Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Question about selling equipment

Hi guys,

I'm a frequent reader, but infrequent poster. I'm looking to sell most of my pentax gear, keeping some of it, but unfortunately, I have lost/misplaced many of the boxes for the lenses during various moves. How important are the lens boxes to people when purchasing? Should I be discounting 5%? 10%? If something is in "good" condition, should I be pricing it at 90% of what I purchased? Sorry if this post is in the wrong section - didn't seem like I could post this question in the marketplace itself. Thanks in advance for your guidance/help!

Cheers,
David

03-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Boxes start to matter when you sell your stuff as near new. Other than that, i think it is only important that you have all the parts and pack it safely if shipping.

I dont know about Pentax, but i think the warranty should be accepted even without the box.

Another thing might be unique, special, almost collectable items. Something along the lines of famous limited's, or 50/1.2. Where you'd like to have all that came with it.
I, for example got 70/2.4 for less than half of the price. Optically and mechanically it is perfect, but the rear cap is not even Pentax, some of the paint has worn of and it came without the nice pouch or anything else. Bare lens and caps.
That takes away a lot of the limited feel. Luckly it does the same with the price. Still, the pictures are outstanding.

I would not apply a hard 90% reduction to each item. Evaluate all of them separately. Take a look in the ebay. Visit this site:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/
And see what does he says about the availability of the item under question.
For example such lenses as FA 50/1.4 cost several times more than they did year ago. So you could actually sell it for more than you bought it, still being under 90% of brand new price.
For other items the price savings of 10% may not be significant enough to choose over a brand new, in a box, full time warranty product.
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say the rule of thumb is ~15%.....
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the prompt responses. This is one thing I will definitely miss about the pentax forums, everybody is so nice =).

I suppose since I will be keeping my k20d + 31mm, I can still participate right? =). I can give some comparison later when I get my Nikon d700 for those who may be interested (needed it for theater/dance photography).

I'll look up market prices and the new prices and figure out a fair price for things.

Cheers,
David

03-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to change your mind about getting the D700 but what's the motivation? High ISO? If that's so, I shoot weddings that often involve very tough lighting situations. Without question, the K20D is challenged in low light. So I recently tested a D700 against a KX. The Nikon is a beautiful camera without question but IMO the KX can hold up well in low light and higher ISO's. Af is much better than even the K-7.

I was giving serious thoughts to adding a D700 and knew that over time that would probably become a complete switch.
2 things stopped me.
SR and price.
To replace my kit with similar Nikon gear, the cost was considerably higher. Second was the lack of VR on most primes under 100mm and the added cost on the lenses that do have it.

So adding this body (KX) to my kit has solved that issue in tough light and I firmly expect in a year or less there will be a K-7 replacement that offers the low light/ high ISO ability (or better) of the KX and better AF.

Just a thought.

And if you sell it all, you're certainly welcome here anytime.
03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
I actually already purchased the d700 with the 70-200/2.8 and the new 16-35/4. The kit arrives soon.

One of the things I needed for the dance photography was the higher FPS as well (got the zeikos grip to go with it). I kept hoping for more out of the pentax, but the # of keepers I got on the K20d vs my friend with his d700 was very low.

I really wish that there was a way to adapt the pentax lenses to the nikon...but not possible unfortunately. I almost went to Canon just because I could do that...but then I would have to dissect the lenses, so I decided against it (plus, canon ergonomics/controls make absolutely no sense to me =).

I've shot weddings before in poor lighting and the K20d actually worked quite well for me with my sigma 70-200 (which, sadly, is missing the tripod collar right now...it's someplace, just dunno where heh). However, with the low light + action that is dance photography...it just didn't cut it =(.

Of course, it could be that I'm just doing something wrong and I'll be disappointed...I'll report back to the forum my results in april after my wife's show.

Cheers,
David
03-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just mention in your marketplace post that you don't have the original boxes and anything else missing. A lot of Pentaxians are compulsive about keeping their boxes, just on the off chance, somewhere down the road they would decide to sell part of their equipment.

Sorry to see you go, but good luck!

03-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about discounting your prices for the box .. the lens will find it's own value as you start to receive offers.
03-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My advice will be to research the prices here in the Marketplace, other forums and in auction sites. Sometimes pricer differ depending onthe lens. You can get 90% on certain lenses, while you get only 50%-60% on others.
As far as boxes is concern, it depends on the buyer. If a buyer want the lens with a box, it will not matter your price. Simply he will move on to another seller.

Also, know how low can you afford to sell an item, otherwise do not sell and wait till prices change or you can get a better deal form your end.