Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax service adjustment cost?

Everyone seems to mention that you can "send your camera/lenses to Pentax for adjustment," but no one ever seems to say anything further. (I tried searching but came up empty. But surely this has been asked before...)

I have a K10D.

Have you done this?
How long were you without your equipment?
Can/will they adjust third-party lenses?

... and the big one, How much does it cost?

03-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It took 8 days (I did take it in and collected it myself). It was not done properly (or at all) and it took another 2 days before they told me that they could not find anything and it took another week before a senior technician could look at it.

The quote was ZAR1200 (roughly US$150) for a five-to-eight hour job and included a full cleaning (requested by me). Note that I'm in South Africa and hourly rates here are probably cheaper than where you are. If it's plain adjustment for one lens, it's probably an one-hour job but they have to schedule it at the moment that body and lens arrive.

'Our' service center is a combined one for a number of brands. My camera and lenses went in just after the holiday season and they were very busy repairing cameras from people who took them into the sea or dropped them off cliffs 8 days was what they said would be the maximum and 8 days it was.

PS They told me that they do not adjust for 3rd party lenses.

Last edited by sterretje; 03-16-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added PS
03-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had my K10D serviced back when Pentax in Colorad were doing it. Since last year they've farmed the service out to CRIS, so new rates and schedules apply.

From their website, they quote $77 for a "Clean & Check Only" on a K10D. If repairs are needed, they quote $260. I'm not sure if this includes return shipping. As for what "Clean & Check Only" means, it's this:

A clean and check is performed only on a fully functioning piece of equipment (special charges apply). This service does not come with a service warranty since no actual repairs will be performed. Work performed on clean and checks are as follows:
Digital SLR Body

* External Cleaning
* Cleaning of the electronic media chamber area
* Cleaning of viewfinder as best possible (no disassembly performed)
* Electronic testing of the manual & automatic shutter speeds, light meter and focusing system (where applicable or possible) to ensure they are within factory specifications
* Cleaning of the CCD or CMOS sensor
* Updating firmware in some cases

At Pentax Colorado they would only calibrate Pentax brand lenses, but maybe CRIS will also calibrate 3rd party lenses. Call them and find out.

03-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgot to mention:
Somebody (I think it is LouD) had very good experiences with Sigma. Not sure which body he/she uses but the combination came back perfectly calibrated if I'm not mistaken.

03-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The best way to find out is to contact them directly.
03-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I had my K10D serviced back when Pentax in Colorad were doing it. Since last year they've farmed the service out to CRIS, so new rates and schedules apply.

From their website, they quote $77 for a "Clean & Check Only" on a K10D. If repairs are needed, they quote $260. I'm not sure if this includes return shipping. As for what "Clean & Check Only" means, it's this:

A clean and check is performed only on a fully functioning piece of equipment (special charges apply). This service does not come with a service warranty since no actual repairs will be performed. Work performed on clean and checks are as follows:
Digital SLR Body

* External Cleaning
* Cleaning of the electronic media chamber area
* Cleaning of viewfinder as best possible (no disassembly performed)
* Electronic testing of the manual & automatic shutter speeds, light meter and focusing system (where applicable or possible) to ensure they are within factory specifications
* Cleaning of the CCD or CMOS sensor
* Updating firmware in some cases

At Pentax Colorado they would only calibrate Pentax brand lenses, but maybe CRIS will also calibrate 3rd party lenses. Call them and find out.

CRIS does Sigma lense warranty work, so I know they will at least calibrate Sigma lenses for you.