Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
Zou

I'm not wanting to start an argument but the OP has a very valid point. I have experienced similar issues with my K100D - battery depleted message but then the same batteries working again after a few minutes. I read many of the other threads here which evangelise about Eneloops and have to say they gave me hope, so I bought two brand new sets. I continue to have the same problems. One time I can switch on and it shows full power, another (on the same day) no power, then another (same day still) power again. Whilst shooting the readout changes from full to half and back again regularly, so I never know how long a set will last. Result? I leave the K100D at home, because it's let me down too many times when I've needed it. Carrying a set of fully charged batteries is no answer, as chances are they won't work either (no really, been there, done that).

If my batteries are 'fried' why are they not still fried later when I switch on again? Can someone explain why the camera gives an inconsistent readout of battery power, or is it that the power of the batteries miraculously increases over time?

According to what I've read here and elsewhere, this issue has been plaguing models since the *ist, and yet Pentax haven't bothered to write anything in their manuals along the lines of 'we recommend eneloop style batteries.' If this type of battery really is the answer, why not promote that fact instead of scaring off lots of users who assume it's a Pentax fault? And why be cheap and supply the camera with alkalines which only last a day or so anyway?

Do people have the same issues with CR-V3s? I'm thinking of trying them, and if I continue to have problems, I'll just give up with the K100D.

03-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zou Quote
I'm not wanting to start an argument but the OP has a very valid point. I have experienced similar issues with my K100D - battery depleted message but then the same batteries working again after a few minutes. I read many of the other threads here which evangelise about Eneloops and have to say they gave me hope, so I bought two brand new sets. I continue to have the same problems. One time I can switch on and it shows full power, another (on the same day) no power, then another (same day still) power again. Whilst shooting the readout changes from full to half and back again regularly, so I never know how long a set will last.
Without having your K100D and batteries on hand let me try to offer some suggestions -

1) there could be a problem with your camera
- I know not very helpful -
but it is a possibility -
have you tried a set of fresh lithium AAs and do they consistently work in the camera?

1a) if the fresh lithium AAs do not work consistently in your camera
- then there probably is something amiss with the camera -
but check that you are not testing under extraordinary conditions like very cold, clean the battery contacts - both on the batteries and in your camera -
and test out the batteries as in post #7 above.

2) if lithium AAs do work consistently in your K100D - then by deduction there has to be something not quite right with the batteries your are using -
test the batteries as in Post #7.
Even with new eneloops if one (or more cells) are not charged properly or sub-par/damaged - can bring down the whole set.

3) if you have a an evenly charged set of eneloops that pass the minimum test in post #7 with good margin - and the camera is still not working consistently -
then again there may be something not right at the camera end -
again please make sure and double-check as in step 1a).

I have a K100D and I initially had really battery fussy problems until I used eneloops -
but I made sure I charged them in a good charger and was able to test them to make sure they were evenly charged
and I got on average over 1,000 shots per charge -
similarly I also recently acquired a K-x and I get on average over 1,100 shots per charge (please see bottom of post #25 in Kx in Use) -
this shows that the Pentax dSLRs using AA batteries can be consistent and trouble-free - if one is using the correct and properly charged batteries..

I hope this helps.
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not wanting to start an argument but the OP has a very valid point.
Yes. It's the point made clearly in the manual: alkalines are not supported. If you try them, don't expect good things to happen. It's as simple as that.

QuoteQuote:
I read many of the other threads here which evangelise about Eneloops and have to say they gave me hope, so I bought two brand new sets. I continue to have the same problems.
FWIW, I'd suspect your charger before suspecting the camera. If your charger is not filling the cells to capacity, or has damaged them by overcharging / overheating them, you'd get results like you describe.

It's certainly possible your camera has an issue, though. Did it work for a while then start getting flakier? That's a totally different case than the OP, though, who was complaining about poor performance using alkalines. That's like filling your gas tank with vinegar and then complaining of poor mileage.

QuoteQuote:
If my batteries are 'fried' why are they not still fried later when I switch on again? Can someone explain why the camera gives an inconsistent readout of battery power, or is it that the power of the batteries miraculously increases over time?
Nothing miraculous - battery power does fluctuate with temperature and temperature changes with use. So if cells are on the border of just barely having enough power to work the camera, you'll see *exactly* the behavior you describe. That's pretty much exactly what everyone sees when their batteries are near depletion - the camera turns off, but if you wait a while and try again, you can squeeze out a few more shots. Nothing unusual about that.

QuoteQuote:
yet Pentax haven't bothered to write anything in their manuals along the lines of 'we recommend eneloop style batteries.'
True. I think they should, too.

QuoteQuote:
And why be cheap and supply the camera with alkalines which only last a day or so anyway?
Actually, that much they already have fixed: all new cameras that take AA's ship with Energizer Lithium cells.

QuoteQuote:
Do people have the same issues with CR-V3s? I'm thinking of trying them, and if I continue to have problems, I'll just give up with the K100D.
They don't fit the K200D, but they do the K100D. As far as I know, they are just Energizer Lithiums packages in a more expensive and harder-to-find case, so most people who don't mind non-rechargeable cells just use the Energizer Lithiums instead.

Another option, as has been mentioned, is the newer NiZn cell, which like lithiums have higher voltage and might work better in a camera that seems overly sensitive to battery power.
07-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #19

More or less. My k100D has the same problems described here, and I noticed there's (at least) one much older thread on this forum addressing the issue for the K100D specifically. Mine no longer responds to regular AAs, and doesn't work very long (several dozens of shots max) on brand new NiMh cells (GP, 2700 mAh) with a fresh charge (i.e., straight from the charger into the camera). In frustration, I bought two sets of Varta CR-V3, as in the past they worked like a charm. Nothing. The camera reads them as empty.
When I went back to the shop that sold me the CR-V3 to inquire if perhaps they could test if I bought bad sets, the shop owner proposed he give me two rechargeable ones and a charger instead. I know Pentax advises against using those, but they work in my camera now. I did about 100 shots yesterday, and still the battery meter shows them as full.

In that old thread (which I can't find at the minute) someone discusses these. Maybe it's worth looking into?

08-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #20

Hmm. I just noticed one characteristic of the rechargeables... they go from "full" to "empty" without a warning stage.

So, while they're charging, I put some charged NiMH cells in. All of a sudden they read as full again.

Now, I don't know how long they'll last, and I am by no means an electrical engineer or anything, but how's this idea... could it be there's an exhausted capacitor in the circuit? I can imagine how that would mess with voltages that would otherwise be OK. I can imagine, and am secretly hoping, that using the rCR-V3s, with their ever-so-slightly higher voltage, may have recovered the capacitor a bit, to the extent it now works with regular batteries again. If this is what's happening, it would be a very easy fix for cameras with the same problem.

Of course, it's way too early to confirm the idea. I will report back on the progress.
08-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I can confirm that standard alkalines, no matter how they are advertised, will NOT work in the K200D. I did the same thing. Just cave in and get the Lithiums, or Eneloops. I use Lithiums, myself, I get good mileage out of them.
09-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #22

About a year ago, my K200d was dead. I've tried diferent batteries, and nothing work.

In the same strange way that the camera gone, was back again to life with a set of almost empty Energyzer Lithium (but only after many on/off/on/off...).

Now at the time that i'm writing this, my beautifull camera is dead again at home. Now i think its more serious, already pass 3 weeks, and after trying with the same rechargeable batteries (that i always capture around 500 photos), alkalines, and a new set of lithium, nothing happens, except battery symbol in the top LCD and a "click" when i put the batteries (i think always ear that click) .

I'm affraid that the service will cost more than a new camera.

Lets see what happen.
09-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #23

Hey guys!

I was having the same problem with my K100D, and there was even a thread somewhere around here with my questions regarding the problem. In that thread I've told that a guy in my town had the same problems with his k200D. But he finally got a solution for it and it's pretty simple. I didn't manage to try it out myself yet, but I think it makes sense:

Try using batteries with higher voltage! The guy tried simple rechargeable AA's with 1.25V as opposed to the typical 1.2V that are sold on the market and his k200D worked perfectly ever since.

I think the problem here is that Pentax circuitry requires a stronger impulse initially. I had pretty much the same problems with my Pentax 360 flash that didn't want to get triggered by low volt receivers, and there was a thread here discussing how to raise the voltage for the triggers in order to fire Pentax flashes. Maybe I'm not the kind of guy to discuss these problems, but from my point of view it all makes sense.

Hope this will help!

09-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K200D firmware

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Apparently the K200D was born perfect, because no firmware update was released, while very recent cameras have got already at least one firmware update.

If you got any clue about my batteries problem, or about the absence of a K200D firmware, please share your thoughts

have fun

CJ
I downloaded and installed a firmware update for my K200D. Fixes something about batteries if I remember right. It's been awhile since I did it. I didn't have battery problems, but I have only used the batteries that I found to work from my older camera, a K100Ds. I use only Eneloops and Duraloops. I found that the charger is important too. I use a Duracell charger that charges each battery individually, The Eneloop charger does not. One cell that is 'off' will make the K200 not start, because the batteries are in series.
Try this for firmware.
Latest K200D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
09-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I downloaded and installed a firmware update for my K200D. Fixes something about batteries if I remember right. It's been awhile since I did it. I didn't have battery problems, but I have only used the batteries that I found to work from my older camera, a K100Ds. I use only Eneloops and Duraloops. I found that the charger is important too. I use a Duracell charger that charges each battery individually, The Eneloop charger does not. One cell that is 'off' will make the K200 not start, because the batteries are in series.
Try this for firmware.
Latest K200D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
Cyberjunkie's OP was on Mar 12 and the Firmware was released Apr 22, 2010. Pentax only stated it was for the memory card issue some people were having.
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #26

"Do people have the same issues with CR-V3s? I'm thinking of trying them, and if I continue to have problems, I'll just give up with the K100D."

...They don't fit the K200D, but they do the K100D. As far as I know, they are just Energizer
...Lithiums packages in a more expensive and harder-to-find case, so most people who don't
...mind non-rechargeable cells just use the Energizer Lithiums instead.

You might think that, but I've used CR-V3s in my K100D and found them a bit longer lasting than the Eng-Lith AA's. One other point which may or may not be relevant , CR-V3s only use half the contact points of AAs. They don't use/need the contact points in the battery cover which would be the ones most exposed to potential trouble thru wear and tear. Luckily I have access thru a military base exchange to fairly cheap CR-V3s and use them instead of AAs when I can. I also use multiple sets of the enerloops and so far so good in all my cameras.
09-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by hiddenhallow Quote
Hey guys!

I was having the same problem with my K100D, and there was even a thread somewhere around here with my questions regarding the problem. In that thread I've told that a guy in my town had the same problems with his k200D. But he finally got a solution for it and it's pretty simple. I didn't manage to try it out myself yet, but I think it makes sense:

Try using batteries with higher voltage! The guy tried simple rechargeable AA's with 1.25V as opposed to the typical 1.2V that are sold on the market and his k200D worked perfectly ever since.

I think the problem here is that Pentax circuitry requires a stronger impulse initially. I had pretty much the same problems with my Pentax 360 flash that didn't want to get triggered by low volt receivers, and there was a thread here discussing how to raise the voltage for the triggers in order to fire Pentax flashes. Maybe I'm not the kind of guy to discuss these problems, but from my point of view it all makes sense.

Hope this will help!

Thank you,
that makes sense, and is precisely for that, why I bought the lithium. Each battery has 1.5v, and Pentax choose them to included in new machines K200D.
Now I'm more convinced that, even with these, the machine won't wakes up, is because it is dead.
06-08-2013, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #28
Inactive Account

Pentax K200D: Batteries problem and Battery Level indicator

Hi all,
I just would like to give back the favor I got from this forum to everybody who posted information or advice regarding the battery problem above.

As many of you, the rechargeable batteries supplied with the Pentax K200 at purchase had to be replaced after 3 years of use.
I am not a regular user of my camera, only on and off, when I go for a trip (1 to 3 weeks mountaineering for example).
So, only after a few months I realise that the batteries were actiing “weak”:Turning the camera on would last only 5 to 20 seconds max, allowing to shoot 1 to 3 photos maximum, sometimes none !!

I went to a camera shop and sending the camera just for a quotation was expensive and unsure of the result.
I was ready to give my camera away to (throw away my camera !! or to give it to somebody or a local school, …).

Before giving up, a while after, I started surfing the web and came across this PENTAX FORUM.
I found plenty of other customers having to deal with the same problem since 2009.
All this information posted made me realise that I had a high potential for having just a wrong choice of batteries since replacement.
I copy here the main threads which for me were very instructive.
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45346-k200d-battery-meter-problem.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/79534-k200d-battery-problem.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93470-batteries-problem-k200d.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199869-intolerable-problem-batteries-k200.html

Based on all this information, I ordered a set of Eneloops rechargeable batterieswith a Sanyo charger

Conclusion:
Immediately, my camera acted fine again.
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR SHARING ALL THIS VALUABLE INFORMATION.

Best regards, sinceres saluations
Lolo
06-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lolo Quote
Pentax K200D: Batteries problem and Battery Level indicator

Hi all,
I just would like to give back the favor I got from this forum to everybody who posted information or advice regarding the battery problem above.

As many of you, the rechargeable batteries supplied with the Pentax K200 at purchase had to be replaced after 3 years of use.
I am not a regular user of my camera, only on and off, when I go for a trip (1 to 3 weeks mountaineering for example).
So, only after a few months I realise that the batteries were actiing “weak”:Turning the camera on would last only 5 to 20 seconds max, allowing to shoot 1 to 3 photos maximum, sometimes none !!

I went to a camera shop and sending the camera just for a quotation was expensive and unsure of the result.
I was ready to give my camera away to (throw away my camera !! or to give it to somebody or a local school, …).

Before giving up, a while after, I started surfing the web and came across this PENTAX FORUM.
I found plenty of other customers having to deal with the same problem since 2009.
All this information posted made me realise that I had a high potential for having just a wrong choice of batteries since replacement.
I copy here the main threads which for me were very instructive.
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45346-k200d-battery-meter-problem.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/79534-k200d-battery-problem.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93470-batteries-problem-k200d.html
· https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199869-intolerable-problem-batteries-k200.html

Based on all this information, I ordered a set of Eneloops rechargeable batterieswith a Sanyo charger

Conclusion:
Immediately, my camera acted fine again.
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR SHARING ALL THIS VALUABLE INFORMATION.

Best regards, sinceres saluations
Lolo
Glad we could help out. The K200D is an awesome camera with the right batteries. You'll be glad you chose Eneloops.