Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem with sensor on my K20D and Lens Dying

Freaked out when I looked at my images on my K20D from my shoot for VOGUE. Although OK, when coming in to around 66-100 percent they are rendered more like a fine painting than a photo. I freaked. Happened on my last shoot as well. Calling Pentax tomorrow to find out what to do.

Another curse..during my shoot, my 16-50 motor started to freak out when focusing.
I think the motor is dying...

I am so pissed off. I am so concerned about my next shoot, which is happening very soon. I know this might be considered sacrilege, but I am seriously considering changing systems if they say that there is nothing wrong with the sensor.

PS.when looking at details, it is as if the "pastel oils" filter for photoshop was used.
Shot in RAW at 100 iso at optimal aperture around f8.0/

Ben

03-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that Ben. It's not an issue we've heard reported (sensor) although the lens issue is way too common. I'm on my 3rd DA*16-50mm

Now is this 'oil painting" issue with other lenses? Is it possible the problem is all related to the DA*? When my last one was giving me trouble, I was missing focus a lot and the full sized image looked decent but if it was cropped at all, the images broke down quickly.
03-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Sorry to hear that Ben. It's not an issue we've heard reported (sensor) although the lens issue is way too common. I'm on my 3rd DA*16-50mm

Now is this 'oil painting" issue with other lenses? Is it possible the problem is all related to the DA*? When my last one was giving me trouble, I was missing focus a lot and the full sized image looked decent but if it was cropped at all, the images broke down quickly.
I think it is more to do with the lens and my post production. Will have them check it out tomorrow.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

I am so pissed off. I am so concerned about my next shoot, which is happening very soon. I know this might be considered sacrilege, but I am seriously considering changing systems if they say that there is nothing wrong with the sensor.
There are many reasons for why Pentax is not considered a professional brand. You've just run into two of them.
When I shot Nikon, I never worried about breakdowns, now that I shoot Pentax, I wouldn't dream of going out on a paid job without at least one back up body, more likely two if one of them was heavily used.
And the SDM lenses are turning out to be a travesty.

03-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
when coming in to around 66-100 percent they are rendered more like a fine painting than a photo.
I think you're going to have to post examples. I've never seen what you describe. Ask to see if there are some Pentaxians who'd let you borrow a K20D for the shoot that day. I'd let you do it if you were in Boston.
03-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

So Ben, in my case I feel that something (and the lens was never banged or dropped) happened to my 16-50 (second copy) and it was like the lens suddenly developed a slight decentered problem. The focus was just off a touch. As if a guide or something inside the lens wore out or was misaligned. This all happened at the same time as the motor failing which eventually died. I had the same thing happen to a Tamron 28-75mm. Tamron service said he barrel inside he lens developed a warp and the images coming from it sort of looked like a double image. The lens developed astigmatism.

If I remember, you have 2 K20D's and some very good primes like the 31mm limited. Do some test shots with both and I bet it's all due to the lens, not the body.

Wheatfield, I don't totally agree that this is a Pentax only issue. You are right that the DA* issue is a mess and causing headaches everywhere. But we are not the only ones with lens/body issues. Film cameras were different. all metal and mostly mechanical. Much tougher than today's plastic, electronic bodies. I read about 12 forums a week periodically and there are numerous complains about bodies everywhere and it goes from $400 models to $10,000 models. Just yesterday I was reading about a guy bitching about his $22,000 Hasselblad that was in for it's 3rd repair job after 6 months of ownership. Died in the middle of a studio shoot. The camera has never left the building or been off a tripod and giving him terrible service.

It's not one brand.
03-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
... But we are not the only ones with lens/body issues. Film cameras were different. all metal and mostly mechanical. Much tougher than today's plastic, electronic bodies. I read about 12 forums a week periodically and there are numerous complains about bodies everywhere and it goes from $400 models to $10,000 models. Just yesterday I was reading about a guy bitching about his $22,000 Hasselblad that was in for it's 3rd repair job after 6 months of ownership. Died in the middle of a studio shoot. The camera has never left the building or been off a tripod and giving him terrible service.

It's not one brand.
This is true and very sad indeed! According to Consumer Reports, 5% of Canon and Nikon dSLRs purchased by their members required repair or replacement between 2005 and 2009. The number was somewhat less for Sony and Olympus with inadequate data for Pentax, Leica, and other boutique brands

Steve

(Thinking that my next purchase might be a large format field camera...)

03-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is true and very sad indeed! According to Consumer Reports, 5% of Canon and Nikon dSLRs purchased by their members required repair or replacement between 2005 and 2009. The number was somewhat less for Sony and Olympus with inadequate data for Pentax, Leica, and other boutique brands

Steve

(Thinking that my next purchase might be a large format field camera...)
I agree that QC is not what it used to be. I heavily rely on the 16-50 for so many of my shoots and it was frustrating having to wait for it to focus. When I got it, it focused so much faster than it does now. When it works it is an excellent lens. Hopefully they will replace the motor and quickly, as I have shoots coming up shortly.
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ben, it seems like your best bet would be to get it to a Pentax service center right away. Does Pentax France have a service center right in Paris? Also, does it offer professional services for expedited repairs, loaner bodies and lenses? Good luck.
03-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I shot Nikon, I never worried about breakdowns...
A friend just had the 3rd gear failure in the 5 times he used Nikon (D2X) during a professional shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And the SDM lenses are turning out to be a travesty.
It appears the SDM zooms are more prone to fail than the SDM primes. Anyhow, I agree, one hears too often about 16-50 and 50-135 SDM failures. Still a chance that early copies had a problem and new production runs don't carry a high risk.

Ben, really sorry to hear about your trouble. That truly sucks. Hope to be seeing some Pentax 645D shots from you soon.
03-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ben that really sucks, hopefully you'll get things figured out before your next shoot-up. At the same time I hope nothing is wrong with the 16-50 but maybe an error in your part! Of course I was kidding; but it would be devastating to hear from someone like you, as a known professional shooter does get the SDM failure, it would somehow lower my viewing morale of these lenses more greatly.

Maybe you could get someone to lend their 16-50 to you from France. A 16-45 f/4 would make a great back-up for this lens also.

Last edited by LeDave; 03-14-2010 at 03:07 PM.
03-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Ben that really sucks, hopefully you'll get things figured out before your next shoot-up. At the same time I hope nothing is wrong with the 16-50 but maybe an error in your part! Of course I was kidding; but it would be devastating to hear from someone like you, as a known professional shooter does get the SDM failure, it would somehow lower my viewing morale of these lenses more greatly.

Maybe you could get someone to lend their 16-50 to you from France. A 16-45 f/4 would make a great back-up for this lens also.
Funny you should mention that. I gave my daughter one of my K10D's and my 16-45 f4.0 lens. Well, maybe she will lend it back to me if needed..
03-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the failure Ben, especially with that shoot. I know that it was an important one for you.

I sure hope that you can salvage at least enough of the photos to get you through.
If I lived closer I'd loan you my digital system, although it isn't Pentax
03-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More condolences here Ben.
I too haven't heard of any such issues with the body, but the lens - that seems to be inevitable.
I'm still waiting for my own copy to fail...

All the best for your next shoot, whatever gear you decide to use.
03-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just spoke to Pentax. They will replace the AF motor on the 16-50 for no charge...Whew!