Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Nikon F mount lens on Pentax DSLR?

I have read a few different posts about people using old Nikon F mount lenses on their Pentax DSLR cameras with varying results. I am wondering if anyone here can tell me their experience with doing this. Do only some of the lenses fit? I have read that not all of them will turn and click in.

I can tell from this lens that it looks very close to a Pentax mount (except the metal tab sticking out the side of the lens). Do you think this one would work?

Thanks!

03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have two F-mount lenses that I can force-fit onto my K20D or ZX-M. Neither of them "clicks-in". I'm just cautious about waving the camera around when they're mounted. I have tried other F-mounts; all fit (sorta) but I'm otherwise not interested in them, so I haven't had to look at variances.

Various threads here discuss minor surgery, replacing the F-mount lens base with Pentax hardware. I haven't felt ambitious enough to try. My US$3 Nikkor 85/2 hasn't fallen off yet.
03-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, non-AI lenses can be shot on Pentax DSLRs. Some of these old Nikkors actually turn and lock into the K-mount, believe it or not. But more of them turn only enough to safely hold their own weight. I have tried the setup, with great results. Of course, you must use manual stop down metering, but so what. You still are offered the opportunity of shooting old Nikon glass on your Pentax-- a great experience if you ask me.

If you express further interest, I'll dig into my resources and provide and old DPreview thread, by a guy named Carpenter, who did some pioneering work here. In that thread, he actually gives some specific lenses which will lock onto K-mount, as well as others he tried which only turn enough to hold safely. Also, if you wish, I'll even post a shot. Their are others at this forum shooting old Nikkors on their Pentaxes too. I have seen plenty of threads with examples of various lens combinations highlighted.

Of course, as always when discussing such efforts, there are no guarantees--so proceed with caution. Just because I have not had a problem, nor read of any problems ensuing form such adventure, it does not mean a problem can not develop. After all, there is nothing in the owners' manual about this.
03-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a Nipon Kogaku 50/1.4 that would not mount on a Kmount body, FWIW.

03-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Nick Siebers: I had a Nipon Kogaku 50/1.4 that would not mount on a Kmount body, FWIW.
Nick, I shoot with a Nipon Kogaku 50/2.0 on my K20d. It does not lock, but it does mount, firmly at that. It does not go into the K-mount in the same orientation that it goes into the Nikkormat, but it goes in.

It takes so nice shots too.
03-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #6

I have several Nikkors. pre-AI's generally fit nicely, you can fit them in 2 ways.

I've also managed to fit AF nikkors with no problems (they focus past infinity though).

I've also tried AI (with aperture ridge) Promaster Spectrum 7 to fit successfully.

The ones with aperture ridges will fit, although it may not be very "snug." I've also grinded off these aperture ridges on some of my nikkors lol
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Jewelltrail, I'll save you the effort since I happen to have that thread bookmarked:

Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have a Micro-Nikkor 55mm macro lens that I use this way on my K20D. It's a nice lens. It doesn't lock on, but it is small and light enough that I don't worry too much about it.

03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Quicksand
Jewelltrail, I'll save you the effort since I happen to have that thread bookmarked:
Hey Quicksand, thank you, very much. I just re-read that thread and enjoyed it--several funny parts to it. I also realized, in my earlier post here, I mis-named the author of that thread Carpenter, though his name be Carpents. The shots he originally posted have been removed, which is a shame since they were very good.
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea almost all Non Ai's can be force fitted to a small degree.

Lenses with the AI aperture ridges...if you are desperate, you can have them sanded/filed/dremeled off and be 'force fitted' in the same manner.
03-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #10

Can Nikkor Ai lenses be fitted on a Pentax K-X DSLR either as is or with an adapter

I am looking to purchase my first DSLR after shooting film with Nikon equipment for many years. The Pentax K-X looks like a great new camera and a good value. However, I would like to know if I can use my old but excellent Nikkor Ai lenses on the K-X either as is or with an adapter mount. If I can, I will join the Pentaxians and buy a K-X.
03-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fair Observer Quote
I would like to know if I can use my old but excellent Nikkor Ai lenses on the K-X either as is or with an adapter mount. If I can, I will join the Pentaxians and buy a K-X.
No adapters; those that exist, lower the IQ. As we've said above, F-mount lenses can be press-fitted to the Pentax K-mount. I use an old Nikkor 85/2 (I think those are Ai ridges on it) on my K20D. (I'm thinking of grinding off those ridges.)
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #12

Can Nikkor Ai lenses be fitted on a Pentax K-X DSLR either as is or with an adapter

I found this Nikon-Pentax adapter online today. Has anyone tried it?

MASSA Nikon AI Lens to Pentax PK Mount Adapter Ring with Glass Nikon AI Pentax PK Lens Mount Adapter Ring MASSA - DinoDirect.com
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Moved to DSLR forum.
03-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fair Observer Quote
I found this Nikon-Pentax adapter online today. Has anyone tried it?
I have not tried it. I will not try it. This is essentially a teleconverter. It adds layers of glass and drops the lens IQ. Whatever made your Nikon lens special, is no longer there. It's like converting a BMW into a Volvo.
03-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
I don't understand how those cheap adapters can claim that they can still focus to infinity.

Anyways, thanks for all of your input. I will maybe experiment with some of my old Nikkor Glass. Has anyone had any kind of bad experience trying something like this like a lens getting stuck?

Thanks!