Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*Ist DS vs K10D actual sensitivity

Hi,
I'm considering a used K10D. I've asked the seller to send me raw files from K10D and he sent them along with DS raw files of the same scene. As I expected the K10D has more noise than DS, but the thing that stroke me most was that K10D images were significantly darker at the same exposure settings. I had to use +2/3 ev in raw developer to compensate.
Anybody else noticed this? Could this indicate problems with that K10D? Am I being paranoid

07-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I'll double check, are all of shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity the same? Are you comparing exactly the same scene? The K10D does have a slight preference for underexposing.
07-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Hi,
I'm considering a used K10D. I've asked the seller to send me raw files from K10D and he sent them along with DS raw files of the same scene. As I expected the K10D has more noise than DS, but the thing that stroke me most was that K10D images were significantly darker at the same exposure settings. I had to use +2/3 ev in raw developer to compensate.
Anybody else noticed this? Could this indicate problems with that K10D? Am I being paranoid
The ISO speed rating and the actual ISO speed rating are matching and accurate for all Pentax DSLRs I have used, these include the *ist D, DS, K100D and K10D. As you say, when I used an external meter, then I know the actual ISOs were accurate. At least Phil Askey found the same:

Pentax K10D Review: 14. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review

Pentax K100D Review: 14. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review

So, if you asked me if it indicates problems with your K10D or just the K10D, I am afraid that the answer is Yes. It is just an underexposure problem for your case described.
07-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Well, I'll double check, are all of shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity the same? Are you comparing exactly the same scene? The K10D does have a slight preference for underexposing.
Amazing and wonderful creative new term "preference for underexposing"! Next time we can say about for "preference for out-focusing" if someone reports such a problem or etc.! LOL..

07-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As we all know, better slightly underexposed than overexposed, and it looks far better.
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
As we all know, better slightly underexposed than overexposed, and it looks far better.
Is that right? I always thought that it was best to expose to the right (of the histogram), to minimize noise in the dark areas. Generally, I expose for the highlights.
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The settings and the scene were exactly the same, lit by natural light from windows. A simple cloud over the sun could make all the difference and that is the most likely scenario.
I just wanted to make sure and RiceHigh answered just what I was asking.