Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I still like my K-x, as well as my K200D. I never got buyers remorse at all.

Both cameras complement each other and are a very useful combo. I'm also finding the K-x lets me do things the K200D couldn't - not only low-light ISO in dark places, but also in using telephoto lenses, where the quality high ISO headroom the K-x gives you over the K200D is very very useful in getting the aperture and shutter speed you need sometimes.

But sometimes I do wish Pentax would have put the K-x innards into a body like the K200D's. I do like the way the K200D feels.

03-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm also finding the K-x lets me do things the K200D couldn't - not only low-light ISO in dark places, but also in using telephoto lenses, where the quality high ISO headroom the K-x gives you over the K200D is very very useful in getting the aperture and shutter speed you need sometimes.
That was the deciding factor, not for indoor shooting but for birding I can use higher shutter speeds & narrow apertures for handheld shots.

I think of it this way. I just upped all of my lenses by 1+ stops in speed with the new body compared to the K20D.
03-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'll buy a guitar that I know is better in a dozen ways than my current ones, and its much higher cost reflects that. But after I have it for a few weeks, I go back to using my less expensive Ibanez. I must have bought and sold a dozen guitars in the past 4 or 5 years.
My old Ibanez is also my most-played. But I'm not in a position to try to upgrade. As with lenses, I just grabbed good deals when they came along. The Ibanez was a yard-sale deal, along with a Kay mandolin. The Ibanez didn't replace the prior (but new-from-the-shop) Arts et Luthier, it's just a different tone. The A&L *did* replace a very old Applause (bottom-of-the-line Ovation) -- but then I found a pawnshop Ovation 12-string, so I'm happy as a clam. The old Kay mandolin didn't replace grandpa's 1890 banjo-mandolin, just supplemented it (and is easier to play). The Chinese 'Academy' resophonic (dobro) replaces nothing. Neither do the two Cümbüş (JOOM-bush) lutes, the fretless one in Turkish tuning, and the fretted one that's the funkiest bottleneck 12-string guitar-banjo you've ever heard.

(Other stringed instruments: an old banjo-ukelele, which might be replaced someday by a Cümbüş-Uke; a couple mountain dulcimers, one Chinese-made and a real deal when a WalMart on the Arizona-Sonora border figured there wasn't a big market for such there; a Tarahumara fiddle from Copper Canyon, Chihuahua; and I almost brought back a 3-string standup bass from Guatemala but I couldn't fit it atop the car. Oh yeah, there's also a cigar-box guitar, but that's electric. I haven't bought a guitar-like axe for years now. Maybe my GBA is cured, or at least in remission?)

Oops. We're getting away from cameras. After handling my K20D for a couple years now, would I be happy with something smaller, plastic? Well, I still use small plastic P&S's, film and digital; they have their niches, and they're comfy enough. I suppose I've used enough various cams over the years that nothing seems uncomfortable -- except that damn Graflex 9x12. What a PITA. And the FED-5 rangefinder, but it's just balky. Well, some of those Argus and Kodak 35mm's with twist-the-front-gears focusing are hard on the fingers. Yeah, smooth and silky is better.
03-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My old Ibanez is also my most-played. But I'm not in a position to try to upgrade. As with lenses, I just grabbed good deals when they came along. The Ibanez was a yard-sale deal, along with a Kay mandolin. The Ibanez didn't replace the prior (but new-from-the-shop) Arts et Luthier, it's just a different tone. The A&L *did* replace a very old Applause (bottom-of-the-line Ovation) -- but then I found a pawnshop Ovation 12-string, so I'm happy as a clam. The old Kay mandolin didn't replace grandpa's 1890 banjo-mandolin, just supplemented it (and is easier to play). The Chinese 'Academy' resophonic (dobro) replaces nothing. Neither do the two Cümbüş (JOOM-bush) lutes, the fretless one in Turkish tuning, and the fretted one that's the funkiest bottleneck 12-string guitar-banjo you've ever heard.

(Other stringed instruments: an old banjo-ukelele, which might be replaced someday by a Cümbüş-Uke; a couple mountain dulcimers, one Chinese-made and a real deal when a WalMart on the Arizona-Sonora border figured there wasn't a big market for such there; a Tarahumara fiddle from Copper Canyon, Chihuahua; and I almost brought back a 3-string standup bass from Guatemala but I couldn't fit it atop the car. Oh yeah, there's also a cigar-box guitar, but that's electric. I haven't bought a guitar-like axe for years now. Maybe my GBA is cured, or at least in remission?)
What a tease!

03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
No you won't, I forbid it.
I should really keep the K-x, it's such a low cost bargain at current prices.
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I play guitar (acoustic), and it's the same thing with them:

I'll buy a guitar that I know is better in a dozen ways than my current ones, and its much higher cost reflects that. But after I have it for a few weeks, I go back to using my less expensive Ibanez. I must have bought and sold a dozen guitars in the past 4 or 5 years.

It's human nature, and what feels right for you.
LOL! I used to be the same about guitars... I worked solo for a few years, 30 years ago now, and I guess I have been through 12-14 of them, the one which remains now, though, is the K-Yairi I bought in 1975, built as a Fender copy, long before K-Yairi came into its own as a brand. I believe it was handmade but... maybe rumour only. Love it and cannot part with it

And I suppose I am the same about some cameras. I still have my Dad's Zeiss Ikonta with the 43mm lens on a bellows, with the sutter release on the lens itself, I still have my kodak 105 instamatic. I still have the Kodak D5000 2MP weather sealed which was my first digital, and the Olympus C760 which replaced it (now that was/is a magic little cam). I've had several other digitals between that and the K200D but none of them grabbed me (not even the Panasonic T7 which lives in my bag and which needs to be sold, too). The K200D did, and the K-x has not, yet. You can see also that I am not usually brand loyal, but I do love Pentax... and I want to get the X90 to replace the T7 as my in the bag all the time cam.

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
The K-x excellent high iso capabilities and it's responsiveness makes it ideal to use with the longer lenses I if you can live with it's smaller size.
so, maybe I need to reconsider what I need it for, and which camera is best for which type of photography... hmmm... Thats something I had given passing thought to, but had not thought to put it into practice.

OK, selling is being put off for a while, I'll try it this weekend, I want to try to get some blue wrens and fairy wrens that live near me... and... with the Tammy 70-300 and the K-x in the early morning, might have some success.

Thanks for that
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Shoot both at ISO 1250 for a week and then look at the results.

Seriously, I reach for my old K20D over my new D700 about half the time in situations that either would do the job. Can't explain why, beyond I love my Pentax lenses more than my most of my current Nikon lenses, maybe. Also, K20D is smaller.
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Call me cranky today but this all just seems silly. If the tool doesn't make you happy and the older camera gives you what you want, sell the K-X and move forward.

03-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Can you explain what gives you this "feeling"?
Cold feet in bed.
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

I haven't made the move from K200D to K-x yet because of the size difference and status LCD.

Having played w/ the K-x, though, I'm seriously considering making the switch. Especially if the Storm Trooper version on Adorama stays at its current price (or, better, drops )
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Agreed that K100d style body feels nicer than K-x... I actually hurt my fingers using the K-x for the first few weeks. K-x is such a nice combi with FA 35 though. It can shoot anything anywhere anytime!

I haven't went back to my K100d since I got my K-x. Now it's K10d for manual, K-x for auto. But K100d still feels the best.
03-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #27
Forum Member

I have both the K-X and the K200D. The only thing that I miss is the handling of the K200D with battery grip. Other than that it's K-X all the way! Even my new Metz 58 AF-1 works better with my K-X than my K200D. With the K-X it exposes perfectly, in the K200D it underexposes. Also just looking through the viewfinder of the K-X is much better, it seems more magnified.
03-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #28
Igilligan

Please don't hate the hater

Well, I am gonna bring out the boo birds for sure... I never understood the K200 in the first place.. Wrong sensor/cost to much compared to the K20 bla bla bla

But since getting the K-x my K20 has literally sat on the shelf.

The AF / Pttl flash metering / Live View and of course the ISO 6400 jpegs are all so improved over the K20, that it makes it difficult to chose the K20 on an outing with the kids.
Plus the size, which I at first thought would me a negative... well I was wrong~!

It is small and light and I only use a wrist strap with it and can carry it around for hours...

nuff said! It is more usable! Changed the way I perceive Pentax/Hoya as a brand, since I was ready to abandon ship.
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #29
Site Supporter

The K-x is perfect for the purpose for which I bought it--as a small, light, fast partner to my DAltd lenses. In more controlled circumstances and with heavy lenses, I use the K20 (though I start to notice that a K20/zoom combo reminds me of the 645 in weight). The K-x slips in a winter coat pocket and goes anywhere, so it seems to be with me all the time. Right now, it is the last DSLR I would give up if I had to choose.
03-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #30
Forum Member

I'm carrying both the K200d and Kx for vacations. The K200 balances perfectly with a 70-300 Tamron + Sigma 1.4x AF converter (earlier version). The Kx is mated to a 28-300 Tamron XR for a very compact one zoom set-up, with plenty of room left over for a FA 50 in the bag. These two cameras certainly have different strengths, and it's a blast having both to draw from. As with guitars, the variety is stimulating.