Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Wins

Adam gave me the ok to post an article I published on AMW on the Pentax forums. Written by a name that should be familiar to some. He is responsible for the content and chart, and I did a bit of polish and adding of images.

Soon there will be another article that I hope helps shed some light on the greatness of Pentax.

For now, enjoy this little one:

Entry Level DSLR- Features Comparison - AlphaMountWorld.com

For those who don't want to read it all, the Kx simply outclasses everything around that price, no shocking news to Pentaxians I'm sure, however it may get some attention since it's on a Sony centric website .

Just wait till the second article comes.

Carl

Last edited by Rush2112; 03-13-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

old news, but

I just looked thru Consumer Reports latest electronics issue (Dec.2009) and in Basic SLRs, their Best Buy is -- PENTAX K200D !! Not the highest rated (that's Nikon D90), just the best deal. The KX wasn't listed.

And in Advanced SLRs, the LOWEST-rated (after Nikon D300, Oly E3, Canon EOS-40D and -50D, and Sony A700) are -- PENTAX K7 and K20D, which get dinged on IQ and versatility. These ratings mostly seem to track battery life. Hmmm...
03-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Why not throw in the D5000 in the mix? Price-wise pretty comparable, and helluva lot better than a D3000.
03-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah I mentioned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I just looked thru Consumer Reports latest electronics issue (Dec.2009) and in Basic SLRs, their Best Buy is -- PENTAX K200D !! Not the highest rated (that's Nikon D90), just the best deal. The KX wasn't listed.

And in Advanced SLRs, the LOWEST-rated (after Nikon D300, Oly E3, Canon EOS-40D and -50D, and Sony A700) are -- PENTAX K7 and K20D, which get dinged on IQ and versatility. These ratings mostly seem to track battery life. Hmmm...
That it wouldn't be a shock to pentaxians of course .

And who cares about Consumer reports (in my opinion) in regards to cameras. Anyone thinking the K7 isn't versatile or doesn't have excellent IQ needs brain surgery to remove it permanently- they are simply taking up resources in this world that others can use.

Carl

03-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
I did a comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Why not throw in the D5000 in the mix? Price-wise pretty comparable, and helluva lot better than a D3000.
of the D5000 in another article, so we left it out of this one.

Carl
03-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
And who cares about Consumer reports (in my opinion) in regards to cameras.
Who cares? I suspect that, as with many other of their product reports, many many purchasing decisions by non-experts are based on CR evaluations. I'd feel very nervous buying a car that they rated as a lemon. (As it happens, my newish 2009 Nissan Murano gets very high marks, and that DID factor into the buy.) Not all of us care to master the gritty details of wall TVs, laptop computers, vacuum cleaners, etc. So we read what we hope are agnostic recommendations. Hope...

On the bright side, CR rated the Pentax DA-L 50-200 as the best telezoom, and Recommended. The Sigma DC 55-200 got the lowest rating of the 8 they tested, all different brands. But for superzooms, the Sigma DC 18-200 got top rating and a Best Buy, as did the Tamron VC 18-270. I forgot to mention that, despite a low rating, the K7 also got the Recommended tag.
03-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe the lack of "Scene" modes on the K-7 implies some lack of versatility. Can't imagine how anyone could complain about battery life, I'm amazed at how many pictures I can take before I'm stuck with a dead camera in the middle of nowhere after I forgot to charge the battery YET AGAIN!

Luckily, this time, I had a battery grip!

Consumer Reports sucks when it comes to certain products. Not because they disagree with me, but because their testers and audience are literally CONSUMERS, not professionals or serious hobbyists.
03-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I suspect that, as with many other of their product reports, many many purchasing decisions by non-experts are based on CR evaluations.
Consumer Reports evaluations are conducted by an army of people who are instructed to gauge the product from the point of view of a typical consumer who wouldn't know much about the product at hand. As such, some of the conclusions they come to often do not match the conclusions of someone who does know the type of product being evaluated, especially the professionals who use the product on a daily basis to make a living.

03-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, some of the chart disappeared to the right side of my screen and I was unable to view it all. But i find it amusing how the K-x got some many green labels compared to the others It really is a very impressive little camera considering its price range. Pentax did an outstanding job catering to a wide group of people.
03-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

IOW, CR aims at clueless newbs. ;( But I still don't think they give enough weight to in-body SR (Pentax and Sony only), which has a tremendous impact on IQ vs the cost of IS lenses, and weather sealing (Pentax only), which certainly impacts durability. Both of these should IMHO factor high in ratings.
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IOW, CR aims at clueless newbs. ;( But I still don't think they give enough weight to in-body SR (Pentax and Sony only), which has a tremendous impact on IQ vs the cost of IS lenses, and weather sealing (Pentax only), which certainly impacts durability. Both of these should IMHO factor high in ratings.
I totally agree, and I think those things should rate higher too. And price as well, the comparable Pentaxes are much cheaper than their competition. But that's what learned serious hobbyists (ie. me) think, not what a typical consumer walking into a camera shop would consider.

As far as vehicle reports, Consumer Reports has the advantage of inside industry information which isn't easily available to a typical consumer, so they gain a slight advantage there. On the other hand, they consistently rate the Prius a "best buy" despite its numerous recalls (and another possible one coming up).
03-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Unfortunately, some of the chart disappeared to the right side of my screen and I was unable to view it all.
Click on the chart.
03-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Click on the chart.
Oh hey! It's a giant picture! What a terrible way to display a chart, but at least I can see it all now...
03-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great comparison. Thanks for sharing.
03-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Forum Member

Oh, I missed this thread. Nice article, and a good write-up from Barry!

LE- But I'm eagerly waiting that other comparison you promised, Carl