Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I don't use batteries in my K-7. I plug into zero-point energy, which for the K-7 I don't own, works just fine. But my battery grip is sorta heavy.

03-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't use batteries in my K-7. I plug into zero-point energy, which for the K-7 I don't own, works just fine. But my battery grip is sorta heavy.
I want zero-point energy too. Link?
03-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
proprietary batteries suck, I like my battery grip

(is this what they call a self-fulfilling prophecy?)
You're an idiot.
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #19

Hi CWyatt,
Last year Popular Photography Magazine put out an article about this. If I recall correctly there was some danger in putting 3rd party batteries into the camera. Had to do with voltage regulation. The other thing I do remember is though is during charging. Third party batteries can become overheated and explode during charging, ruining your charger or even causing a fire. Best bet I would say would be to use the factory batteries or atleast a name brand like Duracell, Rayovac, or Energizer if you are useing AA's. If your camera were to get fried and you sent it in for a warranty repair or even be repaired by Pentax, using an off brand battery may void your warranty, or they may say...too bad should have used a Pentax battery.

03-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You're an idiot.
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyb73 Quote
Hi CWyatt,
Last year Popular Photography Magazine put out an article about this. If I recall correctly there was some danger in putting 3rd party batteries into the camera. Had to do with voltage regulation. The other thing I do remember is though is during charging. Third party batteries can become overheated and explode during charging, ruining your charger or even causing a fire. Best bet I would say would be to use the factory batteries or atleast a name brand like Duracell, Rayovac, or Energizer if you are useing AA's. If your camera were to get fried and you sent it in for a warranty repair or even be repaired by Pentax, using an off brand battery may void your warranty, or they may say...too bad should have used a Pentax battery.
My script! My beautiful script! You people are ruining everything. I'm going to report every last one of you.

Show of hands, how many forum members have had a third-party D-LI90 or D-LI50 battery overheat/explode and/or ruin the camera?

...I didn't think so.
03-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Show of hands, how many forum members have had a third-party D-LI90 or D-LI50 battery overheat/explode and/or ruin the camera?

...I didn't think so.
I did have one go bad, I never tested the voltage but it started giving me pink and or pink banded pictures. Only happened with that battery.
03-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

We got cheap 3rd-party batteries for our 5mpx Sony P&S's (P10 and V1). They worked in the V1 but not the P10. Then she dropped and nearly bricked the P10 (I have it taped together, really). I blame the batteries. Cheap 3rd-party batteries will make you drop your camera, count on it. And they don't hold a charge after 6 months. And they never come home on time.

03-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We got cheap 3rd-party batteries for our 5mpx Sony P&S's (P10 and V1). They worked in the V1 but not the P10. Then she dropped and nearly bricked the P10 (I have it taped together, really). I blame the batteries. Cheap 3rd-party batteries will make you drop your camera, count on it. And they don't hold a charge after 6 months. And they never come home on time.
I believe it.

...I'll believe anything at 4:42am
03-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with third party batteries is that they wear out a lot faster. Not just fewer shots, but seemed to develop issues with holding a charger a lot faster. At the same time, when you can buy five off brand batteries for the price of one proprietary one, it is hard to pass them up.

By the way, maybe it is off brand batteries that are causing SDM failures...
03-17-2010, 04:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
By the way, maybe it is off brand batteries that are causing SDM failures...
I've heard that posited before... still not sure what to make of it. You'd think the SDM micro-motor would at least be built to handle certain tolerances. For example, even the Pentax battery outputs a lot less when it's -10c outside, or when it's about to die. All batteries wear out eventually, any electronics built to depend on them need to be able to deal with batteries of all ages.

Personally, I tend to doubt that batteries are the cause of SDM failure. I think SDM suckage is the cause of SDM failure. But this isn't an SDM thread.
03-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow frank! Can you give me a link where to get that 3500 mah version? That's very impressive, and could even replace both my batteries including the OEM one which is only 1860 mah. That'll give me nearly 3 thousand shots before being depleted if I had one in my grip also.
This brand is quite popular here in Singapore, they made batteries for most dSLR cameras on the market. The battery is made in China, but I don't see it sold in China or elsewhere except here in Singapore. We can find it in most camera shops here. Price is around $20usd.

And yes, I don't mind letting go of my original Pentax batteries for this one

Last edited by frank; 03-17-2010 at 03:07 PM.
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Damn Brit: moved to some obscure sub-forum because I'm feeling random today
ROFL - priceless

Best post of the year to date
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #28

But seriously... why does SDM suck so much?
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #29

Personally, I tend to doubt that batteries are the cause of SDM failure. I think SDM suckage is the cause of SDM failure. But this isn't an SDM thread.
EVERY thread is an SDM thread.

By the way, high ISO on my K-7 is vastly improved, well beyond K-x levels, by using Pentax brand batteries.
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
EVERY thread is an SDM thread.

By the way, high ISO on my K-7 is vastly improved, well beyond K-x levels, by using Pentax brand batteries.
Hmm, guess either my Pentax brand battery or my K7 is't the same as yours