Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax guys I need your help..

Since I got the new DA* 50 - 135 SDM, I haven't put it down. Its just such a great lens, and everything works perfectly. Today I went out with all my gear, and when I put the kit lens on, in auto focus, it jogs quickly back and forth and doesn't lock onto anything. I thought it might be the lens so I tried another regular lens in autofocus, and it does the exact same thing. But the 50 - 135 still works fine... What am I missing or what can I try to get this back to normal??? Appreciate the help..

Rollin

03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rollin Quote
Since I got the new DA* 50 - 135 SDM, I haven't put it down. Its just such a great lens, and everything works perfectly. Today I went out with all my gear, and when I put the kit lens on, in auto focus, it jogs quickly back and forth and doesn't lock onto anything. I thought it might be the lens so I tried another regular lens in autofocus, and it does the exact same thing. But the 50 - 135 still works fine... What am I missing or what can I try to get this back to normal??? Appreciate the help..

Rollin
Never heard of that one.. It's usually the other way around.. I assume that your 50-135 is locking on focus correct? In addition to the Kit lens, what other lens is doing this?

You could go through the usual, resetting the camera, make sure you are using the correct focus point, are you in AF-S or AF-C? Things like that.

stumped

03-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #3

Rollin
I've got the same problem!! I have no idea what's wrong. I've also got the K200d, but I've not tried any SDM lenses to see if that works.

Does anyone know how to reflash the firmware? I suspect this is a firmware/software issue, not a hardware one.
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Try to work the MF/AF switch a couple of times to make sure that the screw drive is properly engaged.

03-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you check the setting on the camera -AF.S or AF.C?
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I also tried my quantaray 70 - 300 with no luck.. played with the tab on the back of the lens, made sure the lens' were locked in.. its on spot focus and single frame shooting.. might bring it in tomorrow and see if Henry's has ever seen this.. the pentax guy there used to work for Pentax and if I get it resolved before anyone finds a cure, I'll let you all in!!!
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #7

I've tried just about every possible setting variation, setting resets, removing batteries for a while, all sorts of shenanigans.

So far, the only solution is to use manual focus. With Pentax's old manual primes, it isn't so bad. :P

03-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since the 50-135 is SDM, it could be a screw-drive problem.
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Like LeDave said. Do you hear the screw drive working? This is a new one on me...
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I stuff my K20D in and out of my bag, I often move the AF selector off centerpoint focus. Which sometimes leads to symptoms such as you describe. Another thing to check.
03-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've played with the af/ mf switch, and nothing. The K200 doesnt let you choose which autofocus point to use, only spot, semi matrix or matrix. It almost seems like the drive is stuck between two points. It jogs back and forth extremely quick but only moves about a 1/4 inch. it does this about 4 times and then the focus lock light just blinks.

Maybe I'll just have to buy all SDM lenses?!!!! lol
03-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #12

The K200 doesnt let you choose which autofocus point to use, only spot, semi matrix or matrix.
On K200D, press the menu button, then third option down. Then middle choice. There you go, you can now choose your focus point with your "arrows" buttons.

If you have set option 12 (custom settings) accordingly, you can even have the focus point go automatically back to center by pressing the OK button.

Hope that helps.
03-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've played with the af/ mf switch, and nothing. The K200 doesnt let you choose which autofocus point to use, only spot, semi matrix or matrix. It almost seems like the drive is stuck between two points. It jogs back and forth extremely quick but only moves about a 1/4 inch. it does this about 4 times and then the focus lock light just blinks.

Maybe I'll just have to buy all SDM lenses?!!!! lol
"only spot, semi matrix or matrix" - these are NOT AF-modes, but only exposure metering modes. I guess, you may have selected an AF point way off the center inadvertently, as others already pointed out.

Ben
03-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
well, I didnt know you could choose your focus point.. cool!!! (I even read a review in a magazine and they said the same thing!) And metering modes, yes I stand corrected.. but this still doesn't solve the autofocus problem unfortunately!!! I sent a message to Pentax Canada with the problem, and I may go see the pentax guy here in town..
I learned something new today!!!
03-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There is another thread with the same issue

I myself had the same thing happen for a few days where all of my screwdrive lenses went crazy! they would move to and from the focus extremes constantly without locking focus (ktilens, da40, da 10-17). All of my SDM (50-135. 16-50, and 300) lenses worked fine. fortunately and oddly the problem completely dissappeared a mere 3 days later as I contemplated repair/ replacement.

Sorry i dont have more to offer...but I guess you never know..it might resolve itself.