a Sigma 18-50/2.8 and I didn't feel I was missing anything. Basically you will shoot landscape and nature (trees/flowers) shots and people/group shots. I.e. something wide to normal is good. A macro might be good if you want to lug it around.

The second day you normally start around midnight so there's a few very dark hours before sunrise. A fast lens will help to get you maybe a couple of shots during this time.

I would not recommend bringing too much. Depending on your pace and fitness you might not have the time and energy to switch lenses a lot.

There's some really nice panoramic views along the way as well. I shot several images and stitched them together and it worked out really nice.
04-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

that's an amazing place in Argentina, I've been there but didn't get to the top unfortunately my camera was stolen shortly after and I lost all the photos that's when I learned that personal experiences are much more valuable than photographs, that is until I get old and senile...
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Does anyone know which lens(es) Steve Kroeger used?
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
Yes, I would like to find out too, which lens did Steve Kroeger used during the expedition to Aconcagua.
I have been in contact with Steve about this.

He used the 18-250 (I suppose the smc DA 18-250 mm / 3,5~6,3 ED AL [IF]).

He thinks this combo (K-7 + 18-250) was "just perfect".

Personally, I agree that this is a quite versatile combo. I know, not weathersealed and not the best lens optically. But I guess, cold rather than wet was the issue here and having to change lenses can be too challenging in some situations.

BTW, everybody considering this combo: I strongly recommend to shoot PEF (rather than DNG) and use DxO to convert images (DxO doesn't recognize DNG yet). Because after the quite capable DxO treatment, images from the 18-250 have a much better image quality. I've returned to using this lens myself, now that the 18-250 DxO module is out.
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I have been in contact with Steve about this.

He used the 18-250 (I suppose the smc DA 18-250 mm / 3,5~6,3 ED AL [IF]).

He thinks this combo (K-7 + 18-250) was "just perfect".

Personally, I agree that this is a quite versatile combo. I know, not weathersealed and not the best lens optically. But I guess, cold rather than wet was the issue here and having to change lenses can be too challenging in some situations.

BTW, everybody considering this combo: I strongly recommend to shoot PEF (rather than DNG) and use DxO to convert images (DxO doesn't recognize DNG yet). Because after the quite capable DxO treatment, images from the 18-250 have a much better image quality. I've returned to using this lens myself, now that the 18-250 DxO module is out.
Falconeye,

Thank you kindly for obtaining the info. Much appreciated. Whoa !!!! I am amazed and very impressed that such a professional photographer use the DA18-250mm in such extreme conditions. Amazing !

I have also the DA18-250mm, and I know that it is a great lens, one the best in its category. But the lens got some 'bashing' from a few silly individuals who compared its IQ to prime lenses. It is also discontinued unforunately.

This is possibly the most extreme test that I have heard for the DA18-250mm. It ought to be advertised among the Pentaxian community and to Pentax itself. We are still awaiting a replacement of the DA18-250mm !

Cheers....
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm certainly no pro, but the 18-250 would be my one-lens choice. The only cover shot I ever sold was from this lens. There are other pros using this lens as well.
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have that lens and I use it as my travel/everything lens. It's a lot better than it gets credit for.

Samples
DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 - a set on Flickr
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Banned

Wow that's good news for Pentax. Maybe in future the new 18-135mm WR lens as a good travel lens.

@Falk is there a general difference between PEF and DNG for all lenses? Always shoot DNG so never looked into this. (maybe new topic not to spoil this one).