Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a K20 "lemon" ?

The K20 is back after its second repair in the last four weeks. The first time the SD card reader wouldn't read, so they replaced the SD card holder and the main PCB/FPC, and updated the firmware. This time they replaced the sensor and (again) replaced the main PCB/FPC and (again) updated the firmware to solve this problem:

It's working, now, but... they don't know what went wrong either time and can't predict if/when it will all go south again for the same or other reasons. I have only a few months of warranty left and I'm not crazy about running down the warranty while waiting for the other shoe to (possibly) drop.

They also suggest calling Pentax and seeing what can be done. Does anybody have any experience with Pentax replacing instead of repairing a faulty camera body? I don't want to get stuck with an expensive paperweight, and this is starting to suck all the joy out of photography,
Brian

03-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Igilligan

I would hope if you contact Pentax you should get one of two options...

They were offering 3 year warranties with the K20 at one point. Since yours has been in for repair, twice... They should at least offer you that option.

And they may be willing to swap yours out for a re-furbished unit...

And when you talk to someone in Denver, check the rules on warranty. I thought I read somewhere that if they repair a problem that the original warranty extends from the date of the repair... But that may just be wishful thinking.

You will know nothing until you talk to someone in Denver... Good Luck and let us know what they say.
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Get the service people to put in writing (email) what they have told you if you can. Essentially, if they are telling you they don't know what went wrong and they can't guarantee it won't happen again, I would think you would be entitled to a replacement from Pentax.
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Igilligan

Did you clean your battery contacts?... Apparently that is the answer for almost all problems related to pentax cameras and lenses

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-15-2010 at 03:30 PM.
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When they replaced the SD card holder and circuitry they checked all that,
Brian
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I think I would be pitching a controlled bitch with Pentax service right about now..
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm a non-photo CS manager, so you can take this with a grain of NaCl...

Repairs (for our stuff, most of which is a few hundred bucks or less, 500 max) is 90 days, or the regular warranty - which ever is longer. This is about the same for every place I know. We are pretty flexible but that is just us :-)

Not all problems have an exact diagnosis, even though they are fixed by swapping parts.

I do not have a crystal ball and can not predict the future.

It's not a lemon until 3 times in for the same problem.

03-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's not a lemon until 3 times in for the same problem.
If it spends more time in the repair shop than out of it it's a lemon, whether it's the same problem or not.
Which I've seen from time to time, with just about everything mechanical or electronic imaginable.
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K, I don't accept your "lemon" definition. You're suggesting Pentax may apply that same standard? Show me where this mythical three-time rule is stated or written in the implicit contract of sale, or the explicit Pentax Product Warranty. It's too easy to dance between the raindrops and explain away any issue by saying it wasn't the "same" problem each time it goes into the shop. That very tired old dog just don't hunt,
Brian
03-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
K, I don't accept your "lemon" definition. You're suggesting Pentax may apply that same standard? Show me where this mythical three-time rule is stated or written in the implicit contract of sale, or the explicit Pentax Product Warranty. It's too easy to dance between the raindrops and explain away any issue by saying it wasn't the "same" problem each time it goes into the shop. That very tired old dog just don't hunt,
Brian
Check your consumer laws. This is where whether a product is defined as a lemon will reside, not the camera warranty.
03-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

While you are at it on the repair issues, write a polite letter to Pentax Japan and explain that you are a long term pentax user, the nature of your current problems and ask if they can assist you. It only takes a few minutes of your time. I did this years ago with Minolta and within 2 weeks of sending the letter, a US rep called me and got the matter corrected immediately. I addressed the letter to the President of Minolta.
03-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I had an interesting exchange with Pentax France Service last year... I had some AF points slightly back- and front-focusing on my k10 (depending upon the one selected!) and I called to know if they could calibrate them...

They said "Sure, of course! Just send it in!", followed by a "As a commercial gesture to compensate for the troubles, we can propose you to send back a brand new k20 instead (along with the matching 18-55 II), pending a 200€ fee...". Guess what I did...

So, you could always ask nicely for such an arrangement, as you really had some serious problems with your k20... Or at least a complete replacement.