Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
GX20/K20D Shake Reduction OIS SR erratic operation

I am using a Samsung GX20 since May 2009. After the camera has not been used for a day, with the camera either switched off or kept in power-off mode, a half-press on the shutter button does not turn on SR (OIS in Samsung jargon). This happens with either SMCP-M manual focus lenses or Pentax DA lenses. The hand icon is invisible in the viewfinder and there is resultant loss of sharpness. The camera is not used with a tripod and I have not used time delay exposure. The phenomenon can be replicated with both fully charged and half discharged batteries. Reviewing a number of pictures still in the SDHC reveals that the OIS function has been functioning erratically at least since end-January 2010, this having escaped my attention at the time.

2. I find that switching the OIS lever from 'on' to 'off' and back enables shake reduction on most occasions, with the hand icon visible, and this is an improvement over the response last week when the same action was ineffective. The SR on a K200D using the same lenses turns on faultlessly.

3. I suppose I have to take the camera to Samsung Romania but there is a well-known phenomenon with cameras wherein they behave perfectly well in the repair shop, only to resume the malfunction at home. The other concern is that the phenomenon might become progressively worse. The third worry is that while fixing the OIS, they might mess up something else in the camera.

4. If someone thinks I have omitted doing something in the camera which I ought to have done, I should be happy to take suggestions.

05-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #2

Original Poster
GX20 came back from Samsung-authorised repair shop. They found nothing wrong with it and said that it was not being shaken enough for the OIS mechanism to activate (this seems a bit of a stretch). I tried to replicate the conditions in which the OIS did not operate in the past and found that it does function now.
One supposes a further period of observation is needed to see if recurs.
05-18-2010, 03:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
I found the problem set in again on two separate occasions where a substantial segment of the pictures did have OIS operating even though it was turned on.

Typically it happened if the camera was not used for a day or two. I don't think Samsung Romania have done a thorough job and it now out of warranty. Shame on them.
05-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote

2. I find that switching the OIS lever from 'on' to 'off' and back enables shake reduction on most occasions, with the hand icon visible,
You do know that the icon isn't visible all the time even if the SR is set to on? You have to half-press for at least 0.5seconds before it appears.

05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am aware of the lag but it doesn't explain why say fifteen shots out of thirty show the OIS as engaged and the next fifteen do not. Especially, when they have been taken in the space of an hour and a half with OIS set to "On".
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote
GX20 came back from Samsung-authorised repair shop. They found nothing wrong with it and said that it was not being shaken enough for the OIS mechanism to activate (this seems a bit of a stretch). I tried to replicate the conditions in which the OIS did not operate in the past and found that it does function now.
One supposes a further period of observation is needed to see if recurs.
After returning from the workshop, the OIS gradually deteriorated and in April 2011 gave up altogether: it did not activate irrespective of the OIS switch position, the type of lens fitted, or the capture mode selected.

After writing to Samsung Romania they agreed to have their authorised repair shop look at it again. Extracts from their reply explain themselves: " The defect wasn't the switch itself, but it was mechanically misaligned and lever was not action on switch's button...the switch was put in correct position... Regarding yours last year complain, I am sure (and service is) that this defect was there at that time but the switch was probably not so much displaced."

The OIS works properly now. Samsung Romania have shown rare sensitivity to a genuine complaint which is why I am reviving this old thread, to let forum members know.
Chhayanat