Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That is good news Ben. very quick. You might be one of the few people that can get a direct answer on this. Can you find out if they 'upgraded' the drive mechanism in any way? If they replaced it with improved parts or just used the same replacement parts to repair it.

One thing is clear, service centers don't keep many parts on hand to reduce inventory costs and they had these parts on hand. Clearly they are getting more of these issues than they want to comment publicly on.

In the case of Pentax Canada, they seem to have a lack of technical resources as well. My 60-250 had to be shipped back to Japan for repair

03-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

One thing is clear, service centers don't keep many parts on hand to reduce inventory costs and they had these parts on hand. Clearly they are getting more of these issues than they want to comment publicly on.
I love logic...... actually you could easily assume that repair shops should have at least 1 motor unit in stock. You could argue that there are so few issues that 1 is easily serviced. It is more reasonable to assume a mechanical part is stocked then a non mechanical. Bet they don't stock any lens blanks but maybe 1 outer element (even that is unlikely).
Anyways that the motor's fail is real, it's scope appears to be a bit unfortunate, but other than that it leaves room for interpretation....
Ben and his "ilk" are not a large representation of the use pattern nor the "visibility" factor. They could have overnighted a motor from Japan for him.
Since he contributes "advertising" directly or indirectly (as do other pros)" special service" is not unexpected nor do I consider that I should be given such treatment. Actually considering his "stature" I am confused as to why they didn't just overnight a new lens to him. Or why, considering his inferred income and the lenses tax status he just didn't buy a new one?
Apologies for the analytical mood......
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is good news Ben. very quick. You might be one of the few people that can get a direct answer on this. Can you find out if they 'upgraded' the drive mechanism in any way? If they replaced it with improved parts or just used the same replacement parts to repair it.

A new generation AF motor replaced the faulty one.
03-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I love logic...... actually you could easily assume that repair shops should have at least 1 motor unit in stock. You could argue that there are so few issues that 1 is easily serviced. It is more reasonable to assume a mechanical part is stocked then a non mechanical. Bet they don't stock any lens blanks but maybe 1 outer element (even that is unlikely).
Anyways that the motor's fail is real, it's scope appears to be a bit unfortunate, but other than that it leaves room for interpretation....
Ben and his "ilk" are not a large representation of the use pattern nor the "visibility" factor. They could have overnighted a motor from Japan for him.
Since he contributes "advertising" directly or indirectly (as do other pros)" special service" is not unexpected nor do I consider that I should be given such treatment. Actually considering his "stature" I am confused as to why they didn't just overnight a new lens to him. Or why, considering his inferred income and the lenses tax status he just didn't buy a new one?
Apologies for the analytical mood......
I refuse to buy one, as they gave it to me in the first place. As I didn't have any shoots coming up in the next 4-5 days, I am OK for them doing the repair and returning the lens and as this lens is very fine optically, I didn't want to take the risk of getting a possible clunker.

03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to bug you but they actually told that? They used these words: A new generation AF motor

Sorry but we've heard so many issues and not a peep out of Pentax that there would be a solution. Just trying to be sure.
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Intersting. So now there is a new generation AF motor for this SDM lens? Are the new one comming with this improve one?
Someone knows?