Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k10d and auto focus

Just wondering if this happens to any other k10d owners...

Even though I usually shoot in manual or aperture priority modes, the camera is set to auto focus. When using the kit lens I notice that I can go in sprees of tack sharp shots, then slightly out of focus for a handful of shots.

Before I get any replies for the very obvious... I know where the focus area is in the viewfinder, and I know if my subject of focus isn't in the center that I have to set the focus, hold the shutter button partway down while I move the camera.. blah, blah, blah. Anyway... other than the main obvious question, does anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

07-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stutter speed

What shutter speed are you shooting at when this happens....can you post an example.
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a similar problem and I've been attributing it to user error, though sometimes I'm not so sure.

Sometimes I use too shallow a depth of field and the camera focuses so sharply everything beyond a 1/2" is blurry. Great for some shots, horrible for others, particularly when you focus on someone's nose and their eyes are blurry .

But sometimes I'm focusing on a solid, flat object, shooting at F8/250, good light, autofocus claims it's on focus... when I look at the images on my computer, they are blurry all around. Almost as if I can't trust the autofocus...
07-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll have to find a good example of a photo I didn't yet delete in the morning. I just got home from work (3:00 am) and usually unwind for a half hour on a few forums, then read the paper & go to bed. I'll have more time tomorow morning, but most of the photos this happens to are around the F/8, 1/250 range or faster.