Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-x not keeping me happy

I got on the bandwagon "gotta have it NOW" thing... and I've only had it a couple of months but in all honesty, I like my K200D better.

Anyone else had this happen? Maybe I expected too much of it and myself in using it. I'm used to the K200 and maybe haven't spent the time learning the K-x but I find that I just leave it at home, now, in favour of the older camera.

Sometimes I just think I should STOP before acting.

[edit] I should say right now that there is NOTHING wrong with the camera... its all about my attitude toward it.

03-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you explain what gives you this "feeling"?
03-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This usually happens to me with computers. This new one just ISN'T up to what the old one could do. [But special curses upon Alienware, the swine!] Of course, a dSLR or other digicam is just a computer with a lens mount. And all I had to compare to the K20D were some P&S's. So your new hi-power hi-ISO K-x isn't up to the standards of your old K200? It can't be because of the megapickleage.
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Can you explain what gives you this "feeling"?
Nothing in particular. Too small, too light, don't like not having the top LCD (didnt realise how dependent I had become). It takes great pictures, no complaints about battery life after firmware update, just can't seem to attach to it.

03-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So your new hi-power hi-ISO K-x isn't up to the standards of your old K200? It can't be because of the megapickleage.
Not even about standards. The sensor in the K-x is better, and thats pretty obvious from the outset. And no, not about the MP, I'm happy to stay with 10. It just isn't "right". Anyhow, I'm guessing this isn't soemthing that people generally experience. o well. Its going to have to go to a new home so that someone can love it as it deserves.
03-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
even with pancakes, the k-x is still a little too big for what i want to do with it. I might put it on the used market and look for a M 4/3.... ^.^
03-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had a similar feeling but it's only because I'm finding the limitations of the K-x. It felt good at first but now it feels far too small. No autofocus beam is limiting. I'd like the ability to use an external audio source. After using some DA* lenses the K-x feels like a plastic hunk of junk. Dying for a grip as I shoot a lot of portraits.

*Shrugs*

03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

If you are not happy with our camera, that is fine. It is your camera and your decision: there is no peer pressure and you should not feel any.

One can learn from the experience that any new potential buyer must try the camera in hand first, before 'jumping the gun'. You simply cannot replace the hands-on feel and the personal experience.
03-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My understanding is that the K200D is a pretty sweet camera anyways. The K-x may have a better sensor, but it's still technically a notch down in terms of grade. It was meant as a replacement for the K-m/K2000, not the K200D.
03-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
even with pancakes, the k-x is still a little too big for what i want to do with it. I might put it on the used market and look for a M 4/3.... ^.^
No you won't, I forbid it.
03-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I also own both the k200 and the K-x and actually it's a great combo together-I've never used the DA50-200 as much as I use it on my K-x and now seriously considering buying the 55-300 too. On the other hand my favourite lens the DA16-45 feels better on the k200 and the same applies to the FA50. I rarely use those lenses on the K-x.
The K-x excellent high iso capabilities and it's responsiveness makes it ideal to use with the longer lenses I if you can live with it's smaller size.

This is how it goes in reality(two cameras around one neck)

and they fit easily into one small camera-bag with 4 lenses:

Andras
03-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

I play guitar (acoustic), and it's the same thing with them:

I'll buy a guitar that I know is better in a dozen ways than my current ones, and its much higher cost reflects that. But after I have it for a few weeks, I go back to using my less expensive Ibanez. I must have bought and sold a dozen guitars in the past 4 or 5 years.

It's human nature, and what feels right for you.
03-17-2010, 04:45 AM   #13

it takes time getting used to a new toy

it took me about a month to finally get over my Canon 400D
03-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i hear ya !! i too, have a k200d, loved it's heft and construction, but was looking for a bit more.. i.e... better/higher iso coverage, improved af... and with the k-x, that's what i got... and like you, quite happy with the k-x's performance.... but i miss the 'feel' of the old 200.... but considering the cost of a k-7... well, the wallet had spoken....
i think most of us 200 owners would have loved to have seen an improved k200d hit the market... but pentax did the right thing and launch the k-x.... it helped them financially, exposed more of the marketplace to pentax... and as we see here in da forum... there's been a big influx of k-x shooters... some of them darn good too!!
still glad i've got the k200d though, anytime the weather is iffy, out it comes from it's dark recesses... and i'm ready to go....
03-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
Banned

I'm in the opposite camp right now. I sold my K20D and bought a Kx for the high ISO performance and smaller size for my bike rides. I don't miss the top LCD at all. With my eyesight I prefer using the rear LCD after getting used to it. And I've always used center point & lock for focusing so I haven't really noticed the focus beam problem. I miss the dual dials a little but overall it's been a smoother than expected transition. And the improved IQ and high ISO really make me much happier with the Kx.