Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I go back to Pentax?

I start these threads all the time, and usually buy the camera, decide I don't like it, sell it, and then buy another one. Except that this time, I actually have 2 cameras that I like, two different Canon Rebels. I still want a Pentax though because of the lenses and SR mostly, Canon's equivalent of both is not exactly cheap. If I got Pentax I could get an awesome 1.4 manual prime for $50 and the 18-200 kit range with great quality for $150 total, all of which costs just a little more than one of my Canon lenses and gives double the range and quality. I don't know what to do though.

03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

from a former long-time resident of Rodent Park

Can't you have it both ways? Aren't there M42-Canon and PK-Canon adapters for those manual lenses? Oh, you want the 18-200 too. Well, I guess you're doomed. Keep churning those purchases and sales; the economy needs you.

PS: Pentax bodies beat Canons in user ratings at DpReview.com if that means anything to you.
03-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've owned the *ist DS, K100D, and the K10D before. The *ist DS was an amazing camera, just too slow. The K100D is actually what I think I want to get again, either that or the K-x because of it's high ISO. The 18-55/50-200mm is what I was referring to though.
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You really need to fathom why it is that you don't like the cameras that you buy and therefore find the need to sell them. This should give you an insight into what it is you do not like about those cameras and therefore can make an informed decidison as to what you require in a camera.

One thing you need to remember is, though, and that is that every camera brand and camera model is a compromise and that not every brand or model can be everything to everyone.

Much of the debates about which camera brand is best is not so much that "Canon is better than Nikon" or that "Nikon is better than Pentax" or whatever, it is about which brand is best for you and your requirements. Once you can decide what your requirements are, then you are a long way into deciding which brand/model will suit you.

It may be pointless purchasing Pentax if you are a sports enthusiast or birder and require the long lenses of 600mm f4 or whatever.

However, you may want a small camera with SR and superb primes or standard zooms and Pentax fills htis niche perfectly.

Now, some of the things I like about Pentax are:
Ergonomics
Superb lenses
K-7 size (specific model)
Build quality
SR
Features

03-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get a K-x. They're fantastic. The T1i is the only current rebel that comes close to its signal-noise-ratio and while the T2i is on about the same level, it's still expensive and lacks SR. I plan to use one of each in parallel in the future but right now the K-x is a pretty tough little package to beat.
03-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Where is the KX selling with the 55x300 and kit lens cheap ?
I wnat one too . The least cheapest I can find is $684 , was hoping for $640 or so
03-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe you could get Gary to sell you another camera.

I would quit switching systems. I think with any camera, it takes time to learn how it functions. Every camera and system has its weaknesses and strengths. You can take great photos with every camera out there (even point and shoots). If you are having trouble with your Rebels, it is likely you and not the camera. Even the K10 (which you disliked) takes great photos.

Every time you switch systems, you lose money. Far better to stick it out with one and focus on yourself and how you use it to get better photos.

I am not a big fan of the Rebel class. Sort of feel like Canon cripples them to protect its upper end lines, the xxD and xD classes, but still, you can do fine with them.

03-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stay with Canon ... you know it makes sense
03-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've owned the *ist DS, K100D, and the K10D before. The *ist DS was an amazing camera, just too slow. The K100D is actually what I think I want to get again, either that or the K-x because of it's high ISO. The 18-55/50-200mm is what I was referring to though.
If slow bothers you, forget the K100D. The K-x is greased lighting in comparison.
03-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just use what you have, if you buy too many of the same kind in this case digital in the same feature range, you're wasting your money and time. Just stick to one and get out and shoot.

This is advice i should take myself, don't waste time and money on stuff you're not going to use regularly especially when there is no gain in satisfaction or finances. Research and find ONE and stick to it don't waste your time/effort in looking to fill a need/feature when you can be out enjoying making images.
03-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jesus Quote
Where is the KX selling with the 55x300 and kit lens cheap ?
I wnat one too . The least cheapest I can find is $684
Considering that's basically $300 lens - and the 18-55 a $75 lens - you're essentially getting the camera for $300. That *is* cheap.
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Stay with Canon ... you know it makes sense

I second that... one less person to bid on the prestine m42 lens on fleabay..
03-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Most importantly - what don't you like about your photographs that makes you want to switch back to Pentax?

And how will a Pentax improve your photography?
03-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And how will a Pentax improve your photography?
Pentax improves EVERYBODY'S photography, of course. High-end Canikony'ans NEED their costly gear because they haven't imbued the mystical Pentax aura. (It's like, if rich people are so smart, why do they need to send their kids to those expensive schools?)
03-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have been given a Canon XT and the only thing I can say that is good about it is that it is almost like dumbproof!
You won't learn too much photography with the Canon as with the Pentax.
First thing, mine has the 18-55mm kit lens (non-IS) and when I try to look for other lenses for it, it is sooo expensive specially the "IS" ones!
Another thing is that you can't just attache any lens to it, you are actually stuck with the EF ot EF-S lenses..mostly made by Canon too!
As compared to my K100DS, I can do anything with it, and the lenses that I buy are all "IS" or "SR" since the shake reduction is in-body and I don't have to ridiculously buy it everytime I have to buy a lens!
I can do macro, I can attach bellows, do anything with my Pentax..which is a good and a bad thing since with the Pentax, I can be creative with all the tools I need at my disposal and pretty affordable (good), the only bad thing about it is I get LBA since the lenses and the accessories or whatever I can think about for it is affordable!
My Canon XT I usually treat like a P&S if I need to shoot fast and no fuss.
I use the Pentax when I want to be creative and precise.
This much I can say 'coz I have both and use both!
I prefer Pentax and would never part with it!
Closed Thread