Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sorry to hear about the failure Ben, especially with that shoot. I know that it was an important one for you.

I sure hope that you can salvage at least enough of the photos to get you through.
If I lived closer I'd loan you my digital system, although it isn't Pentax
Got a lot of keepers, but the model just couldn't understand that when she struck a pose, I wouldn't fire off an image. Was frustrating to say the least, but I got what I wanted and that is all that matters. Quantity is often the only solution.
I'm glad Pentax will repair the lens for free.

As to the body, it was a post production error that has been rectified. Nothing wrong with the sensor.

03-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just spoke to Pentax. They will replace the AF motor on the 16-50 for no charge...Whew!
It's nice to carry some weight. They wouldn't do it for somebody else.
03-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
It's nice to carry some weight. They wouldn't do it for somebody else.
Actually, they have done so for several photographers. One guy that comes to mind from this forum is Albert Siegel.
03-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear something positive come out of it Ben. Pentax does need to move on from being in damage control mode...

03-15-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it's worked out and the repair is quick and smooth, but most of all that it doesn't break down again for a long time like stuff usually does after a repair.
By the way, you're professional photographer. Why don't you carry backups?
03-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Glad to hear it's worked out and the repair is quick and smooth, but most of all that it doesn't break down again for a long time like stuff usually does after a repair.
By the way, you're professional photographer. Why don't you carry backups?
I have backups...Several bodies, but only one 16-50.
03-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Ah, well bad luck then

03-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have backups...Several bodies, but only one 16-50.
Sounds like maybe you should grab a Tamron 28-75 for a backup since you liked it so much on Canon?

Glad the weird painting problem was just a PP issue. That would have been a weird one. And glad Pentax is repairing some of these SDM lens motors out of warranty...it's really bad to have a measly 1yr warranty on them when they had a manufacturing issue that cause the motor to torque out of place (assuming that was really the cause)...
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Benjikan: Got a lot of keepers, but the model just couldn't understand that when she struck a pose, I wouldn't fire off an image. Was frustrating to say the least, but I got what I wanted and that is all that matters. Quantity is often the only solution.
I'm glad Pentax will repair the lens for free.

As to the body, it was a post production error that has been rectified. Nothing wrong with the sensor.
Sorry to hear about the trouble, but glad for the happy ending. Great to hear the sensor is good; I love that sensor.
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Sorry to hear about the trouble, but glad for the happy ending. Great to hear the sensor is good; I love that sensor.
So do I. Should have the lens back next week or sooner.
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Does this mean i'm going to need a "back-up" for my back-up?
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

So do I. Should have the lens back next week or sooner.
That's good to hear Ben

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Does this mean i'm going to need a "back-up" for my back-up?
it sure doesn't hurt.
I'm honestly not too worried about backup lenses, however most of mine are manual so not too much can go wrong
03-18-2010, 02:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fast, Fast, Fast. Just spoke to Pentax and the motor has already been changed and the 16-50 is on the way back to me.
03-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Great news mate!
But sad that the SDM seems to be a part which needs replacement more than once from what I've heard from others in the forum. On the other hand, I don't fire off 400 shots a day like you probably do so I might be in the clear if decide to get an (and when I can afford an) SDM lens.
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is good news Ben. very quick. You might be one of the few people that can get a direct answer on this. Can you find out if they 'upgraded' the drive mechanism in any way? If they replaced it with improved parts or just used the same replacement parts to repair it.

One thing is clear, service centers don't keep many parts on hand to reduce inventory costs and they had these parts on hand. Clearly they are getting more of these issues than they want to comment publicly on.