Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need Advice Please

Just bought a new Pentax K7, and just love it. I was wondering if product tent photography is difficult to learn? I was thinking of doing this in addition to the 3d computer renderings I do for my clients. This would give them an affordable alternative to 3d modeling. What does one charge for this? Are there any sites that specialize in product photography? What tent and lights should I get to start out? Check out the link in my signature so you can get an idea of what I do with 3D. I surely wouldn't use the photo end for large products, but I can see it for small to medium size objects. Any thoughts on how I can break into this would be great. I think I have the photography experience I need, along with my K7, and assorted lenses, I should be able to do this.

Last edited by Tony3d; 03-16-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added new signature
03-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of tents in different sizes. A very inexpensive way to do product photos. I just put the tent on a table. Use $12.00 clip on style desk lamps and CFL's for light. I usually use 3 lights. Then adjust the WB on the camera and shoot manually.

Once you have the settings adjusted on the camera, you can take shots quickly. Plus you can store the settings for the tent (assuming you use the same lights and set up) as your user setting on the mode dial.
03-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have a couple of tents in different sizes. A very inexpensive way to do product photos. I just put the tent on a table. Use $12.00 clip on style desk lamps and CFL's for light. I usually use 3 lights. Then adjust the WB on the camera and shoot manually.

Once you have the settings adjusted on the camera, you can take shots quickly. Plus you can store the settings for the tent (assuming you use the same lights and set up) as your user setting on the mode dial.
How does one go about getting clients for such work, what is the going rate?
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's a multi layered question. Some is word of mouth, some is self promotion, some is advertising and knocking on doors or a mix of all.

Rates can vary. If you've never done it, the first jobs will be very cheap to build a portfolio. If it's a small job, you'd be best to charge an hourly rate. maybe around $100 plus any materials. Considering that for every hour of shooting you bill for also includes another hour of PP work at least. If it's a big job (like a catalog), then a fair per piece price might make sense. Something that will give you at least $75/hr or so.
it really depends on the client and what your market will bear.

03-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one tent and 4 clip-on lights and otherwise do as Zack. Pretty simple really and the models don't talk back.