Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

k-x and SDHD card classes

From what I have read before my purchase, class 6 cards were considered the minimum to use in dslr cameras.

Is this true? I have a class 6 Patriot LX card that seems to work fine.

Would a class 10 card make any difference in like multi exposure mode or HI drive modes?

03-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

For k-x it is does not matter 6 or 10, Class6 is enough for video and serial shots.
03-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LRaven Quote
For k-x it is does not matter 6 or 10, Class6 is enough for video and serial shots.
Really? Because I was trying to take photos of a bowl of Rice Krispies with a class 6 card, and it just wasn't working out.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a class 4 8gb sdhc and it works just fine
I've also used an old regular 2gb sd card and I don't know if there's much of a difference.
I don't shoot any video but I use continuous drive all the time

03-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Alot of the better brands (sandisk, patriot and others) class 6 cards actually have faster speeds anyway - class 6 was simply the highest available standard rating for several years. Class 10 has only been introduced in the last 6 months, but I would bet many of the slightly older class 6 cards (and current ones) have speeds that come very close to the class 10s in actual use.

In regards to your question, I do not believe a class 10 would offer any faster real world speeds over the class 6 card as class 6 is the rating/recommended card speed for the K-x which connotates the cameras limitation for data transfer.
03-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

My KX purchased from Costco came with 2 PNY 2GB sdhc cards that dont even have the rating printed on the label.

The worked fine in continous shooting, took 15 frames - no issue at all. Didnt do any video yet though.
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

The class 6 cards are cheaper too.

I don't do any video with the K-x. The lack of autofocus while shooting is kind of a feature killer. I have a video camera for that anyway.

I feel like I have just scratched the surface of the camera's features and capabilities after a month. I have to sort out the lack of flash fill in sunlight. But I love the over, under, normal triple pic shooting. It really made a difference when I was shooting the Del in Coronado last month