Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D banding issue

Was out to take a night shot today.

F4 iso 100 30sec Jpg 100% crop (same all over the photo exept the horisontal band)
Name:  banding.JPG
Views: 846
Size:  308.3 KB

I had it repairedfor this about a year ago when it stil was under waranty. I haven't seen any banding before now. But this is the worst i ever had

I hope it want show up again

03-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
I posted this because a while ago there was much writing about this problems. Now it seems calm. Anyon know if Pentax has found a fix for this and what it is?
03-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume they replaced the sensor a year ago? So there should be a warranty on that repair which might well be a year. Check your documentation regarding the repair and/or contact Pentax.
03-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Can you post the complete picture?

Did you have a grip on the camera? I seem to remember talk a long time ago (pre k20) I think that when the horizontal and vertical banding appear together, it was caused by some kind of interference from the grip. I think it was related to the ON/OFF switch on the grip not being switched in the correct position (neither ON or OFF).

03-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you have the latest firmware installed?
03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wow i had never really thought this might be an "issue". There were times where the bands of noise in my shots were insane. I thought it was just the camera's capability (or lack thereof) so i never thought too much of it. I even felt a lot of iso 400 were not acceptable. Recently though i've been shooting iso 1600 and it hasn't been horrible at all (also exposing better I guess).

I'll see if I can do some tests with the grip to create problems later
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote

I'll see if I can do some tests with the grip to create problems later
I haven't heard of the issue with the grip for a long time, it's possible that whatever caused it in early batches was dealt with.
03-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Can you post the complete picture?

Did you have a grip on the camera?
Here is the picture. A night sceene
Name:  banding full.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  25.8 KB

No Grip

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Do you have the latest firmware installed?
I've got 1.03

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I assume they replaced the sensor a year ago? So there should be a warranty on that repair which might well be a year. Check your documentation regarding the repair and/or contact Pentax.
I was told the sensor was replaced. So far this is the only photo with banding since last repair, Should i make a complain to pentax about it?

Last edited by Phaser; 03-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.
03-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're still inside the warranty for the part, I suggest that you at least inform them (with proof); it's what I would do. If you wait till outside the warranty, you more than likely have to pay.